PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work for Zipp/SRAM? RE: Recall SCREW UP

bloody sunday
04-27-2016, 05:42 PM
Cliffs: Zipp sent me the wrong wheel back.

Dropped off my wheel (Zipp 303) at Nytro in Encinitas March 23rd for the hub recall.

Fast forward to dozens of calls and emails to zipp and Nytro - zipp customer service emails me saying my wheel is being sent back - gave me a UPS tracking number - AWESOME.

Show up to my shop to pick up my wheel and lo and behold, in the box is a 202 rim....

Called Zipp and they literally have no idea where my wheel is...

weisan
04-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Happened to me. They offered to take my 404 back and rebuild into brand new wheel. I told them: You better!

:o

They told my LBS that they are 99.8% sure that they had sent back my original wheel. I just laughed. The fact that I had sharpie-d my wheel before I sent to them and the one that came back has no sign of those markings tells me that's not my wheel.

It's back with them now and who knows how long that's gonna take. Fortunately, I am not in any real hurry and I totally refused to let this spoil my mood. It's just stuff. :D

Cicli
04-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Here is the head engineer.

bloody sunday
04-27-2016, 05:54 PM
Happened to me. They offered to take my 404 back and rebuild into brand new wheel. I told them: You better!

:o

They told my LBS that they are 99.8% sure that they had sent back my original wheel. I just laughed. The fact that I had sharpie-d my wheel before I sent to them and the one that came back has no sign of those markings tells me that's not my wheel.

they lost your wheel?

weisan
04-27-2016, 05:55 PM
they lost your wheel?

Yup, they couldn't find it...and I don't expect them to.

bloody sunday
04-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Yup, they couldn't find it...and I don't expect them to.

How long did it take to have them give you another wheel?

weisan
04-27-2016, 06:00 PM

It's back with them now and who knows how long that's gonna take. Fortunately, I am not in any real hurry and I totally refused to let this spoil my mood. It's just stuff. :D

bloody sunday
04-27-2016, 06:03 PM

you've got a better attitude than me about this. I'm heated.

AngryScientist
04-27-2016, 06:13 PM
the truth is that a recall like this really needs a well planned and executed strategy for chain of custody and repair. if they didnt have a very good system set-up prior to the first wheel coming back to them, they were doomed to have stuff like this happen. it's not hard to believe they would completely lose a wheel with a recall involving so many "balls in the air"; of course it's totally amateur hour wrong, but i can see how it would happen. suspect someone at zipp/sram will get fired over this mess, if this forum is any indicator of the overall program performance.

bloody sunday
04-27-2016, 06:18 PM
I don't want anyone to get fired - I just want my dang wheel back

oldpotatoe
04-27-2016, 07:00 PM
the truth is that a recall like this really needs a well planned and executed strategy for chain of custody and repair. if they didnt have a very good system set-up prior to the first wheel coming back to them, they were doomed to have stuff like this happen. it's not hard to believe they would completely lose a wheel with a recall involving so many "balls in the air"; of course it's totally amateur hour wrong, but i can see how it would happen. suspect someone at zipp/sram will get fired over this mess, if this forum is any indicator of the overall program performance.

Or promoted:eek:

weisan
04-27-2016, 07:04 PM
I don't want anyone to get fired - I just want my dang wheel back

Keep working with them to find a resolution.

Don't pile on here, folks. It doesn't help.

bloody sunday
04-27-2016, 07:05 PM
Keep working with them to find a resolution.

Don't pile on here, folks. It doesn't help.

well, that's what I want. I have a call in and an email to their customer service. Was wondering if there was truly anyone who works for them that might help. I have an RA # for reference too.

weisan
04-27-2016, 07:08 PM
well, that's what I want. I have a call in and an email to their customer service. Was wondering if there was truly anyone who works for them that might help. I have an RA # for reference too.

I never talked to anyone from their side directly. Everything went through my LBS, leveraging their pre-existing relationship with the company.

ldamelio
04-27-2016, 07:34 PM
Taking mine to LBS for rebuild with a King R45. The rear hub already imploded two months out of warranty and I Kinged it. Might as well have them match and be reliable. Worth a couple of hundred bucks to me. YMMV.

berserk87
04-27-2016, 08:09 PM
This article says that SRAM is laying off 40 folks:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/shimano-sram-feel-pinch-declining-sales-222761

Maybe they laid off the return shipping department.

bcroslin
04-27-2016, 09:53 PM
I played with a bike that had e-tap a few weeks ago and actually thought it was pretty cool. And then I read a post like this and remember the risk you take in owning anything produced by SRAM.

tmf
04-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Check in with our forum member Chousen One. He lives here in Indy I believe and also works for SRAM/ZIPP (at least he did several months ago when I bought a frame from him).

