PDA

View Full Version : Seatpost too long?

cinema
04-26-2016, 07:10 PM
I *think* my seatpost is the source of a knocking noise inside the seat tube. seat tube is double butted. i'm guessing it's perhaps a slightly larger diameter further down the tube than it is at the seat collar (but not noticeable visually), and going over bumps the seatpost makes a clanking noise against the tube wall. it's a relatively small seat tube, i think 50cm c-c.

i'm guessing there is around 205mm of seatpost hidden inside. anyone ever experience this? i want to swap wheelsets to get to the bottom of the noise, could be the hub but it's relatively young. i thought it might be the hollow shimano crankset but nothing is really hitting it.

beeatnik
04-26-2016, 07:13 PM
Thomson post in a Ti frame?

David Kirk
04-26-2016, 07:14 PM
While anything is possible it seems unlikely.

When does it make the noise?

How well does the post fit into the frame - snug (need to apply pressure to get it in) or loose (slips in easily)?

What material is the post?

What material is the frame?

dave

cinema
04-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Frame is steel. post is AL. would like to refrain from mentioning manufacturers for now but they are widely used. the post goes in not easily nor too snugly.

i feel if i really twisted and put upward force on it while removing, it could scratch. it doesn't come out or go in with a consistant amount of force, i kind of have to taper it when i feel like i'll scratch it. other points along the travel it slips in easily. it does not just slide in the whole way, i do have to apply pressure.

it makes the noise over street bumps which are bountiful in los angeles. it doesn't take a huge bump to make the noise but the bigger the bump the louder the noise.

happycampyer
04-26-2016, 07:24 PM
Unless something is seriously wrong, a seatpost shouldn't move around enough (if at all) to allow it to come in contact with a tube wall that is farther away from it due to butting. Could it be contacting a water bottle bolt? Even that shouldn't happen if the seat tube has the proper diameter at the seat tube cluster.

cinema
04-26-2016, 07:34 PM
not hitting a water bottle bolt, no. I'll keep rotating things out of the build to narrow it down but it sure sounds like it's coming from there.

AllanVarcoe
04-26-2016, 07:55 PM
Cables slapping the frame maybe?

If you think it's seatpost try a cheapo post from any LBS.

GregL
04-26-2016, 08:21 PM
Have you taken apart the actual seat clamp mechanism and lubricated all the parts? I chased a clicking noise on our tandem for months before isolating it to the seat clamp on the stoker's seatpost. Once it was cleaned and all mating surfaces coated with a thin film of grease, the noise disappeared.

- Greg

cinema
04-26-2016, 08:35 PM
Cables slapping the frame maybe?

If you think it's seatpost try a cheapo post from any LBS.

perhaps the internal top tube one. the seatpost was the last thing i updated and it's longer, and i'm just hearing it now, so it was my initial thought.

bikinchris
04-26-2016, 08:53 PM
I have had long posts squeak in frames, so why not knock?

Put a shorter post and check the hypothesis.

unterhausen
04-26-2016, 09:27 PM
if you have a really long seatpost in a steel frame, you probably should cut it off. Far more messy should it become stuck. The double butting makes it a real mess

oldpotatoe
04-27-2016, 07:01 AM
I *think* my seatpost is the source of a knocking noise inside the seat tube. seat tube is double butted. i'm guessing it's perhaps a slightly larger diameter further down the tube than it is at the seat collar (but not noticeable visually), and going over bumps the seatpost makes a clanking noise against the tube wall. it's a relatively small seat tube, i think 50cm c-c.

i'm guessing there is around 205mm of seatpost hidden inside. anyone ever experience this? i want to swap wheelsets to get to the bottom of the noise, could be the hub but it's relatively young. i thought it might be the hollow shimano crankset but nothing is really hitting it.

Noises can be vexing. Noise-all the time? Seated/standing? any gear, any cog? frequency?

In the shop-ride w/o cycling shoes-still there? Swap pedals-still there? swap rear wheel-still there? swap front wheel-still there? swap seatpost/saddle-still there? then look at BB/crank.

mavic rear wheel? By chance?

David Kirk
04-27-2016, 08:18 AM
I'd ask the same follow up questions at the old spud above......when exactly does it happen?

dave

chiasticon
04-27-2016, 08:33 AM
the seatpost was the last thing i updatedtherein lies the answer: swap back to the old one and see if the noise goes away. swap back to new and see if it returns, etc.

nooneline
04-27-2016, 09:05 AM
I've definitely seen noise coming from seatposts touching the inside of seattubes - you can usually tell from wear on the seatpost if that's happening. But it almost certainly wouldn't be a knocking sound - it would be a creak.

