PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here riding Paul Klampers?

eBAUMANN
05-02-2016, 12:47 AM
Just wondering if any of you folks have put any miles in on some klampers?

As huge of a fan as I am of Paul's rim brake offerings, I am still a little skeptical about the single-sided actuation of these calipers.

Im particularly curious about how they feel vs TRP spyres, which have pretty much set the bar for me as far as cable actuated calipers are concerned.

Thanks in advance for your 2c!

https://paulcomp.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/klamper_gallery_2.jpg

MTB81
05-07-2016, 06:22 AM
Also curious ..

guido
05-07-2016, 06:46 AM
I have a set and a pair of nice Velocity wheels to go with them. Just waiting for the right bike to make it all work....

gdw
05-07-2016, 10:24 AM
I have no first hand experience with them but have a friend who tried them on a mtb and was underwhelmed. They look great but their performance isn't dramatically different than BB7s.

eBAUMANN
05-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Since posting this I found a few "reviews" that commented on a few design flaws in the caliper.

1 - the angle of the cable exiting the micro-adjuster is pretty dramatic on the longer arm design for mtb use, seems they were designed primarily with short pull levers in mind.

2 - the caliper itself is very wide, which on a low mount dropout can result in it overhanging the chain stay quite a bit and causing heel-clearance issues.

I love Paul, both the parts the make and as a company...but I think they might need to rethink this one a bit. The spyre has sorta set the standard for what a mechanical caliper should be these days (both in form factor and design) and I think Paul would have done well to use it as a jumping-off point for their own design, instead of the less-than-awesome bb7 style actuation.

That said, I look forward to the opportunity to ride these myself some day and prove myself wrong.

bicycletricycle
05-07-2016, 12:34 PM
I know this only addresses one of your listed problems but you can just get some paul canti-lever levers which are short pull, no need for the longer arm on the caliper.

Aren't most mountain shifters available as separate pods these days?

eBAUMANN
05-07-2016, 12:39 PM
I know this only addresses one of your listed problems but you can just get some paul canti-lever levers which are short pull, no need for the longer arm on the caliper.

Aren't most mountain shifters available as separate pods these days?

Good point, hadn't thought of that as I was personally hoping to use em with drop-bar levers anyways.

bobswire
05-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Just wondering if any of you folks have put any miles in on some klampers?

As huge of a fan as I am of Paul's rim brake offerings, I am still a little skeptical about the single-sided actuation of these calipers.

Im particularly curious about how they feel vs TRP spyres, which have pretty much set the bar for me as far as cable actuated calipers are concerned.

Thanks in advance for your 2c!

https://paulcomp.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/klamper_gallery_2.jpg

What is the difference between Spyres vs. BB7. Is the price up charge worth it?
I may be building up a 96er (for a friend or me too) and was going to use the BB7 since they have served me well.

http://i67.tinypic.com/ao2td5.jpg

eBAUMANN
05-07-2016, 12:48 PM
What is the difference between Spyres vs. BB7. Is the price up charge worth it?
I may be building up a 96er (for a friend or me too) and was going to use the BB7 since they have served me well.

The biggest difference is that spyres have dual pad actuation vs the bb7/klampers single pad actuation.

Dual pad actuation - both pads simultaneously move into contact with the rotor, minimal/no rotor deflection while braking, very easy to adjust, more even pad wear. same actuation movement used by hydraulic systems.

Single pad actuation - one pad is pushed into the rotor which is then pushed into a stationary pad on the other side of said rotor. rotor deflects while braking, harder to adjust.

bobswire
05-07-2016, 12:54 PM
The biggest difference is that spyres have dual pad actuation vs the bb7/klampers single pad actuation.

Dual pad actuation - both pads simultaneously move into contact with the rotor, minimal/no rotor deflection while braking, very easy to adjust, more even pad wear. same actuation movement used by hydraulic systems.

Single pad actuation - one pad is pushed into the rotor which is then pushed into a stationary pad on the other side of said rotor. rotor deflects while braking, harder to adjust.

Thanks was just checking the price difference,not that big of an up charge and may be well worth it. :beer:

mwynne
05-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Thanks was just checking the price difference,not that big of an up charge and may be well worth it. :beer:

I upgraded from BB7s to Spyres almost as soon as the Spyres came out. 100% worth it in my mind - better performance, way easier set up and maintain (and nicer looking, IMO).

gdw
05-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Bob
Spyres are TRP's road and cross brake, the Spyke is their mtb specific brake.

bobswire
05-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Bob
Spyres are TRP's road and cross brake, the Spyke is their mtb specific brake.

Good to know,Thanks!

bmeryman
05-07-2016, 05:19 PM
I've got experience setting up/using most mechanical disc setups. Although I love Paul stuff, I'm not really enthusiastic about the Klampers. I going that there was some cable drag when setting them up a couple times.

Right now I'm running Hayes CX Pro calipers with Paul short pull levers. Inexpensive calipers and super easy to set up/nice to use. I'm happy to share more user experience once I get to a computer.

I will say that the Klampers are extremely serviceable, which is really cool.