He might be able to help or get you an inside track

Cliffs: Zipp sent me the wrong wheel back.

Dropped off my wheel (Zipp 303) at Nytro in Encinitas March 23rd for the hub recall.

Fast forward to dozens of calls and emails to zipp and Nytro - zipp customer service emails me saying my wheel is being sent back - gave me a UPS tracking number - AWESOME.

Show up to my shop to pick up my wheel and lo and behold, in the box is a 202 rim....

Called Zipp and they literally have no idea where my wheel is...

bloody sunday
04-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Check in with our forum member Chousen One. He lives here in Indy I believe and also works for SRAM/ZIPP (at least he did several months ago when I bought a frame from him).

He might be able to help or get you an inside track

Thanks, I PM'd him.

FlashUNC
04-28-2016, 10:31 AM
This is pretty amazing.

El Chaba
04-28-2016, 11:15 AM
Really now...They didn't get it right the first time, so is it any surprise that they are screwing up getting it right the second?

bloody sunday
05-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Really now...They didn't get it right the first time, so is it any surprise that they are screwing up getting it right the second?

I got my wheel back after 40 days because of my shop - Zipp's turn around is about 5 days + shipping time. That shouldn't equal 40 days. My shop took its time shipping the wheel, and the shipping guy screwed up the labels and put the wheels in any old box with any old label. which resulted in me showing up to the shop (which is 40 miles round trip from home) to find a 202 wheel in a box with my name on it...

I turned in a 303... Yeah, Zipp is handling this very well, just make sure your shop cares about you. But really, there's not much in it for them to handle your warranty recall with expediency.

BSBD
05-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Support your LBS! *sarcasm*

CiclistiCliff
05-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Sounds like you need a new shop.

Only delay on the ones I took care of was a 24h silver hub due to lack of inventory.

oldpotatoe
05-02-2016, 06:42 AM
Support your LBS! *sarcasm*

Support the good ones. If you frequent one that is lazy, as a lot are, find another one. Many have good people who are eager to help.

BSBD
05-02-2016, 07:13 AM
Support the good ones. If you frequent one that is lazy, as a lot are, find another one. Many have good people who are eager to help.

True. Related to SRAM recalls... I went through the SRAM HydroR recall through a shop that did not sell me the bike (a Cannondale SuperX). They went above and beyond getting Cannondale to send the OEM green brifters where SRAM was going to replace with red ones. They still get my business.

jensenn
05-02-2016, 08:01 AM
going on 5 weeks not and still no word on my wheel. i can see how frustrating this might be to others. i can only imagine how much sram employees are working to fix all the recalls. thankfully i have spare wheels

bloody sunday
05-02-2016, 08:04 AM
going on 5 weeks not and still no word on my wheel. i can see how frustrating this might be to others. i can only imagine how much sram employees are working to fix all the recalls. thankfully i have spare wheels

I received nothing but top notch customer service from SRAM/Zipp. Always responded to emails within an hour - phone calls had short waiting times.

in regards to the shop - they sponsor my club so I figured I would just use them. they have a reputation for being snobby, but they're actually pretty cool. I think it's their shipping department that failed me the most. I simply have to take most of my business elsewhere as they are pretty far away from where I live/work.

oldpotatoe
05-02-2016, 08:07 AM
I received nothing but top notch customer service from SRAM/Zipp. Always responded to emails within an hour - phone calls had short waiting times.

in regards to the shop - they sponsor my club so I figured I would just use them. they have a reputation for being snobby, but they're actually pretty cool. I think it's their shipping department that failed me the most. I simply have to take most of my business elsewhere as they are pretty far away from where I live/work.

You found an email for sram?

bloody sunday
05-02-2016, 08:25 AM
You found an email for sram?

found a contact submission form on Zipp's website - and once you get a response you can respond directly in email to them. I also found someone that works in SRAM's Dealer service dept.

ripvanrando
05-03-2016, 05:29 AM
SRAM responded to my e-mail within 24 hours. I had asked if I could send the wheels back directly and that I wanted an RA number because the closest SRAM dealer is 40-45 minutes away. SRAM would not allow direct shipment from a customer and said any old bike shop would be fine as an intermediary. The agent was courteous and nice.

Having managed safety critical type recalls during my career and after reading of other's experiences with this SRAM recall, I decided to wait a couple months until the dust settles a bit. Plus, they will be out of parts, people, and patience by then. I would not be surprised to get new wheels nor would I be surprised if they lost mine during the "process" because few businesses are prepared to flawlessly execute this magnitude of recall but it sounds to me as if SRAM is trying to do the right thing.