PDA

View Full Version : My wife’s suspicions have been confirmed

velotel
05-01-2016, 05:13 AM
Incontrovertible proof that her husband is stark raving mad, no two ways about it. Yesterday afternoon, I needed a ride, like badly needed a ride. The bod shuddering and shaking, the gray matter going all wobbly and spinning inside the cage that’s my head, definitely time to ride. And it was raining. But lightly.

No problem, drop down into the valley, probably dry there, or maybe dry there, or at least dryer there. Besides, it’s just an annoyingly persistent shower. Layered up, wrapped my phone and wallet inside a plastic bag, put the bike in the truck, headed off. Two minutes later the rain starts splattering the car with force. Well, damn. Hit the valley floor, still raining. I stall for time by fumbling around with thoughts on what I’ll ride. Or even if I’ll ride. I mean getting caught in the rain during a ride is one thing, starting off a ride in the rain is an entirely different scenario.

Enough stalling, time to ride, do a portion of my farm roads time trial course, enough to satisfy the needs until another day. My time trial course is broken up in unequal thirds. The shortest of the three is the second third. I park on the limit between the first and the second. Figure I’ll ride to the third third and back. Should be enough. Still raining, hard enough to hear it on the roof of my truck. Bike out, shoes on, layers zipped up, do a quick burn, day like this pretty much mandatory. Like putting a finger on the scale.

Roll into the wetness, small roads, rustic asphalt all gnarly and calloused like an old farmer’s hands. It’s spring so lots of fresh patches of blacktop dressed with thin robes of fine gravel. I’m running 28 mm tires with low pressure so no problem. On the big ring, small cog in back, rolling fast, through the rain. Thoroughly enjoying myself. The farmers have been working the fields along the road and every time they drive their tractors onto the road, they leave smears and clogs of dirt behind. The road transformed into modern art.

Hit the frontier between the second and third thirds and slow just enough to make sure the highway’s clear then hammer across and into the third third, the longest of the three. With that the rain discovers a new level of enthusiasm but too late now, I’m in the rhythm, the bit between my teeth, no way the rain’s stopping me. Plus since the wind’s in my face I know the return is going to be fast. Not crazy fast, wind’s not strong enough for that, but fast enough.

I’m deep into the last third, the road weaving through some pockets of forest, and I’m flat flying up the valley. All things being relative of course. I mean I’m alone out here so there’s no one to measure my speed against which means if I feel fast, I am fast. By now I’ve got to be pretty friggin wet but I don’t feel wet, not even my feet feel wet. Might be because I can’t feel them. But if I look down, there they are still clipped into fast spinning pedals so all must be well.

Get to the end, decision time. I could go left and climb up onto a low plateau for a return loop or just reverse all I just rode. The plateau’s good, but not today. Too much fun powering the flats. Do a lazy turn around, a rolling rest, back into the fray, moving down the cogs, picking up speed, sliding into my Cancellara mode, which admittedly hasn’t been upgraded in way too long. I suspect my version can’t even be updated anymore; the hardware’s too old.

Wind on the back, speed city, rain or no rain. Rain means no ambulatory road furniture, as in walkers, mothers pushing strollers, small kids on bikes guarded by parents on foot, dogs darting left and right, runners, joggers, adolescents playing with their phones, the usual suspects. Actually I finally did come across two walkers, an older couple strolling through the rain. They heard me coming up behind them and turned around and looked to see what the noise was. And just stood there, pretty well blocking up the road, staring at me with that deer in the headlamps look. I hugged the left margin, flew by in a spray of dirty water.

Cross back into the second third, jamming hard, hit the frontier between the second and the first, blast across and start ripping across the first third, rain pelting down out of low clouds, and I’m grinning like an idiot. The first third has lots of optional dirt road sections, I hit them all, splashing through puddles, mud splattering out from under the tires. Get to the start of the first third, turn around, head back, intensity needle still hovering in the red, only now the speed has faded. Must admit when I turned around I glanced a little longingly at where I usually park and was thinking would have been nice if my car was there instead of back on the far side of the first third, the second longest. Ducked my head, called down to the engine department for more power, blasted on down the dirt road, following my tracks I’d left coming. I was impressed by how deep they were. No wonder I was moving slower!

Hit the frontier between the first and second thirds, turned right, a hundred meters later back at my car. Stop, manage to not fall over, just stand there straddling the top tube for a minute, finally and rather slowly and carefully swing my leg over the saddle. Not easy. Bike back in the truck, change shoes, slide into the driver’s seat, settle back, beat. Over two hours of riding through the rain, intensity needle almost bouncing off the limit peg the whole time, just insane. No question about it. I mean, I’m talking totally insane good fun. Yes!

