PDA

View Full Version : Fedex tracking question

Kingfisher
04-28-2016, 05:07 AM
So I've got a bike purchased from a fellow forumite en route via fedex bikeflights.

Tracking says it shipped out of CA last Thursday and tracking stops two days later saying it departed Sacramento, CA.....that's it, but it still says expected delivery today the 28th????

I'm starting to freak out that there is a problem with pkg or damage of some kind. Why hasn't their tracking updated? Anyone else go through this kind of scenario?

Geeheeb
04-28-2016, 05:17 AM
I see large gaps in tracking all the time. Sometimes its gets filled in retroactively, sometimes not. Unfortunately it might not come when specified. Do you have to sign for it, or make special arrangements to be where it is delivered? One thing you can do is call FedEx and have them hold it at the local hub for you.

Kingfisher
04-28-2016, 05:19 AM
yes, it is signature required (legend Ti w/campy super record)....just curious why their system doesn't update to real time/today's date??

SpeedyChix
04-28-2016, 06:15 AM
If it's a ground service, it won't update while in the semi moving across the country. Once it hits the next terminal and is scanned through it would update then. Typically it would be in the local terminal the night prior.

carpediemracing
04-28-2016, 07:05 AM
I've also seen gaps in the tracking. I'm guessing that it's while the package sits in one thing (a truck or van or whatever) because no one's going to go into a truck that's driving along just to scan everything inside.

echappist
04-28-2016, 09:06 AM
If it's a ground service, it won't update while in the semi moving across the country. Once it hits the next terminal and is scanned through it would update then. Typically it would be in the local terminal the night prior.

correct

I've also seen gaps in the tracking. I'm guessing that it's while the package sits in one thing (a truck or van or whatever) because no one's going to go into a truck that's driving along just to scan everything inside.

the term is intermodal freight transportation, which has containers loaded onto specially-designed freight trains. These trains then go across the continent, and no scan will be performed until the containers are loaded back onto a truck that goes into a depot.

Kingfisher
04-28-2016, 10:08 AM
Just like you guys said...fedex notification below...

Thank you for contacting FedEx. We regret any inconvenience.

FedEx Ground packages are scanned at pickup to delivery. At pickup, each package's shipping label bar code is immediately scanned to record the pickup time, destination and delivery commitment. The scanned information is uploaded to the FedEx mainframe. Bar codes are scanned again at every key step of the shipping process, (primarily at the point of trailer and van loading), allowing customers to follow the status of their shipments throughout the journey.

As update times vary depending on the destination and location of each package, it is possible for a shipment not to have scans for a couple of days if they are in a trailer and in transit, especially for long travel to reach the destination terminal.

Our records indicate that your package is in transit and is due to be delivered on April 29, 2016, by the end of day. You can receive up-to-date information from the Web site if you track your shipment periodically: http://www.fedex.com/Tracking