PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo record 11 shifter paddle stuck behind rubber in brake lever

R3awak3n
04-27-2016, 05:16 PM
Everything still shifts fine and looks ok but I feel like the shift paddle on the right shifter does not have as much strong return (or even engagement) as the front shifter. What happens is that sometimes the paddle gets stuck behind the little rubber on the brake lever. Shifts fine still so I guess this is just a little annoyance for me but, anyway I can fix this? Any reason why this is happening?

oldpotatoe
04-27-2016, 05:20 PM
Everything still shifts fine and looks ok but I feel like the shift paddle on the right shifter does not have as much strong return (or even engagement) as the front shifter. What happens is that sometimes the paddle gets stuck behind the little rubber on the brake lever. Shifts fine still so I guess this is just a little annoyance for me but, anyway I can fix this? Any reason why this is happening?

I'm guessing the brake lever isn't all the way out. Brake housing seated in lever, NO ferrule on brake housing? Also make sure the hood isn't fouling the shift lever somehow.

geordanh
04-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Is each piece of rear brake housing long enough?

R3awak3n
04-27-2016, 06:09 PM
I'm guessing the brake lever isn't all the way out. Brake housing seated in lever, NO ferrule on brake housing? Also make sure the hood isn't fouling the shift lever somehow.

No ferrule on brake housing. Need to check to see if the brake hood is not in the way. I never noticed this happening the first few hundred miles, seems like a new thing.

@geordanh: brake cables seem perfectly fine.

edit: just checked all those things and everything seems to be just fine.

R3awak3n
04-28-2016, 10:05 AM
I rechecked everything and everything seems fine. Either its the paddle that does not have enough spring to get back (like the other one) or the brake lever cable is not pushing it enough but the brake is set up close to the pad as much as I can but the cable does feel looseish (always has on that bike but always has been fine braking)

compared to the front shifter i feel like there is not enough tension on the paddle, takes more throw for it to feel the cable being pulled and almost feels like a 2 step. Paddle gets pushed and only then the cable gets pulled if I make any sense.

soulspinner
04-28-2016, 10:07 AM

When I bought my newer chrous group one of the hoods was not exact and hung up the shift paddle. Careful trim and 5000 miles of bliss shifting.

R3awak3n
04-28-2016, 10:08 AM
When I bought my newer chrous group one of the hoods was not exact and hung up the shift paddle. Careful trim and 5000 miles of bliss shifting.

what you mean by careful trim?

of the little rubber?

oldpotatoe
04-28-2016, 10:16 AM
I rechecked everything and everything seems fine. Either its the paddle that does not have enough spring to get back (like the other one) or the brake lever cable is not pushing it enough but the brake is set up close to the pad as much as I can but the cable does feel looseish (always has on that bike but always has been fine braking)

compared to the front shifter i feel like there is not enough tension on the paddle, takes more throw for it to feel the cable being pulled and almost feels like a 2 step. Paddle gets pushed and only then the cable gets pulled if I make any sense.

I can try to get a pic later but there is a alignment screw on the right side of the body, right above shift lever blade, if you pull the hood back you will see a little hole, 1mm Allen. I'm thinking you need to turn that counterclockwise to move lever to the right.

soulspinner
04-28-2016, 10:28 AM
what you mean by careful trim?

of the little rubber?

yes, just enough for the paddle not to hang up on the rubber.

R3awak3n
04-28-2016, 10:52 AM
I can try to get a pic later but there is a alignment screw on the right side of the body, right above shift lever blade, if you pull the hood back you will see a little hole, 1mm Allen. I'm thinking you need to turn that counterclockwise to move lever to the right.

OP, I actually found an old post where you mention which is pretty . I got this shifter used and the screw is unfortunately stripped :(

@soulspinner: I thought about doing this, this would definitely work since the paddle gets hung just at the end but if the end was flat it would not. If I can't figure out any other way I will just sand it a bit. Thank you!

oldpotatoe
04-28-2016, 07:39 PM
OP, I actually found an old post where you mention which is pretty . I got this shifter used and the screw is unfortunately stripped :(

@soulspinner: I thought about doing this, this would definitely work since the paddle gets hung just at the end but if the end was flat it would not. If I can't figure out any other way I will just sand it a bit. Thank you!

Try a wee sized SAE size, tap in there. Lefty turn. Think that'll fix your travel/feel/2click feel. Too bad somebody gooned it up. It could just have some junk in it...sharpened spoke, clean it out.

R3awak3n
04-28-2016, 08:47 PM
Try a wee sized SAE size, tap in there. Lefty turn. Think that'll fix your travel/feel/2click feel. Too bad somebody gooned it up. It could just have some junk in it...sharpened spoke, clean it out.

Will try that tomorrow.

I did manage to get the brake cable to be a bit tighter and I think its better but need to ride it tomorrow to really test it.

Thanks OP