PDA

View Full Version : Props to DT Swiss

cmbicycles
04-27-2016, 01:50 PM
I picked up a DT Campy freehub here in the classifieds. It appeared unused and had apparently been through two forumites before me. When I installed it w/ torque wrench the back flange cracked in 3 places. I let the seller know what happened, and got "sorry for your luck." Since it appeared unused I chalked it up to, when buying used ya roll the dice and it sometimes comes up snake eyes.
I had reached out to DT as well and made clear that I purchased it second/third hand and wasn't asking for a warranty replacement, but had a couple questions about the torque spec and material thickness on their campy freehubs so I didn't run into an issue again. David @ DT emailed back within minutes & asked for a couple pictures, which I sent, and had a replacement in the mail the next day.

Standup service, and had no obligation to do anything. Thanks DT.

AngryScientist
04-27-2016, 01:53 PM
was this a star ratchet hub? what did you need a torque wrench for?

tuscanyswe
04-27-2016, 01:55 PM
My thoughts as well. You just press them on with your hand till they go "click"

cmbicycles
04-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Yes, DT 240 hub, torques wrench was for tightening the cassette lockring. Campy lockrings say 50Nm, Dt lockrings say 30Nm, I'm using less next time around. I had used the 30Nm#.

I had also replaced the hub bearings right before swapping cassette body, so was chasing my tail for a little bit when the hub started binding when freewheeling. Tore it back apart and put together again, then installed the old S10 cassette body and it didn't bind... then I caught on and noticed the tiny fractures on the campy body.

tuscanyswe
04-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Ah, well very nice of dt swiss! Gotta love companies who goes the extra length sometimes.

josephr
04-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Ah, well very nice of dt swiss! Gotta love companies who goes the extra length sometimes.

*sometimes* is the key word here....I like DT Swiss, but when I proved that the R23Spline wheelset didn't meet expectations for a 200lb rider (they said it was rated for 230+lbs), they offered a set of white 585 rims and I'd have to pay for the rebuild...I had to do some arm-twisting to get one black rim, still the rebuild came out of my pocket....looking back, probably should've just warrantied the wheelset. Anyway, glad you were treated well!