PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for messing myself up...

benb
04-29-2016, 09:25 AM
I normally do a "block" of training with the most intense day first and then each day tapers down.

This typically happens in a 2-day block like this:

Day 1 (Mon): Recovery
Day 2 (Tues): Hard Intervals
Day 3 (Wed): Most likely tempo
Day 4 (Thurs): Recovery:

Or the weekend one usually looks like this:
Day 5 (Fri): Sprints
Day 6 (Sat): Hard intervals in a longer ride than weekdays
Day 7 (Sun): Most likely a tempo interval in the longest ride of the week, otherwise easy pace

This week I got messed up in the middle of the week and I did the Tempo workout on Wednesday and then decided to do the Threshold intervals Thursday and take a rest day friday.

Holy cow.. the first day was easier than normal (tempo) but I didn't over do it. Second day was incredibly harder than normal, I couldn't maintain the power levels and I buried myself trying. When I do it in the correct order the tempo day will seem a little harder than when I'm fresh but it's not impossible and it doesn't cause any particular problems.

Then last night.. couldn't sleep at all, I fell asleep relatively easy but I woke up at like 4AM and never really got back to sleep. Unquestionably I have to do a recovery day today, I feel incredibly exhausted today.

I guess the training plan does successive days easier and easier on purpose! I think I may need to start paying attention to sleep and see if I can figure out a pattern, I am OK with a bad night's sleep after outlier/super hard workouts but it's become a pattern lately and I don't want it to happen on a regular basis.

shovelhd
04-29-2016, 10:47 AM
I also trained 3 on, one off, with the rest of the week dependent on race day. I always tried to use the middle day as the peak TSS day, no matter what it was. Sprinting is hard on the body but typically low in TSS. Recovery is recovery. I always did an openers day the day before race day.

bikerider888
04-29-2016, 04:50 PM
I also trained 3 on, one off, with the rest of the week dependent on race day. I always tried to use the middle day as the peak TSS day, no matter what it was. Sprinting is hard on the body but typically low in TSS. Recovery is recovery. I always did an openers day the day before race day.

Wisdom here