PDA

View Full Version : as we age, how slow will we get... ?

thwart
04-27-2016, 07:41 AM
Apparently runners now have a formula:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/sports/aging-runners-find-help-for-a-question-how-slow-will-i-get.html

Suspect the same could be done for cyclists.

I like this:
But she also has a strategy that has changed her life. She leaves her watch behind. Before she sets out on a run, Coleman looks at the clock. When she gets back, she glances at it again.

Then she tells herself, “Ballpark.”

josephr
04-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Even though I'm not a tri-athlete (can barely swim) I watched coverage of the Ironman once and found myself more impressed by 70+ old guy that'd just finished his umpteenth Ironman, that woman in her late 60s, etc. At our local charity century events, there's quite a few that still pedaling the 40 milers and the metrics. I'm 46 now, but I hope I'm still turning the cranks when I get there! :beer:

guido
04-27-2016, 09:06 AM
Friel's book "Fast After 50" references a lot of research and anecdote to suggest most folks slow down a whole lot less than they need to and that it is mostly a matter of use it (intensely but then get enough recovery) or loose it. He suggests that changes in how we work out and respecting the slowing down of our abilities to recover have the biggest effect on performance.

Tickdoc
04-27-2016, 09:12 AM
some old F*&cker shows me up every week on our group ride, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Mark McM
04-27-2016, 09:44 AM
The chart on the linked web site seems about in the right ballpark for me. The relationship between running times and aerobic power output is roughly proportional, just like it is for (steep) uphill cycling. The coefficient from the table for my age is pretty close to the ratio of my best Mt. Washington hillclimb time and my most recent times, just as one might expect.

Since the largest portion of power output when riding on flat ground goes to fight air resistance, and since air resistance is proportional to the square of speed, speed on flat ground is close to proportional to the square root of power output. And not unexpectedly the square root of the coefficient from the table for my age is pretty close to the ratio of my best TT times and my current TT times. So, for flat land cycling, perhaps the square root of the coefficients might be close.

So if the rest of the table is just as accurate, I guess I know how much slower I'm going to get.

Mzilliox
04-27-2016, 09:53 AM
some old F*&cker shows me up every week on our group ride, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

haha so classic, and so true!:beer:

saab2000
04-27-2016, 09:55 AM
If you're Chris Horner you'll get faster and eventually win a Grand Tour.

makoti
04-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Man, that drop between 94 & 100 looks brutal.

druptight
04-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Wait, I can get slower?

dgauthier
04-27-2016, 10:09 AM
I remember reading an interview with 40 year old olympic swimmer Dana Torres. She remarked that keeping her performance up with age wasn't a problem, but recovery took a *lot* longer. Her training routine was augmented to focus on speeding and enhancing recovery to keep her total training volume up.

Ryun
04-27-2016, 10:20 AM
I remember reading an interview with 40 year old olympic swimmer Dana Torres. She remarked that keeping her performance up with age wasn't a problem, but recovery took a *lot* longer. Her training routine was augmented to focus on speeding and enhancing recovery to keep her total training volume up.
This has been my experience. On any given day, I can get as fast as I was at 20 but multiple days just aren't what they used to be.
When I was younger I felt stronger as a 7 day stage race would go on. Now I can challenge the young guys on Saturday but I really really feel it on Sunday

rccardr
04-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Same here, and in my case that table is pretty close.

Best century time over the past 8 years (I'm almost 65, didn't keep records before that) has gone up by about 18 minutes- that's almost the same as the table. Except these days I take at least four days off before a 100 mile (or longer) event, and don't do a warmup ride the day before, either.

With a four day window, my average speed consistently goes up almost one MPH, and I feel less fatigued at the finish line. Have to pay more attention to nutrition and hydration, too, but that's all part of getting older.

Black Dog
04-27-2016, 01:05 PM
I can't wait until I am so old that my speed is zero then start going backwards after that; if I live long enough I will be faster backwards than I am right no moving forwards. :eek: That should be around my 170th birthday.

berserk87
04-27-2016, 01:13 PM
Apparently not too slow. Gary Painter, Masters 55+ national TT champion, does our local time trial on a regular basis. I heard him say on Sunday that he just turned 60.

He had the best overall time at the time trial Sunday - for all categories:

http://monroviatt.jsbikesracing.com/Results/Results2016/Apr24.htm

Last year he was busting times into the 52 minute range during the heart of the season.

Speaking of slower recovery, I am 47 and did the TT on Sunday as well. I also went out later and rode with 3 dudes from my team (none of whom rode earlier in the day, much less a TT) for 2 hours. My legs are still sore from this. I am dying to get back and start training but all I have been able to do since are short and easy rides. May end up taking today off completely

woodworker
04-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Friel's book "Fast After 50" references a lot of research and anecdote to suggest most folks slow down a whole lot less than they need to and that it is mostly a matter of use it (intensely but then get enough recovery) or loose it. He suggests that changes in how we work out and respecting the slowing down of our abilities to recover have the biggest effect on performance.

Second the recommendation for Friel's book. He goes through a lot of the research and concludes that your VO2 max naturally declines over time but that keeping to a steady diet of intense workouts (with appropriate and increasing recovery times as you get older) will slow down the rate of that decline. (He also recommends some strength workouts as well.) Good read.

Anecdotally, there are still riders in their 60's and 70's, including one with a hip replacement who kill it on the local rides.

cinco
04-27-2016, 01:48 PM
47 here, too. Where I am losing performance is in the high-end sprint speed. I'm still relatively fast, but my sprint is slipping. Seems no matter how much I try to prevent it, the younger guys got an edge over me there. Thank goodness for age-based racing. Though there are plenty of 40+ers whom I can't hold a candle to either...

mktng
04-27-2016, 02:24 PM
old man strength.
you dont really get slower. you just get smarter !

Mark McM
04-27-2016, 02:28 PM
As I've gotten older, I've been finishing further back, closer to the rear of the pack. I thought I was getting slower, but then I realized what was really going on: As we all know, nice guys finish last - I'm not getting slower, I'm getting nicer!

Ronsonic
04-27-2016, 08:53 PM
This has been my experience. On any given day, I can get as fast as I was at 20 but multiple days just aren't what they used to be.
When I was younger I felt stronger as a 7 day stage race would go on. Now I can challenge the young guys on Saturday but I really really feel it on Sunday

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

So my wife tells me. :banana:

I'm 60 now, and, yeah, the recovery thing.

regularguy412
04-27-2016, 09:08 PM
If you're Chris Horner you'll get faster and eventually win a Grand Tour.

And occasionally ask, "Did I finish?".

:)
Mike in AR:beer:

weisan
04-27-2016, 10:06 PM
I ride regularly with a group that comprises of riders well in their 60s and some early 70s.

I know how much effort I am putting in just to stay in contact...let me tell you, these are freaks of nature. :eek: :D

marciero
04-28-2016, 06:01 AM
Yes-Friel's book. He makes the point that it is only recently that research has emerged on elite older athletes; particularly longitudinal studies. I note that Ned Overend's routine (someone posted a link here recently to nice interview with him) is pretty much spot-on with the short, high-intensity workouts with long recovery. As I recall, he's done that naturally without regard or reference to any conscious "training program"
This all does not square so well with the long distance riding that I really enjoy.