PDA

View Full Version : World Cup - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Roy E. Munson
06-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Am I the only person here who finds the football (soccer) ridiculously boring?

BumbleBeeDave
06-21-2006, 01:54 PM
. . . if you are a fan and go to the game with a group of friends it could be great fun. But speakingf as a news photographer, we had pro soccer in Tulsa for a few years when I worked there back in the 80's. It was always pretty boring to me because you spent at least half the game waiting for these guys to get close enough for you to get a shot. Even then, the games were always low scoring. Not the most exciting thing to watch from down on the field.

But then, I guess you have to keep it in context. Cycling fans think the TdF is so exciting--after they fly, drive, walk, climb, and hike into their spot to watch the race come by for what, 30-40 seconds? ;)

BBD

JohnS
06-21-2006, 02:05 PM
No.

Climb01742
06-21-2006, 02:06 PM
somewhere there's a NASCAR forum where, come july, there will be a thread asking, "what's up with them skinny guys in their underwear riding around france. well, it figures it'd be in france."

JohnS
06-21-2006, 02:08 PM
somewhere there's a NASCAR forum where, come july, there will be a thread asking, "what's up with them skinny guys in their underwear riding around france. well, it figures it'd be in france."
Hey, NASCAR fans LOVE France. Bill France, that is! :)

Bill Bove
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Funny thing here, last week I sat down in front of my TV and watched the entire Mexico v. Iran game on the Spanish channel. Start to finish. A game I do not follow in a language I do not understand. Later that day I tried to watch the end of the Dauphine Libre bike race, a sport that I am an avid follower of and particapant in. Fell asleep in a minute :confused:

Soccer is charlie's game, to beat charlie we must play soccer.

If you like soccer does that mean you hate America :confused:

Tom
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
It's like a lot of things. Far more fun to do than to watch. However, watch closely. There's a lot of subtlety to a well played game, and every once in a while somebody does something cool like flip over backwards and accurately kick the ball the other way while upside down. Which, now that I think about it, is still an awful lot like another thing that's a lot more fun to do than to watch.

davids
06-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Am I the only person here who finds others' opinions about what they find boring, ridiculously boring?

Roy E. Munson
06-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Am I the only person here who finds others' opinions about what they find boring, ridiculously boring?

Don't read it then.

stevep
06-21-2006, 02:54 PM
c'mon roy. i fell asleep twice listening to atmo talk about tubing selection...
its the world politics that drive the futball... not the kicking of the ball...anyone could kick a ball.
its the passion and the rage in the stands and across the entire country when their country is on the field. the civil war stops when the team plays.
profound.
it makes the super bowl look like a cricket match..
" good hit dewie, well pitched sidney..."

fiamme red
06-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Am I the only person here who finds the football (soccer) ridiculously boring?You would find it more exciting if
a) you had a patriotic rooting interest, or
b) you drank lots of beer with friends while watching.

So I suggest you combine the two. Buy a case of Bass Ale, and pretend you are passionate about the British team. Or Heineken/Dutch. Or Jupiler/Belgium. (Wait, is Belgium in the World Cup? I have to check that.)

obtuse
06-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Hey, NASCAR fans LOVE France. Bill France, that is! :)

potm.

obtuse

dbrk
06-21-2006, 04:38 PM
That Americans find soccer/futbol/football boring tells us far more about Americans than it does about this beautiful game.

dbrk

fiamme red
06-21-2006, 04:40 PM
That Americans find soccer/futbol/football boring tells us far more about Americans than it does about this beautiful game.

dbrkThat they have other sports which interest them more?

gdw
06-21-2006, 04:50 PM
It's boring. I miss hockey already.

dbrk
06-21-2006, 04:53 PM
That they have other sports which interest them more?

I prefer French women riding real bicycles.

dbrk

Roy E. Munson
06-21-2006, 05:09 PM

And what would that be?

I'm sorry, I guess I got run over by the soccer/futbol/football wagon when everyone else was jumping on.

you drank lots of beer with friends while watching

I think you're preaching to the wrong person if you're telling me I need to drink more beer. I think obtuse can back that one up.

67-59
06-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Buy a case of Bass Ale, and pretend you are passionate about the British team. Or Heineken/Dutch. Or Jupiler/Belgium. (Wait, is Belgium in the World Cup? I have to check that.)

Probably a better plan than actually going to see a game in person. Anheiuser-Busch is the official beer of the world cup this year, as well as 2010 and 2014. How'd you like to go all the way to Germany to see a game, get inside the stadium and stop to get a beer thinking you could order some real German beer, and be told at the concession stand that your choices are Bud or Bud Light?

