PDA

View Full Version : what a difference a stem makes

Fixed
06-21-2006, 09:53 PM
bro i just got a stem for my bike going from a 130 ritchey /nitto with a rise to a nitto pearl 140 with no rise . it is night and day, now I feel i'm in the right place ..it's great !. check out my merckx corsa in the gallery for the new pic on page 2 .
cheers

alancw3
06-22-2006, 04:20 AM
it's called dailing in or fitting the bike to the rider. great to hear the difference the new stem made. amasing what effect a half inch here or there can do to proper fit and balance of a bike. enjoy!!!

Lunar Probe
06-22-2006, 10:36 PM
to a nitto pearl 140 with no rise .
cheers

Sweet. Did you notice that the Pearls run about 1 cm longer than their given size?

Fat Robert
06-23-2006, 06:15 AM
word fixed

put an Oval 140 on the ridley and its perfect. might switch to deda deeps over the winter (back not quite flat in the drops, even with 10.5cm of drop).

hey spicoli -- am I still sending you a stem???

theprep
06-23-2006, 06:55 AM
).

Spicoli is MIA. He has not returned any of my calls in 3 days. Last I heard he has rediscovered surfing and is causing massive beach erosion by driving up and down the LI coast looking for the best break.

I think he got a 140 Cinelli from some one on the forum. He been breaking my shoes for my Cinelli bars on my Fixed. Giving me some crap in return.

Fixed
06-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Sweet. Did you notice that the Pearls run about 1 cm longer than their given size?
I haven't measured it but it feels right .
cheers

kgrooney
06-23-2006, 08:43 AM
bro i just got a stem for my bike going from a 130 ritchey /nitto with a rise to a nitto pearl 140 with no rise . it is night and day, now I feel i'm in the right place ..it's great !. check out my merckx corsa in the gallery for the new pic on page 2 .
cheers

Where did you purchase the stem?

zap
06-23-2006, 09:08 AM
word fixed

put an Oval 140 on the ridley and its perfect. might switch to deda deeps over the winter (back not quite flat in the drops, even with 10.5cm of drop).

How much do you bend those elbows?

Fat Robert
06-23-2006, 09:36 AM
a little when just cruising in the drops...maybe 20 degrees or so...not a lot...a lot to get flat, about 38-40 degrees. I'm six feet and one half, but have a six-six+ armspan and wear shirts with a 36 inch sleeve...I can get a flat back, but I don't dig the amount of bend I have to use to get there...

I always looked better doin the 1650 free than on a bike. the broad shoulders and monkey arms are not good, imhso.

(in my humble simian opinion)

zap
06-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Long arm Robert.

shaq-d
06-23-2006, 10:08 AM
what a difference a stem makes
<singing> ten little millimeters

Fixed
06-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Where did you purchase the stem?
bro I got from a forum member 11.4 cool deal brand new shape
ben's cycles in wis . has them too.
the bike went from this is cool to this is fricken great, with just a new stem .

BoulderGeek
06-23-2006, 11:49 AM
a little when just cruising in the drops...maybe 20 degrees or so...not a lot...a lot to get flat, about 38-40 degrees. I'm six feet and one half, but have a six-six+ armspan and wear shirts with a 36 inch sleeve...I can get a flat back, but I don't dig the amount of bend I have to use to get there...

I always looked better doin the 1650 free than on a bike. the broad shoulders and monkey arms are not good, imhso.

(in my humble simian opinion)

Holy crap, Robert!

Can you swing from trees, too? But, I guess all of that dragging on the ground keeps the nails short... :banana: :rolleyes:

I'm 72" square. I don't know what I would do with another 2" on each arm.

All of these long stems. You should just buy stem stock in meter lengths and cut off what you don't need.

I'm thinking the 110 on my 58cm might be too long.

Fixed
06-23-2006, 11:56 AM
bro I got a lot of drop from saddle to h.bars. but for me if I go up and back with the h.bars that hurts my back . i'm much better with saddle back and up h.bars long and low, my bike and i are happy then
cheers

Fat Robert
06-23-2006, 12:45 PM
bro I got a lot of drop from saddle to h.bars. but for me if I go up and back with the h.bars that hurts my back . i'm much better with saddle back and up h.bars long and low, my bike and i are happy then
cheers

word

fit school folks talk about "neutral spine," other folks just say "straight back." some of us are not comfortable with a curved back, and like the long stem to stretch everything out.

your bikes are propah.