PDA

View Full Version : My Garmen Edge 20 uses GLONASS and GPS

Ralph
04-29-2016, 04:28 PM
This is all kinda new to me. And I just wanted the most basic GPS computer.

When I first got it couple weeks ago....it would find satellites immediately. Then somehow....to save power I guess.....I turned GLONASS off. Sometimes when I first started in AM (lots of trees around my house), would take a few tenths mile to locate satellites, and start giving data.

So turned GLONASS back on. Now it locates satellites and gives data before end of my driveway.

Ain't technology wonderful....especially at this price point. Using the American GPS and Russian GLONASS at same time. Hope the KGB don't mind.

TimD
04-30-2016, 08:20 AM
Do the two systems agree on where you are? E.g., maybe GPS has you a little right, and GLONASS has you a little left?

Just askin' :)

Ralph
04-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Do the two systems agree on where you are? E.g., maybe GPS has you a little right, and GLONASS has you a little left?

Just askin' :)

Have no idea. So far....just use it for speed and distance totals.

I just know it starts working so much faster using both. Would think the system is integrated so you wouldn't know which one or both the unit is using.

Some info. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/glonass-gps-alternative-never-knew-existed/

TimD
04-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Have no idea. So far....just use it for speed and distance totals.

I just know it starts working so much faster using both. Would think the system is integrated so you wouldn't know which one or both the unit is using.

Some info. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/glonass-gps-alternative-never-knew-existed/

Thanks, I'm familiar with satellite-based global positioning and timekeeping. That was an attempt a some obscure humor. As you pointed out, GLONASS was put aloft by the Russians.

Pretty handy system. Society has become remarkably dependent on it.

R3awak3n
04-30-2016, 11:40 AM
GLONASS is amazing. I am amazed at how fast it picks satellites up. It is almost instantaneous. I open the front door and done, satellites found. No more waiting for up to 20 minutes to lock on satellites like my edge 800. I have the 1000 now

Ralph
04-30-2016, 12:45 PM
Yes....so far my experience is performance is really enhanced when the GPS unit can triangulate with a lot more satellites. Maybe the European system gets added next. I would certainly make sure any GPS bike computer works with more than just GPS.

Louis
04-30-2016, 01:04 PM
Now we know what the Russian ICBMs will be using as a homing signal when Ralph gets Putin really mad.