Get back to the house, my wife looks at me, shakes her head, mutters something about people my age knowing better. What can I say, no age limit to fun. Bag it while I can. Excellent!

weisan
05-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Incontrovertible proof that her husband is stark raving mad, no two ways about it. Yesterday afternoon, I needed a ride, like badly needed a ride....I mean getting caught in the rain during a ride is one thing, starting off a ride in the rain is an entirely different scenario....
Get back to the house, my wife looks at me, shakes her head, mutters something about people my age knowing better. What can I say, no age limit to fun. Bag it while I can. Excellent!

velo pal, obviously U didn't take any pictures on this ride and I can understand why...so I took the liberty to provide one.:D

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mak53uGHJd1qmd2ybo1_500.jpg

Brian Cdn
05-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Made my day..

Bravo.

laupsi
05-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Crazy to others, genius to those in the know!

:beer:

Black Dog
05-01-2016, 07:57 AM

And these are the only rules. Everything else is a distraction.

Mzilliox
05-01-2016, 08:17 AM
burn one and bag it while you can. i dig your style dude

thwart
05-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Yesterday afternoon, I needed a ride, like badly needed a ride. The bod shuddering and shaking, the gray matter going all wobbly and spinning inside the cage that’s my head, definitely time to ride.
Been there, done that.

Great ride description... didn't even miss the pics...

bobswire
05-01-2016, 10:06 AM
And my family think I'm a old cycling nut, at this point in my life I draw the line to riding in rain, sprinkles o.k. rain,nada. Good show Velotel

doomridesout
05-01-2016, 10:36 AM
I remember a great day on the bike with two friends, we're rolling fast, taking digs at each other, trying to drop each other, but playfully. The clouds got a bit thicker and then about 10 miles from home-- complete and utter downpour. All joking to the side, shift up three or four cogs and begin to absolutely mash it home-- no close drafting to avoid the thick black rooster tails, just three men time trialing 30 feet apart back-- the burn in the legs from the earlier ride cooled by cold rain. Back without getting cold-- the only mandate.

2metalhips
05-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Thanks, well done, I can relate.

cachagua
05-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Ohhh, you're killin' me. I *so* miss a good rain ride now and then, the kind that makes you grin like that.

What?! No need to defend this to anyone -- you dry off afterwards, it's not like there's a worldwide shortage of towels or something!

Hey -- tell her to come along herself next time.

benb
05-01-2016, 01:52 PM
I don't think you're terminally bad because you put the bike in the car rather than just riding right out of your hose despite any weather that could possibly come out of your way.

I understand. I got to call my wife on the phone yesterday and tell her I had gotten lost about 50 miles from home in the middle of nowhere. It is quite funny to ask people out on the road for directions in south western NH when you live 10 miles from Boston. Then I had to race the sun home. Left the house at around 2:15 pm in the afternoon and got home at 7:47PM, about 20 minutes after sunset. And all I had to wear was my sunglasses, which are Rx so I couldn't take them off! Epic ride though, 82 miles, 3700 feet of climbing, moving time 4:42. Good for me mentally as I'm getting burned out of "training".

jwess1234
05-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Great share! I have the same dumb grin on my face fighting the rain, and the ridiculousness--except my mouth hangs open slightly and I end up taking a drink...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
05-01-2016, 04:21 PM
good on ya. the first mile of a rain ride is the hardest. once you're wet, you're wet! great story, as usual. cheers.

firerescuefin
05-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Long story.....lots of words....none wasted. :)

Enjoyed it. I can certainly appreciate/identify with the way cycling seems to resonate with your soul.

leftyfreak
05-01-2016, 05:10 PM
I don't think you're terminally bad because you put the bike in the car rather than just riding right out of your hose despite any weather that could possibly come out of your way.

I understand. I got to call my wife on the phone yesterday and tell her I had gotten lost about 50 miles from home in the middle of nowhere. It is quite funny to ask people out on the road for directions in south western NH when you live 10 miles from Boston. Then I had to race the sun home. Left the house at around 2:15 pm in the afternoon and got home at 7:47PM, about 20 minutes after sunset. And all I had to wear was my sunglasses, which are Rx so I couldn't take them off! Epic ride though, 82 miles, 3700 feet of climbing, moving time 4:42. Good for me mentally as I'm getting burned out of "training".

That's awesome, benb! Where did you end up, somewhere around Brookline or something? My own mental map can get me as far as Groton, Pepperell, Dunstable, and just over the border into Nashua. Anything beyond that going northwest requires a physical map. Sounds like a great ride!

Rides like this, and what velotel shared are why many of us ride, right? Great stories, both of you!