AllanVarcoe
04-27-2016, 11:38 AM
therein lies the answer: swap back to the old one and see if the noise goes away. swap back to new and see if it returns, etc.

There it is! :)

cinema
04-27-2016, 12:10 PM
i had switched back to the old post and thought I continued to hear it; could still be the seat tube but i have to eliminate more factors. will replace the rear wheel this evening and find out more. the sound is definitely metal and happens while seated but i can't reproduce it consistently. it sounds almost like the chain dropping down one gear or that hollow metal ping sound that happens when going from coasting to engaging the rear hub quick and hard (in this case it's a 240s hub). almost makes me wonder if the sound is a symphony of my legs bouncing around during that moment of off camber rebound, disengaging and engaging the hub, and vibrating throughout the frame. but the hub must have an issue for it to be so loud.

happens on cracks/bumps in the road. zip tied the internal brake cable routing this morning at both frame entrances so it can't be that, i still heard it on the way into work.

drewellison
04-27-2016, 02:51 PM
This works EVERY TIME I've tried it when I'm dealing with a creak or click.

1. Remove all parts from your frame.
2. Carefully clean all parts.
3. Remove fork from frame, and remove headset.
4. Clean headset.
5. List all parts, frame, fork, hs, for sale in the classifieds in this forum.
6. Purchase new frame and fork of your choice.
7. Purchase new gruppo and cockpit parts of your choice.
8. Purchase new wheels of your choice.
9. Lube the hell out of everything and assemble.
10. Ride. Ahhh, quiet once again.

bikerboy337
04-27-2016, 03:53 PM
Love it

POTD

4. Clean headset.

weaponsgrade
04-27-2016, 04:03 PM
I had a water bottle rivet work loose once. It made a bunch of noise when I rolled over bumps.

cadence90
04-27-2016, 04:04 PM

4. Clean headset.

:)

If that seatpost you just sold me so much as even thinks of uttering the first syllable of the most minute squeal...my lawyers will be in constant contact with yours.

drewellison
04-27-2016, 06:25 PM

If that seatpost you just sold me so much as even thinks of uttering the first syllable of the most minute squeal...my lawyers will be in constant contact with yours.

You're in luck. The only creaks that seatpost made was from rattling around in the parts box. :beer:

bikingshearer
04-29-2016, 01:42 PM

Oh come on. :butt: Man up! Just have your lawyers file the multi-billion dollar lawsuit. Then send goons over to beat him up.:fight:

Being reasonable and trying to work things out calmly is for girly-man wussies. :no: Real men go thermonuclear at the slightest provocation. Have you learned nothing from this year's election cycle?

[/sarcasm]

carpediemracing
04-29-2016, 01:51 PM
happens on cracks/bumps in the road. zip tied the internal brake cable routing this morning at both frame entrances so it can't be that, i still heard it on the way into work.

Is it possible that some extra housing slipped into the frame? Meaning the internal cable housing has enough slack to hit the frame on the inside?

This is if it is that kind of a frame. If you have internal "noodle guides" maybe one is loose?

soulspinner
04-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Is it possible that some extra housing slipped into the frame? Meaning the internal cable housing has enough slack to hit the frame on the inside?

This is if it is that kind of a frame. If you have internal "noodle guides" maybe one is loose?

good thought...

cadence90
04-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Oh come on. :butt: Man up! Just have your lawyers file the multi-billion dollar lawsuit. Then send goons over to beat him up.:fight:

Being reasonable and trying to work things out calmly is for girly-man wussies. :no: Real men go thermonuclear at the slightest provocation. Have you learned nothing from this year's election cycle?

[/sarcasm]

:D

Well, I did have the G5 all gassed up, with a team of lawyers, 44 blood-hounds, and Ndamukong Suh + his crew, just waiting for the word.

But then drewellison turned out to be such a great seller that I simply had to call the whole op off.

Even Ndamukong's auntie was all, "But, why? That Drew just seems like such a nice fellow!"

:beer:

drewellison
04-29-2016, 03:35 PM
:D

Well, I did have the G5 all gassed up, with a team of lawyers, 44 blood-hounds, and Ndamukong Suh + his crew, just waiting for the word.

But then drewellison turned out to be such a great seller that I simply had to call the whole op off.

Even Ndamukong's auntie was all, "But, why? That Drew just seems like such a nice fellow!"

:beer:

I just threatened to send my "friends" from the local Trump rally over to take care of business and that was the end of that!

cinema
05-10-2016, 11:30 AM
update I tightened the lock ring and the sound is gone. it was loose enough that i could unscrew it with my fingers. must not have torqued it hard enough and time+curb hops worked it loose. i also secured the inner cable housing so could have been either but pretty sure it was the former

soulspinner
05-10-2016, 12:55 PM
:hello::hello: