PDA

View Full Version : Giordana spica

Hilltopperny
05-01-2016, 12:08 PM
I just picked up a giordana spica tsx tubed frame. Anybody have any info on it would be greatly appreciated. It looks like a great frame, but there is a lock stuck on it that I'm going to have to saw off and the seat binder bolt is stripped. So it's not going to be the easiest task to get it together, but certainly looks like it will be worth it :beer:

Tickdoc
05-01-2016, 12:17 PM
I just picked up a giordana spica tsx tubed frame. Anybody have any info on it would be greatly appreciated. It looks like a great frame, but there is a lock stuck on it that I'm going to have to saw off and the seat binder bolt is stripped. So it's not going to be the easiest task to get it together, but certainly looks like it will be worth it :beer:

Pics?

Hilltopperny
05-01-2016, 12:27 PM
I haven't been able to post pics in over a month for some reason. It's black with neon green, yellow and pink panels.

cachagua
05-01-2016, 12:27 PM
I think you'll find yourself well rewarded for those two small tasks. After a few dozen miles, they'll seem insignificant.

But totally show us some photos!

Hilltopperny
05-01-2016, 01:09 PM
I will take some later today. It's a hodge podge of Shimano with unmatched wheels. It does have the original dura ace 7400 cranks, internal cable routing and pantoed stays. Looks to be my size and I haven't had an Italian in my stable since my pinarello stelvio. I'll have to email them to one of you fine forum members in order to get them up. Owner also had flat bars on it, but it came with a nice 3ttt pro titanium stem and cinelli bars :D

alexstar
05-01-2016, 04:01 PM
One of my old roommates had one in that color scheme. Very nicely finished bike. I've heard rumors that they were designed by Dario Pegoretti and built by Pinarello but I've also heard that they were built by Billato. Who knows really. Cool bike though, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures :beer:

ultraman6970
05-01-2016, 04:13 PM
THe few giordana frames ive seen turned in very nice and well finished bikes.

Pictures!

Hilltopperny
05-01-2016, 04:53 PM
One of my old roommates had one in that color scheme. Very nicely finished bike. I've heard rumors that they were designed by Dario Pegoretti and built by Pinarello but I've also heard that they were built by Billato. Who knows really. Cool bike though, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures :beer:
Yes I red that dario was contracted to build some of the Giordana frames. That would be awesome. I have some work cut out for me, but I think it will definitely be worth it. The frame has some scratches and the decals are certainly dry and flaking a bit. Seems a recurring theme with Italian bikes from that Era. My pinarello suffered from the same affliction.

cadence90
05-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Yes I red that dario was contracted to build some of the Giordana frames.

As alexstar stated, who knows. But if you have not contacted him yet, Nelson at Gita is a good guy to talk to about Giordanas.

Hilltopperny
05-01-2016, 05:14 PM
As alexstar stated, who knows. But if you have not contacted him yet, Nelson at Gita is a good guy to talk to about Giordanas.

Thanks! I just got it home today and haven't even taken it out of my hatchback. I will definitely contact him and try to find out more. I'm trying to figure out how to get the giant lock that is attached off and then I am going to do some more research.

cadence90
05-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Thanks! I just got it home today and haven't even taken it out of my hatchback. I will definitely contact him and try to find out more. I'm trying to figure out how to get the giant lock that is attached off and then I am going to do some more research.

Nelson's a good guy. Gather as much info re: BB shell marking/serial number, other frame/fork/steerer markings, etc. as you can, to have ready when you talk to him.

GITA BIKE
BY EMAIL
For questions or comments, email us:
info@gitabike.com

BY PHONE
Consumers: 800.729.4482

Do you mean something like a Kryponite lock? Do you know anyone with a good grinder? Perhaps your mechanic?

Hilltopperny
05-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Nelson's a good guy. Gather as much info re: BB shell marking/serial number, other frame/fork/steerer markings, etc. as you can, to have ready when you talk to him.

Do you mean something like a Kryponite lock? Do you know anyone with a good grinder? Perhaps your mechanic?
Yes it's very similar to a kryptonite lock. It's a u lock. I can probably grab a grinder tomorrow.

Hilltopperny
05-01-2016, 06:21 PM
She is very dirty and still has the flat bars and u lock attached and mismatched wheels, but here are some pics.

zmudshark
05-01-2016, 06:25 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17903

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/218504-giordana-spica-rev-1-a.html

csm
05-01-2016, 06:28 PM
I've got a Polaris hanging in the garage...SLX tubing. Rode nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hilltopperny
05-01-2016, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the links! :beer:

cadence90
05-01-2016, 06:49 PM
She is very dirty and still has the flat bars and u lock attached and mismatched wheels, but here are some pics.
It looks like there could be a jewel under all that. Very nice. Congratulations.

That fellow (55/rad) had/has some of the nicest vintage Italian bicycles. There was one (I don't recall the brand/model now) that he stripped completely, down to the full chrome, then polished and built. It was truly amazing. Great photographs too.

Hilltopperny
05-01-2016, 07:01 PM
It looks like there could be a jewel under all that. Very nice. Congratulations.

That fellow (55/rad) had/has some of the nicest vintage Italian bicycles. There was one (I don't recall the brand/model now) that he stripped completely, down to the full chrome, then polished and built. It was truly amazing. Great photographs too.

Yes his collection and photography skills are top notch. I have an admitted bike addiction and from what I've seen his collection puts mine to shame. I'm going to see if I can get the lock off tomorrow and then start pulling things from my bin to get this set up for a ride. Give it a good cleaning and see what kind of build I should use. I have a set of tubulars with dura ace hubs that came with my nova special x that will probably go nice with it.

Tickdoc
05-01-2016, 07:59 PM
That is sweet, but it is too small for you, so you might as well ship it my way ;-)

zmudshark
05-01-2016, 08:15 PM

I think that was his black/smoked chrome Pinarello. Don't know what happened to him.

cadence90
05-01-2016, 08:18 PM
I think that was his black/smoked chrome Pinarello. Don't know what happened to him.

Exactly! Thanks! Damn, that thing was super. Montello, right?

I don't know either. I don't even remember: did he post that here (Serotta), or on RBR, or on WW? His collection was really good.

Hilltopperny
05-01-2016, 08:51 PM
That is sweet, but it is too small for you, so you might as well ship it my way ;-)

It's 54 square which definitely works for me! :banana:

Hilltopperny
05-16-2016, 12:05 PM
I found out that this a very early spica. It's a peg design, but he only torched some prototypes. I also found out its a 53cm which gives it a 54cm top tube. Nice riding bike, but went a little bike crazy early this spring and think I'm going to sell this one.