In my case this week, I let Ti Designs lead the way on our ride, but he has no sense of direction! There was one location that he wanted to photograph, and he got us there easily enough, but when we got back on our bikes I just followed him for a while. What's funny is that he can be pretty definitive in making turns when has no idea where he is or where he's going, so it kind of feels like he has a plan! We eventually ended up in an area of Framingham that possessed a wonderful combination of heavy traffic, strip malls and rundown industrial buildings--that's when I asked Ti if he wanted me to start leading the way again! But this is the cool part: we ended up in an spot that I never would have taken us, but it forced me to be creative in working our way back home, and we were rewarded. We ended up riding through the national wildlife refuge in Wayland and had four great blue herons take off mere feet away from us, and moments later we witnessed a red-tailed hawk plunge from a tree to nab its breakfast out of the grass right at the edge of the road.

No two rides are the same, and they're all beautiful in their own way...

leftyfreak
05-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Long story.....lots of words....none wasted. :)

Enjoyed it. I can certainly appreciate/identify with the way cycling seems to resonate with your soul.

Agreed!

roguedog
05-01-2016, 06:24 PM
A good read as always. Made me smile.

I kinda love me some crazy every now and again :) Or what others perceive as crazy. I kinda dig riding in the rain.

tiretrax
05-01-2016, 07:57 PM
One of my most memorable rides was while visiting a friend in Seattle one summer. The first day, we bagged it because of rain. The second day, I said that I was only there for a few days, so we did 70 in intermittent downpours. In between showers, we had lunch at the Red Hook Brewery. Truly, one of the best days of riding.

Chapeau to you, Velotel. Or, should I say, parapluie?

benb
05-01-2016, 08:24 PM
That's awesome, benb! Where did you end up, somewhere around Brookline or something? My own mental map can get me as far as Groton, Pepperell, Dunstable, and just over the border into Nashua. Anything beyond that going northwest requires a physical map. Sounds like a great ride!

Rides like this, and what velotel shared are why many of us ride, right? Great stories, both of you!

In my case this week, I let Ti Designs lead the way on our ride, but he has no sense of direction! There was one location that he wanted to photograph, and he got us there easily enough, but when we got back on our bikes I just followed him for a while. What's funny is that he can be pretty definitive in making turns when has no idea where he is or where he's going, so it kind of feels like he has a plan! We eventually ended up in an area of Framingham that possessed a wonderful combination of heavy traffic, strip malls and rundown industrial buildings--that's when I asked Ti if he wanted me to start leading the way again! But this is the cool part: we ended up in an spot that I never would have taken us, but it forced me to be creative in working our way back home, and we were rewarded. We ended up riding through the national wildlife refuge in Wayland and had four great blue herons take off mere feet away from us, and moments later we witnessed a red-tailed hawk plunge from a tree to nab its breakfast out of the grass right at the edge of the road.

No two rides are the same, and they're all beautiful in their own way...

LOL.. I got lost in Mason. I actually know that area really well as I used to live in Nashua "back in the big days" and would go riding out west of Nashua pretty much every weekend. I know my way around pretty well much all the way out to the Vermont border and most of the way up to the Sunapee area. (I used to have a motorcycle too so I covered a ton of ground that way too.) In my dreams I will one day keep riding up 123 till I get to Bellows Falls, VT and eventually make my way up to Rt. 100 and ride up to Burlington, VT. (Probably over 2 days.). I was too stupid to buy a touring bike when I was single, I did that trip on a moto many times.

I knew where I was but took 2 wrong turns. I had rode out 119 to Townsend and turned right onto 123/124 and went the wrong way at the split.. The sign was gone. That was fine and I kept going to 31 and planned to pick up 123 the other way. When I got to the center of Mason I took a wrong turn on some of the back roads and wasted some time there too. Once I got back to the Maple Barn I was back on my planned route.

I've rode out there 2x in the past year.. It's pretty far from where I live. I had a wicked tailwind on the way out yesterday and a pretty much open ended time pass from my wife and went a little too big...

I'll have to upload a picture.. One of my main goals for the year is to leave from my house in Bedford and ride up where I was going Saturday but tack on the extra 20-25 miles so I can climb Pack Monadnock before heading home. I have only gotten up Pack once since I moved to MA.

572cv
05-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Waterproof chapeau indeed. Coincidentally, it rained here today, pretty much all day. Mover crested 50F. I had fine day yesterday in a chilly NW wind, so I bagged today, and worked on the 2cv instead. Make best use of time and get the little green wonder ready for the season! Cheers from Vermont.

choke
05-02-2016, 01:56 AM
What a great read.

thunderworks
05-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Six years ago I joined my son on the last day of BAK (Biking Across Kansas). He had ridden the entire route and when the last day passed fairly close to our home, I decided to ride with him. About 15 miles before the end, in Leavenwoth, KS., the heavens opened up into a monumental frog choker . . . It was a deluge of unbelievable proportions . . .similar to riding under a bucket contuously dumping on you. If you've never experienced a Midwest storm, it's probably hard to imagine just how incredible in can be.

