PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Kona CX frames

Onno
04-28-2016, 09:46 AM
I've been thinking of selling my old CX bike and older commuter, and getting one new and better bike for both. I've been eyeing the Kona Sutra LTD and Rove ST, which I like because they are steel, have eyelets, and have geometry that more or less works for me.

Does anybody know much about these bikes? The frames are relatively cheap, which makes me wonder about them a bit. Also not sure about the SRAM one-chainring set up. And not sure whether to get the complete bike, or build it up myself. I want a relatively light and responsive frame, one that's fun to ride, but I also want something durable and not so fine that I have to worry about it getting dirty, scratched, messed up, stolen, etc.

sandyrs
04-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Aren't those more touring / gravel bikes? The Jake(s) is/are their CX line.

Onno
04-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Yes, they are more of a gravel bike, but can do CX too. The Jake only comes i aluminum or carbon, and I don't think it comes with eyelets.

sandyrs
04-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Yes, they are more of a gravel bike, but can do CX too. The Jake only comes i aluminum or carbon, and I don't think it comes with eyelets.

Oh I see now, Kona says on their site that CX is an application of the Rove too.

In any case I'm the happy owner of a Kona MTB and a friend rode from Providence, RI to Washington, DC on a Sutra. :beer:

morrisericd
04-28-2016, 10:16 AM
I owned a steel Rove for a short time. Honestly, I didn't really like it. Stock build from my LBS which I eventually ended up adding a carbon fork to (original fork was steel). It was heavy and not very responsive. I've since moved on to a carbon Wilier and a Niner BSB. I know - both are carbon and very different from a steel touring bike so take this with a grain of salt. The Rove just wasn't my cup of tea. I did a bunch of gravel road riding with it and it just never really clicked with me. I love my BSB with all the doodads like electronic shifting and disc brakes but I also really love that Wilier cross bike that I built up with misc. parts (Campy, but still stuff I had).

bcroslin
04-28-2016, 03:00 PM
I owned a scandium Jake SS and loved it. I sold it to a buddy and he loves it. Kona makes fun, unpretentious bikes. What's there not too like?

danield
04-28-2016, 03:19 PM
I had a Kona Jake the Snake and regret selling it. Fun bike. Built it up from a frameset, great value, it was a nice little frameset.

mhespenheide
04-28-2016, 03:58 PM
Personally, I wouldn't call the Rove and Sutra CX bikes -- at least not in Kona's tradition. Kona's CX bikes traditionally have a high bottom bracket (drop of 60-65mm), while the Rove and Sutra are more gravel/touring (drop of 70-75mm or more).

I haven't ridden either/any of them, but that stands out on the spec sheet.

coylifut
04-29-2016, 07:03 PM
I have the newest iteration of the alu Kona Jake frame. the new geo is slightly slacker up front with a lower bottom bracket.

an amazing bike. not an amazing bike for the money, simply an amazing bike. i've had a few months and have done a couple 100+ mile rides and some long gravel events. I find it very comfortable. my other ride is a time vrx.

yes. fender eyelets front and back. excellent carbon fork with 1.5 lower, treaded bottom bracket and continuous derailleur housing. It fit 35 plus mm tires without fenders and 32 mms with. however, most of the time i ride it with 28s and fenders.