PDA

View Full Version : More on the Canadian Triathlon National Cheating thing...

benb
04-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Original article on Julie Miller getting caught cheating:

Original NYT article on Julie Miller getting caught cheating at Canadian Nationals (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/sports/julie-miller-ironman-triathlon-cheat.html)

New article with videos that have come out:

New NYT article (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/sports/julie-miller-ironman-video-offers-proof-that-disqualified-triathlete-cut-course.html?mabReward=A6&moduleDetail=recommendations-1&action=click&contentCollection=Magazine&region=Footer&module=WhatsNext&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&src=recg&pgtype=article)

David Tollefson
04-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Miller, a mother of two young daughters, is a mental health counselor specializing in body-image disorders here in Squamish. She is also a serious triathlete with a long record of success. Before last year’s race, in Whistler, she had also won her division in the 2013 Ironman Canada, the 2014 Vancouver Triathlon and the 2014 Long Course World Championships in Weihai, China, where she competed for Canada and where her win briefly made her the world champion for her age group.

There have been many races where it's suspected she didn't complete the entire course. Quite the witch hunt on Slowtwitch a while back ('Twitch hunt). I think she was also a tri coach... Seems the doctor needs to heal herself.

kohagen
05-01-2016, 06:29 AM
Sure, just like Lance Armstrong, Floyd Landis, and Marion Jones. They never took performance enhancing drugs, until they did.

carpediemracing
05-01-2016, 09:40 AM
I am fascinated by these cases where people deny stuff that's not really deniable. Her, Kip (http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man) (the original marathon cheating guy who went as far as to create a whole fake marathon including all the runners and their profiles), there was a Northeast mountain biker (http://untilthesnowends.blogspot.com/2014/08/sam-anderson-cheats-at-mountain-bike.html) that was also getting shredded for cutting courses. There must be some wiring in these type of peoples' heads that isn't connected properly. I'm just stupefied by the whole scenario.

I was at the Chicago marathon many years ago (2002?). We picked a couple spots to support my sister in-law, including one that allowed us to watch the course twice and just walk a couple blocks (it was sort of an out and back, but on parallel big roads). We cheered our runner on her way out. Then we walked across the short couple blocks. We had plenty of time since it was something like 5 or 8 or 10 miles later (for the runners). While we were walking I noticed some cool apartments, a cool car (Lamborghini I think), some other stuff. Then some guy with a number on trotted by us. Because I wasn't in this "cutting course" mentality I just figured he had a problem and lived in one of these apartments. I realized only years later that he was probably cutting the course. If I ever see anything like that again I'm remembering the number and also will try and take a picture or video of it.

I just looked at a map of the marathon. The spot we picked was around the 2.5 mile marker, which was very close to the 11.5 mile marker (give or take on the tenths). We then walked over to about the 26 mile marker to cheer her to the finish.

bobswire
05-01-2016, 09:58 AM
The Bay to Breakers (12k) race in san francisco was my favorite race and distance, I wasn't a fan of true marathons. Anyway I used to see folks come out of their houses with numbers on to join in the race (festivities) but since this was more a happening than a legitimate race for most (except for the pros) I never gave it much thought (though I took my times seriously) .

ultraman6970
05-01-2016, 10:21 AM
How she did it? thats the important question and she wont tell ever.

Like it was that hard to cut in the marathon.

cachagua
05-01-2016, 12:51 PM
As she ran, Davis looked out for rivals, asking the age of every woman she passed or who passed her...

Guess you want to do that, but it's a wacky image... gasping up a steep hill, "Hah -- hah -- hah -- how old are you?"

Is it the secret way tri people recognize each other?

scrubadub
05-01-2016, 01:22 PM
At most triathlons, your age is written on the back of your calf so competitors can know which age group you are in.

Hank Scorpio
05-01-2016, 04:45 PM
At most triathlons, your age is written on the back of your calf so competitors can know which age group you are in.

On the other leg is a running total of how many times you have crashed your bike that day when L >~R you have to stop and go home.

unterhausen
05-01-2016, 08:21 PM
wow, she started the marathon leg 8 minutes behind the woman she "beat", then at one point she was a similar time ahead, only to fade to being only 5 minutes ahead. I guess if you make up over 16 minutes on the first lap, you fade a little by the finish.

peanutgallery
05-01-2016, 08:38 PM
I had it on good authority from an age group triathlon person that I was able to find a way to communicate with that this number had something to do with the number of time that they had peed themselves on the bike on a particular day. Said triathlete was super preoccupied attempting to attach a powertap to their helmet during this conversation so you never know:)

On the other leg is a running total of how many times you have crashed your bike that day when L >~R you have to stop and go home.

benb
05-02-2016, 08:52 AM
wow, she started the marathon leg 8 minutes behind the woman she "beat", then at one point she was a similar time ahead, only to fade to being only 5 minutes ahead. I guess if you make up over 16 minutes on the first lap, you fade a little by the finish.

She probably planned it that way. It'd look more suspicious the further out in front she was. She seems too experienced at cheating and too smart to make it really obvious.