PDA

View Full Version : Stack height/steerer tube/head tube question

TronnyJenkins
04-26-2016, 09:56 PM
I'm vaguely familiar with all of these but want to check myself. A used Merckx frame showed up and I suspect the fork doesn't match. Catalog shows a different one (though there are variations), but also the general condition is different.

Complete head tube length is 150mm
Complete steerer tube length from bottom of crown race to top is 200mm

Seems like that would the stack height a very high 50mm?

bicycletricycle
04-26-2016, 10:56 PM
Not really, plenty of headsets are in the 40mm stack range, could have been run with an extra bit of spacer since new for comfort.

geordanh
04-26-2016, 11:31 PM
Sounds about right to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
04-27-2016, 06:49 AM
I'm vaguely familiar with all of these but want to check myself. A used Merckx frame showed up and I suspect the fork doesn't match. Catalog shows a different one (though there are variations), but also the general condition is different.

Complete head tube length is 150mm
Complete steerer tube length from bottom of crown race to top is 200mm

Seems like that would the stack height a very high 50mm?

Late 80s, early 90s Campag HS stack were about 42mm, so an extra 8mm isn't that much..lots put a 1cm spacer under the top nut.

TronnyJenkins
04-27-2016, 12:06 PM
I emailed the eBay seller and it turns out the fork was switched. However, it's good to know I can make this one work if he can't find the right one. Might look a tad goofy with a DA 7400 hs's 37mm stack and needed spacers... But whatever. I'll still ride the crap out of it.