PDA

View Full Version : Issue lacing Record low flange front hub 3-cross

Gsinill
04-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Got a 36h low flange Record front hub that I want to lace up 3x.
Started the first set of spokes on the DS and moved over to the NDS when I realized that there is apparently no offset between the spoke holes on the DS and NDS.
I.e. when I pass a spoke through a hole and the one on the opposite side of the hub, the spoke runs exactly parallel to the hub body.

Did Campagnolo ever make special purpose hubs, e.g. for proprietary wheels etc.?

pbarry
04-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Nuovo Record hub, right? Not a newer model?

Gsinill
04-30-2016, 07:02 PM
Nuovo Record hub, right? Not a newer model?

6/7s, not exactly sure whether Record, NR or SR.

Peter P.
04-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Unless the hub was stripped from a Campy specific wheel, those spoke holes should be offset. Something is wrong. Can you provide a photo?

Gsinill
04-30-2016, 07:18 PM
Unless the hub was stripped from a Campy specific wheel, those spoke holes should be offset. Something is wrong. Can you provide a photo?

Sure:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dgmhw7.png

cachagua
04-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Send it back for a replacement.

No, all seriousness aside: that'll increase your effective spoke length by a couple mm., so if you have that much to play with, you don't need to worry about a thing. If that makes your spokes too short, though, then worst-case all you'd have to do is get new ones.

Cost of spokes being what it is nowadays, that's not all that good a worst-case. But still probably less than... a new hub.

That's class, the way you refer to drive-side and non-drive-side of a front wheel. Not everyone understands the distinction.

NO, NO, WAIT! DON'T BUILD IT!! Just realized it might be a dangerously inferior Chinese counterfeit!

Gsinill
04-30-2016, 09:09 PM
That's class, the way you refer to drive-side and non-drive-side of a front wheel. Not everyone understands the distinction.

Initially posted under the assumption that it's an issue with both, front and rear hub, but then I checked the RH and that one is fine.

ultraman6970
04-30-2016, 10:27 PM
Well could be a wheel with less spokes and somebody just drilled extra ones?

oldpotatoe
05-01-2016, 05:28 AM
Got a 36h low flange Record front hub that I want to lace up 3x.
Started the first set of spokes on the DS and moved over to the NDS when I realized that there is apparently no offset between the spoke holes on the DS and NDS.
I.e. when I pass a spoke through a hole and the one on the opposite side of the hub, the spoke runs exactly parallel to the hub body.

Did Campagnolo ever make special purpose hubs, e.g. for proprietary wheels etc.?

No, not of that era. Has it ever been built? I suspect an error in drilling, when it was made.

Gsinill
05-01-2016, 07:10 AM
Has it ever been built? I suspect an error in drilling, when it was made.

It definitely was laced up before given the marks around the holes.
BUT that doesn't mean that it was right and useable.
Maybe someone built it up not realizing that it wasn't right...
Bought the set used on another forum.
Guess I need to follow up with the seller and see whether he can provide some history.
Thanks all!