At the time, I was really (I mean REALLY), glad when we finished. In hindsight, it's one of my best bike riding memories.

leftyfreak
05-02-2016, 10:45 AM
LOL.. I got lost in Mason. I actually know that area really well as I used to live in Nashua "back in the big days" and would go riding out west of Nashua pretty much every weekend. I know my way around pretty well much all the way out to the Vermont border and most of the way up to the Sunapee area. (I used to have a motorcycle too so I covered a ton of ground that way too.) In my dreams I will one day keep riding up 123 till I get to Bellows Falls, VT and eventually make my way up to Rt. 100 and ride up to Burlington, VT. (Probably over 2 days.). I was too stupid to buy a touring bike when I was single, I did that trip on a moto many times.

I knew where I was but took 2 wrong turns. I had rode out 119 to Townsend and turned right onto 123/124 and went the wrong way at the split.. The sign was gone. That was fine and I kept going to 31 and planned to pick up 123 the other way. When I got to the center of Mason I took a wrong turn on some of the back roads and wasted some time there too. Once I got back to the Maple Barn I was back on my planned route.

I've rode out there 2x in the past year.. It's pretty far from where I live. I had a wicked tailwind on the way out yesterday and a pretty much open ended time pass from my wife and went a little too big...

I'll have to upload a picture.. One of my main goals for the year is to leave from my house in Bedford and ride up where I was going Saturday but tack on the extra 20-25 miles so I can climb Pack Monadnock before heading home. I have only gotten up Pack once since I moved to MA.

That's too funny! The intersection of 123/124 is the one spot on your route that Ti Designs could have accurately given you directions! He and I rode out there two summers ago on a pilgrimage of sorts. The short version of the story is that 30 years ago he was taught a lesson on the climb up 124 to the junction with 31 by the "old guy", John Allis. So, Ti wanted to revisit the scene. (When we made it to State-Line Variety, the sign there said "Mike's Hard Pouches, 3 for $2." It might have been the oxygen debt, but I couldn't stop laughing at that one.)

As for Pack Monadnock, I've never ridden there from here, but Ti and I did drive out to Milford, NH and rode a route from there once, climbing Pack twice, then heading down to Peterborough for bagels. The top is ridiculously steep!

Sorry for the thread drift, everyone!

Ti Designs
05-02-2016, 03:42 PM

Pack Monadnock is a long, hard climb with a 24% bit at the top which seems kinda long when you get there. My first suggestion is to work on climbing steep stuff until you have what I call "steep mode". I'm running the Tour d'Arlington on Monday mornings, that's where we start on Lexington on Mass Ave and go up every hill in Arlington Heights. Bowker St is 22% at it's worst and it's the third hill on the list. School St is 21% steady and it's the last climb on the list - I'm not sure which is worse. In any case, if you're planning to do that ride, let me know...

benb
05-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Pack Monadnock is a long, hard climb with a 24% bit at the top which seems kinda long when you get there. My first suggestion is to work on climbing steep stuff until you have what I call "steep mode". I'm running the Tour d'Arlington on Monday mornings, that's where we start on Lexington on Mass Ave and go up every hill in Arlington Heights. Bowker St is 22% at it's worst and it's the third hill on the list. School St is 21% steady and it's the last climb on the list - I'm not sure which is worse. In any case, if you're planning to do that ride, let me know...

I used to live in Southern NH, I've been up Pack many times, sometimes more than once in a ride. This is somewhat about getting out there now that I have real world responsibilities and don't live near really good riding. I lived in Nashua and could go up pack in a 40 mile ride from my apartment. I've got a 39x28 on my bike at the moment, not ideal but should be good enough to get up the top without walking right now.

Ti Designs
05-02-2016, 04:35 PM
I used to live in Southern NH, I've been up Pack many times, sometimes more than once in a ride. This is somewhat about getting out there now that I have real world responsibilities and don't live near really good riding. I lived in Nashua and could go up pack in a 40 mile ride from my apartment. I've got a 39x28 on my bike at the moment, not ideal but should be good enough to get up the top without walking right now.

You really need to free up Thursday mornings - the really good riding starts in Bedford. We don't have Pack Monadnock, but Old Schoolhouse road in Harvard is kinda steep and West Bear Hill road is another fun one.