PDA

View Full Version : campagnolo brakes?

redearedslider5
04-28-2016, 01:00 PM
found these on ebay and also on the seller's site.

http://www.planetcyclery.com/campagnolo-2015-chorus-11-skeleton-brake-set?___SID=U

per the seller: The brake set that you are inquiring about is a non model branded
Campagnolo Dual Pivot Brake set. The only markings on these brake calipers
is Campagnolo (in white), the caliper itself is all black in color.

per the url, it's chorus 11 but that'd be awfully cheap. any thoughts on what these really are?

Mark McM
04-28-2016, 01:16 PM
I've seen these brakes. They use a slightly different design from Campy's previous skeleton brakes, and appear almost like they are a 3rd party rebranded component. They use a different centering adjustment, and most notably, they use Shimano style cartridge pads.

It used to be that Campagnolo had a different model brake caliper for each component group, but now appear to be moving toward using a single "generic" brake caliper for all groups. I wonder if this was done in an anticipation of a move away from rim brakes (and toward disc brakes).

FlashUNC
04-28-2016, 01:22 PM
Having seen these in person, some of the anecdotal evidence is that they do not stop so good.

I'd probably stick to Record or Super Record calipers from them for now. The Chorus ones definitely feel like there was some cost cutting involved.

thirdgenbird
04-28-2016, 01:30 PM
I believe these brakes were made for both veloce and Athena. The 2015+ chorus groups appear to use the same caliper with updated hardware and canpagnolo style pad holders. I suspect they are made by tektro like the previous tt and cantilever brakes.

danield
04-28-2016, 02:51 PM
I have a set and think they work very well; I don't think I could tell the difference between these and the chorus brakes I had previously.

oldpotatoe
04-28-2016, 03:04 PM
I believe these brakes were made for both veloce and Athena. The 2015+ chorus groups appear to use the same caliper with updated hardware and canpagnolo style pad holders. I suspect they are made by tektro like the previous tt and cantilever brakes.

This is correct. Not any sort of 'move away from caliper brakes toward disc brakes. Considering the recent hoopla concerning the UCI and disc brakes, Campag will make them but they are in no hurry.

eBAUMANN
04-28-2016, 03:22 PM
looks like chorus stuff to me, just with the "friction fit" pad holders instead of the current ones with clips. nice brakes for the $$ IMO.

dalava
04-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Having seen these in person, some of the anecdotal evidence is that they do not stop so good.

I'd probably stick to Record or Super Record calipers from them for now. The Chorus ones definitely feel like there was some cost cutting involved.

Me thinks none of the Campy brakes work so well, from SR to Athena. The skeleton ones are even worse. They couldn't hold a candle to the new Shimano brakes.

AJM100
04-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Recently picked up a set of black Veloce non-skeleton version of what seems to be these brakes - look identical - for $23.00 from Merlin's website . . . hope they stop the bike :crap:

danield
04-28-2016, 03:59 PM
Recently picked up a set of black Veloce non-skeleton version of what seems to be these brakes - look identical - for $23.00 from Merlin's website . . . hope they stop the bike :crap:

I have a set of these and they work fine, not as nice as the "Campagnolo Brakes." For $23 you can do much much worse.

I like Campy brakes overall for the much less grabby, modulating feel -- they seem to be consistent with that up and down the range.

Black Dog
04-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Me thinks none of the Campy brakes work so well, from SR to Athena. The skeleton ones are even worse. They couldn't hold a candle to the new Shimano brakes.

Hmm...great modulation and the ability to lock up the wheels with two fingers...yup my campy brakes suck...:rolleyes:

carpediemracing
04-28-2016, 08:59 PM
I looked on Campy's site. If you click on Athena and drill down to the brakes, you get to here:
http://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Components/campagnolo_brakes

If you click on Chorus you get a Chorus branded Skeleton brake:
http://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Components/chorus_brakes

Veloce doesn't have Skeleton brakes.

They all use the same kind of pad holders.

I'm guessing they're Athena brakes. I have no problems with my Athena skeleton brakes, nor my Record ones. I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two. Except for the fact that the Athena ones I have are silver I would have to look at the logos to tell them apart quickly.

oldpotatoe
04-29-2016, 05:39 AM

Look, a prune pit on a linoleum floor!!

Joxster
04-29-2016, 05:51 AM

Brakes on a bike for decoration, real men use their face to stop ;)

R3awak3n
04-29-2016, 07:01 AM
lol, you are crazy if you don't think campy brakes work well.

look, you might prefer shimano brakes, but the campy brakes work just fine. Nice modulation, nice power, relatively light. I really like mine and liked my skeleton too.

Now I have EE on my main bike and I don't think they brake better than the campy that once were there.

drewellison
04-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Did the price go up since yesterday? I though they were $5X.XX yesterday. Now they're $68.95.

Of course, I do suffer from frequent episodes of CRS Syndrome.
(Can't Remember S...)

coylifut
04-29-2016, 06:35 PM
it seems that i encounter the strangest discussions on braking here.

I have one bike with early 80s nouvo record brakes, a road bike with skeleton brakes on carbon rims, trp hy/rds on a disk cross bike and 3 mountain bikes with various hydro brakes.

after proper set up, i'm not dissatisfied with any of them.

some finicky folks around here.

R3awak3n
04-29-2016, 07:35 PM
/\ I like your style! Slows you down, I am good with it :)

beeatnik
04-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Chorus 2015 on the bike. Chorus 2009-2014 on the tire

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7445/16195861530_7e1bd7a79e_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8623/15760822364_03fc0f9a0d_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7309/15763259483_d40c719585_b.jpg

Both models brake the same (superbly) but 2015 allows for more clearance (up to 30mm) and cost less.