Fat Robert
06-21-2006, 05:52 PM
and somebody from belgium might find baseball incrediby boring

for americans, you either need to have played it (HS or college) or have read up on it to understand what is going on, especially with the whole midfield game...

if you don't grow up with it, you don't get it...same with a lot of things...my wife doesn't "get" sushi because she hates nori...I don't "get" curling....

catulle
06-21-2006, 06:05 PM
and somebody from belgium might find baseball incrediby boring

for americans, you either need to have played it (HS or college) or have read up on it to understand what is going on, especially with the whole midfield game...

if you don't grow up with it, you don't get it...same with a lot of things...my wife doesn't "get" sushi because she hates nori...I don't "get" curling....

I have a very dear friend whom we (a few friends) invited for sushi. We called his cell phone and he said he had never tried Japanese food but he'd love to join us.

When he arrived to the restaurant, we had a huge board of different types of sushi, and we served him a plate. When he saw it he kind'a stared at the raw fish, and after some hesitation asked: Are they gonna cook this stuff now? Great guy. We still laugh about it. He ended up asking for some "regular" food.

bcm119
06-21-2006, 06:08 PM
I find any sport involving a ball incredibly boring, except tennis, which is okay. I'm probably in the bottom 99th percentile of general sports knowledge, at least of those involving a ball.

72gmc
06-21-2006, 06:59 PM
...anyone could kick a ball.

Whoa there. Dangerously close to the old "anyone can ride a bike" intelligence we used to hear back when LeMond was racing. :rolleyes:

I'm biased because I grew up playing soccer and, if my knees weren't already destroyed by it, would still be playing with a bunch of wheezing 35+ dreamers. I tell my unappreciative friends to really watch what these people can do with a round object and their feet, legs, and heads. Study it like people study a pitcher's fingers and arm motion.

It only looks easy and dumb if you don't understand what you're looking at.

Roy E. Munson
06-21-2006, 07:10 PM
for americans, you either need to have played it (HS or college) or have read up on it to understand what is going on, especially with the whole midfield game

played it though HS and into college, still the WC is boring.

William
06-21-2006, 07:22 PM

Roy,

Muay Thai is more your speed. Thailand's national sport. Just as revered to Thais as football, basketball, or Baseball is to Americans.

Just saying. :cool:

William

stevep
06-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Whoa there. Dangerously close to the old "anyone can ride a bike" intelligence we used to hear back when LeMond was racing. :rolleyes:

I'm biased because I grew up playing soccer and, if my knees weren't already destroyed by it, would still be playing with a bunch of wheezing 35+ dreamers. I tell my unappreciative friends to really watch what these people can do with a round object and their feet, legs, and heads. Study it like people study a pitcher's fingers and arm motion.

It only looks easy and dumb if you don't understand what you're looking at.

only a joke. love the world cup...only a joke.

Fat Robert
06-21-2006, 09:19 PM

You're just a hata then

(second person plural)

seriously, the national team thing doesn't do it for me...I'd rather see a Premier league game than Ghana-Poland anyday

Sandy
06-21-2006, 09:47 PM
I find it boring. The players are exceptional, but I still find it boring.

Soccer Sandy

Louis
06-21-2006, 10:25 PM
I find it ironic that loads of folks in the US will complain about the "lack of scoring" in soccer, yet have no problem with a 2-1 "pitcher's duel."

Tom Byrnes
06-21-2006, 11:13 PM

To paraphrase your response:
Don't [watch] it then.

stevep
06-22-2006, 06:27 AM
obtuces solution to the boring world cup:
1. increase the size of the goal to allow for more scoring
2. increase the number of members on a team by 2 each side
3. make the field smaller to reduce the necessity of running
4. use 2 balls instead of merely one at the same time... make one red/ white and blue and if that one goes in the goal it counts for 1 1/2 goal.
5. allow for an enforcer on each team and allow limited fighting like hockey...he gets to use a hockey stick to trip opponents
6. make the fans be quiet when play is on..like tennis...gotta take the crowd out of this game...gets too noisy
7. start each game by picking sides... so that the countries are mixed up... not country vs country

my solution
obtuce

Redturbo
06-22-2006, 07:56 AM
#8. Put my six year old daughter on one of the teams, then I'll watch it.

MallyG
06-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Soccer is Art.

catulle
06-22-2006, 08:39 AM
4. use 2 balls instead of merely one at the same time... make one red/ white and blue and if that one goes in the goal it counts for 1 1/2 goal.
5. allow for an enforcer on each team and allow limited fighting like hockey...he gets to use a hockey stick to trip opponents
6. make the fans be quiet when play is on..like tennis...gotta take the crowd out of this game...gets too noisy
7. start each game by picking sides... so that the countries are mixed up... not country vs country

my solution
obtuce

Obtuce is beyond Plato, atmo.

catulle
06-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Soccer is Art.

