PDA

View Full Version : Colnago Cristallo?

orbea65
06-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Anyone had te opportunity to try one of these? Or even see one up close? Can't seem to find many reviews at all about this frame.
Thanks

catulle
06-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Anyone had te opportunity to try one of these? Or even see one up close? Can't seem to find many reviews at all about this frame.
Thanks

I almost bought one (actually, I had placed the order for one), but was persuaded by a friend and knowledgeable dude to buy a C-50 instead. I don't recall exactly what were his arguments, but I think it was something about the Cristallo being cheaper to build, sturdier to be transported around, heavier, and not as fine a ride as the C-50, iirc, atmo. Please don't take my word for it, I really don't remember well why I was persuaded to buy the C-50 instead, but I'm very pleased with my decision. Wait around and you might get a better response. Obtuse ought to give you a first rate response, atmo.

CalfeeFly
06-22-2006, 09:34 AM
You got good advice. The C-50 is among the very best of frames with none really better...just different.

The reason for so little on the Cristallo is one of the molds broke with cut production severely. There just are not that many made yet.

I've never met an unhappy C-50 owner. If the money is there you can't go wrong.

allezdude
06-22-2006, 09:41 AM
First, the Cristallo is a compact design and although you can get a C-50 in compact I've never seen one.

I test rode a Cristallo on a short ride (25 miles). I found the front end to be very quick. Haven't ridden a C-50 so can't compare them.

To me, the biggest negative would be resale value. The C-50 will probably hold its value better than the Cristallo and be easier to sell.

Check the Trialtir website, they have a fleet of demo 'Nagos that are making their way around the U.S., maybe you can snag a test ride.

itsalldark
06-23-2006, 05:54 PM
I own a C-50 in a compact and love it!

obtuse
06-23-2006, 06:03 PM
the cristallo is a reaonablly light nice riding road bike but it lacks the solid feel and torsional rigidity of the c50. it's lighter though-and cheaper and easier to make.

obtuse