Soccer is SALSA, atmo...!!

TimB
06-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Personally, I find most if not all 'spectator' sports boring, and have since I was a kid. I'd much rather be doing something than watching someone else doing something.

67-59
06-22-2006, 09:45 AM

my solution
obtuce

Quiddich?

zeroking17
06-22-2006, 09:46 AM

troll

JohnS
06-22-2006, 10:32 AM
troll

Roy a troll, not hardly. He's just not a sycophant like a lot of people on this forum.
Personally, the only soccer game I ever enjoyed was Germany vs US and that was just because of the location. I was watching it from a pub in Maillaig, a small fishing village on the west coast of Scotland.

zeroking17
06-22-2006, 10:37 AM
<snip>
Personally, the only soccer game I ever enjoyed was Germany vs US and that was just because of the location. I was watching it from a pub in Maillaig, a small fishing village on the west coast of Scotland.

Fair enough. But it's not clear whether you're bragging or complaining?

JohnS
06-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Fair enough. But it's not clear whether you're bragging or complaining?

...Neither. It's just the atmosphere was great with all the local fans. Of course, the McEwen on tap didn't hurt. :beer:

Ozz
06-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Obviously not....why did you feel the need to put your feelings in writing? Lots of things are boring...making an effort to knock down what others enjoy is just impolite.

I'm sure there are plenty of bike threads going on where you can dismiss and belittle the posts of those who don't "race".

Cheers.

Roy E. Munson
06-22-2006, 11:25 AM
making an effort to knock down what others enjoy is just impolite.

I didn't knock it down, I said I found it boring and wondered if anyone else did. Holy schit, talk about being thin skinned.

Ozz
06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
I didn't knock it down, I said I found it boring and wondered if anyone else did. Holy schit, talk about being thin skinned.
Sure did....you picked a topic that quite a few folks here are enjoying and called it "boring". Did you really think you were the only one here who thought that? You saw an opportunity to "troll" and you took it.

I don't care one way or another what you think about the game...just calling you out to be honest with the reasons behind your post.

It would be nice if the whole planet could agree on everything, hold hands, and sing "kum-by-ya"....but that would really be boring.

Roy E. Munson
06-22-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't care one way or another what you think about the game...just calling you out to be honest with the reasons behind your post.

Don't try to think you now my reasons for anything. You calling me out like this proves you to be the ar$ehole here, in fact. Yes, an ar$ehole, you're an ar$ehole. I don't try to pretend I know what you're thinking, so don't do it with me.

Fat Robert
06-22-2006, 11:51 AM
He's just not a sycophant like a lot of people on this forum.

or a moron like others

Ozz
06-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Don't try to think you now my reasons for anything. You calling me out like this proves you to be the ar$ehole here, in fact. Yes, an ar$ehole, you're an ar$ehole. I don't try to pretend I know what you're thinking, so don't do it with me.
O.K. my mistake....maybe you you really were just looking for someone to commiserate with in the depths of your boredeom.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

BTW - you kinda let me have it with both barrels there bro....you wanna talk about "thin skinned" now?

Roy E. Munson
06-22-2006, 11:58 AM
That post was a bit reactionary, you're right. I should have PM'ed you to tell you my opinions and "discuss".

Ozz
06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
That post was a bit reactionary, you're right. I should have PM'ed you to tell you my opinions and "discuss".
No problem....if you feel the need, I'll be happy to read to your opinions.

:beer:

JohnS
06-22-2006, 12:19 PM
or a moron like othersIf you read the book by Michael D'Antonio, "The State Boys Rebellion" you would know that "moron" was an official ranking term used by the "enlightened" State of Massachsetts to describe people of below average intelligence up through the 1950's. I wouldn't be calling anyone here a moron. You can also refer to several posts in the "Profession" thread describing how people educated in one discipline feel that they are knowledgable about all others. That seems to fit you to a T. By the way, how long did it take you to look up the word "sycophant"? :p

manet
06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=sycophant&word2=moron

manet
06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=lunch+money&word2=wedgie

goonster
06-22-2006, 01:32 PM
"If you were soccer, the sport of kings, would you want the adulation of a people who elected Bush and Cheney, not once but twice? You would not. You would rather return to your roots, Communist or otherwise, and fight fascism with your feet." -Dave Eggers-

That is the conclusion of an excellent, and otherwise entirely non-political, article, which I urge you to read here (http://www.slate.com/id/2142554/).

As a lover of the game, I have mixed feelings about the World Cup. I don't think it represents the soul and the roots of the game, and I have a certain disdain for this overcommercialized, glorified All-Star exhibition. Its appeal, for me, lies in the almost unexpectedly high quality of many of the games, and the many story lines that are played out in this spectacle. Which teenaged starlet will sparkle on the big stage? Which grizzled veteran will end years of underachievement with a heroic performance? Which nation will shatter its people's hopes most cruelly? It's kind of fun in spite of being a horrendously overproduced spectacle run by The Suits.

I know lots of Americans who have played soccer most of their lives, and are excellent players, yet have almost no interest in watching the sport. OK with me.

Aside from what actually happens on the field, one of things that is special about soccer, throughout the world, is the way the community identifies with the club. Teams are promoted and relegated, and the hopes of the community rise and fall with them. American fans (for many different reasons) don't have that kind of relationship with their teams, although Red Sox and Cubs fans might come close. Some of this transfers to the national teams, although not always in an obvious or predictable way.

Interested in a really, really good book?

http://media.bestprices.com/content/isbn/87/1559706287.jpg

In addition to soccer it also addresses racism, Italian regional sociology, 19th century literature and the role of violence in modern society.

shaq-d
06-22-2006, 02:08 PM

r u taking out ur anger on not winning the college WC on the WC itself :rolleyes:

sd

shaq-d
06-22-2006, 02:09 PM
To paraphrase your response:

lol. nice post tom. tooshay.

sd

catulle
06-22-2006, 02:11 PM
"If you were soccer, the sport of kings, would you want the adulation of a people who elected Bush and Cheney, not once but twice? You would not. You would rather return to your roots, Communist or otherwise, and fight fascism with your feet." -Dave Eggers-

That is the conclusion of an excellent, and otherwise entirely non-political, article, which I urge you to read here (http://www.slate.com/id/2142554/).

As a lover of the game, I have mixed feelings about the World Cup. I don't think it represents the soul and the roots of the game, and I have a certain disdain for this overcommercialized, glorified All-Star exhibition. Its appeal, for me, lies in the almost unexpectedly high quality of many of the games, and the many story lines that are played out in this spectacle. Which teenaged starlet will sparkle on the big stage? Which grizzled veteran will end years of underachievement with a heroic performance? Which nation will shatter its people's hopes most cruelly? It's kind of fun in spite of being a horrendously overproduced spectacle run by The Suits.

I know lots of Americans who have played soccer most of their lives, and are excellent players, yet have almost no interest in watching the sport. OK with me.

Aside from what actually happens on the field, one of things that is special about soccer, throughout the world, is the way the community identifies with the club. Teams are promoted and relegated, and the hopes of the community rise and fall with them. American fans (for many different reasons) don't have that kind of relationship with their teams, although Red Sox and Cubs fans might come close. Some of this transfers to the national teams, although not always in an obvious or predictable way.

Interested in a really, really good book?

http://media.bestprices.com/content/isbn/87/1559706287.jpg

In addition to soccer it also addresses racism, Italian regional sociology, 19th century literature and the role of violence in modern society.

Bravo, Goonster...!!! Bravo...!!!!

Fat Robert
06-22-2006, 04:35 PM
You can also refer to several posts in the "Profession" thread describing how people educated in one discipline feel that they are knowledgable about all others. That seems to fit you to a T. By the way, how long did it take you to look up the word "sycophant"? :p

my good pal john...

go ride your concours

oracle
06-22-2006, 04:55 PM
here is a photo of a sycophant (http://www.whitehouse.gov/vicepresident/photoessay/)

obtuse
06-22-2006, 05:02 PM
no more innocence just sycophants to kiss us oh i really miss them.
there's no drugs so we're all sleepy just stay cool my headaches easing i have to admit it ain't appealing all this empire building.
-human shield hit song

obtuse

Serotta_Andrew
06-22-2006, 05:07 PM
I would rather be out riding the bike than monitoring this thread

nick0137
06-22-2006, 05:12 PM
It's nice to see that the old round ball game can still start a good argument. It's one of the things we English football fans like best about the game - beer, argument, heated argument, flying bottle, ruck, blood, stories to tell when you (if you) get home. The game? Oh yeah, I think we won.....

PanTerra
06-22-2006, 05:52 PM
I must be bored, I read this incredibly long thread, or so it seemed, and I have a ride starting in an hour.

inGobwetrust
06-23-2006, 07:59 AM
I must be bored, I read this incredibly long thread, or so it seemed, and I have a ride starting in an hour.

Here, this will perk up your interest in soccer!

http://www.bluehaze.com.au/humour/images/doesthisgoalcount.wmv

catulle
06-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Here, this will perk up your interest in soccer!

http://www.bluehaze.com.au/humour/images/doesthisgoalcount.wmv

Yeah, baby. Real perky, atmo. I love football, iirc.