PDA

View Full Version : Need some new cycling shoes

tbike4
04-26-2016, 04:16 PM
I have worn Giro Factor for about 6000 miles now. I like them as I have narrow feet and they fit well. I got them on close out for around $125 2.5 years ago. Seems hard to find any deals on that shoe in a size 47. Yes I have some boats!!

What say you on shoes. Seems 1/2 of the guys I ride with have Sidi but they are likely too wide. I don't really want to pay more than $200. TIA.

jmoore
04-26-2016, 04:19 PM
I have worn Giro Factor for about 6000 miles now. I like them as I have narrow feet and they fit well. I got them on close out for around $125 2.5 years ago. Seems hard to find any deals on that shoe in a size 47. Yes I have some boats!!

What say you on shoes. Seems 1/2 of the guys I ride with have Sidi but they are likely too wide. I don't really want to pay more than $200. TIA.

If the Giro Factor's fit you well, then get another pair of them. Trying to save money on contact points is asking for trouble.

If you want narrow, try some Northwave Extreme's. They switched to a narrow Italian last a few years back so it might be a good option for you.

DfCas
04-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Sidi makes a narrow shoe in some of their models, both road and mountain.

guido
04-26-2016, 04:30 PM
I just got a pair of Lake MX237 that fit my narrow low volume 46.5 feet like a charm. They completely solved my hot foot issues on long rides. Light and very stiff, but very walkable... If you use spd pedals I definitely suggest you try these... The MX331 cross version hits your price point, has a lighter sole and you can take the toe cleats off...

https://www.bikeshoes.com/Lake-MX331-Mens-Cross-Bike-Shoes/

scho74
04-26-2016, 04:36 PM
I've read that the Fizik R5B Uomos are great shoes. Have yet to try them but they are next on my list.

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/fizik-mens-r5b-uomo-road-shoe

doomridesout
04-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Gotta disagree on the Lakes being narrow. I looked around for a long time to find something that fit my fat feet and settled on Lake 237s because they're wide in the toe box. Giro was too narrow for me before that.

OtayBW
04-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Gotta disagree on the Lakes being narrow. I looked around for a long time to find something that fit my fat feet and settled on Lake 237s because they're wide in the toe box. Giro was too narrow for me before that.
Agree (on that disagree...). The Lake MX237 are great shoes, IMO, but they do indeed have a very roomy toebox. That's also a very good price on them in the Bikeshoes link above.

AngryScientist
04-26-2016, 05:27 PM
If the Giro Factor's fit you well, then get another pair of them. Trying to save money on contact points is asking for trouble. .

Yea,
Agree

stephenmarklay
04-26-2016, 05:46 PM
Those lakes look perfect for me but I really want to get Speedplay pedals. Are any thoughts on a Lake 237ish (wide toe box) shoe with 4 bolt compatibility?

m_sasso
04-26-2016, 06:18 PM
I have a pair of Factors, Sidi Ergo 2's, Lakes and a pair of Shimano's. The Factors are defiantly wider than the Sidi's and the Shimano's but not the Lakes and the Factors are certainly more comfortable than any of the other three. They are not as stiff as the Sidi's however stiffer than the Lakes and Shimano's

If the Factors fit get another pair, I always gab them for my all day 100+K rides !

tbike4
04-26-2016, 06:40 PM
If the Giro Factor's fit you well, then get another pair of them. Trying to save money on contact points is asking for trouble.

That's what I figured. It seems that it's hard to find a size 47 even looking at websites with full retail pricing. Ughhh.

R3awak3n
04-26-2016, 06:46 PM
I love my Bonts, LOVE LOVE LOVE my Bonts.

on the mountain side I like Giros.

MagicHour
04-26-2016, 06:52 PM
Shimano are a good bang for the buck. I have r170s that are still kicking after a couple seasons, but the new RP5 or RP9 models look pretty nice.

Tickdoc
04-26-2016, 07:01 PM
I love my Bonts, LOVE LOVE LOVE my Bonts.

on the mountain side I like Giros.

B st place to buy them? How do they compare fit wise to fizik?

uber
04-26-2016, 07:48 PM
Sidi narrow are a close fit for the Giro ACC, but maybe just a tad more narrow. They are both over $200. Be good to yourself. If you find a shoe that offers no pain or hot spots perhaps it is worth a few dollars more to get them?

R3awak3n
04-26-2016, 08:40 PM
B st place to buy them? How do they compare fit wise to fizik?

I have never had fiziks so I can't answer that. I had Giro ACCs before the bonts and they were a 45 (always felt a bit tight) so I went 46 on the bonts and they are perfect. I think I would have been fine with a 45.5/46 in the giros so I think sizes are similar on those two.

I have no idea where to buy em, I got em here in the forum in almost new condition. I have been seeing people here sell some almost in new condition ones for a steal ($100 or so).

They are weird looking shoes, square in the front and that is why I think they work better, since they look like your foot. They are also the stiffest shoe I ever had but unlike other super stiff shoes, they are extremely comfortable. That and the fact that you can throw em in the over as many times as you want to mold them to your feet.

oh also, buck and velcro is what I like. I realized I hate BOA and laces are just annoying to get into and out of.

Tickdoc
04-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Ok, thanks, and apologies to OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread.i can try on spec and giro local, but that's about it. Only worn sidi and fizik before and hate to plunk down on unknown shoes..

I have never had fiziks so I can't answer that. I had Giro ACCs before the bonts and they were a 45 (always felt a bit tight) so I went 46 on the bonts and they are perfect. I think I would have been fine with a 45.5/46 in the giros so I think sizes are similar on those two.

I have no idea where to buy em, I got em here in the forum in almost new condition. I have been seeing people here sell some almost in new condition ones for a steal ($100 or so).

They are weird looking shoes, square in the front and that is why I think they work better, since they look like your foot. They are also the stiffest shoe I ever had but unlike other super stiff shoes, they are extremely comfortable. That and the fact that you can throw em in the over as many times as you want to mold them to your feet.

oh also, buck and velcro is what I like. I realized I hate BOA and laces are just annoying to get into and out of.

buckfifty
04-26-2016, 08:57 PM
I've read that the Fizik R5B Uomos are great shoes. Have yet to try them but they are next on my list.

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/fizik-mens-r5b-uomo-road-shoe

I have the R3B Uomos, fantastic shoes. I've heard that Fizik is notorious for being too narrow but I have slightly wide feet and these feel great. One dial to tune everything and you're good to go

R3awak3n
04-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Ok, thanks, and apologies to OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread.i can try on spec and giro local, but that's about it. Only worn sidi and fizik before and hate to plunk down on unknown shoes..

I had sidi before the giro and they seemed a bit smaller than giro, that said they were close. Yeah I took the risk and got the shoes without trying them. Could have gone all sorts of wrong, but it was such a good deal and I have always wanted to try bonts.

Elefantino
04-26-2016, 09:28 PM
Word(s).

metalheart
04-27-2016, 10:07 AM
I just bought the Bontragger Classique lace-ups and have a few rides on them and they are very nice shoes (my previous shoe was Sidi). They are on sale now for 139, a great deal for the quality of the shoe (stiff carbon sole, nice ventilated uppers, and decent aesthetics.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/apparel/cycling-apparel/cycling-shoes/bontrager-classique-road-shoe/p/12551

BobC
04-27-2016, 11:09 AM
My recommendation would be stick with the Giro as well.

One thing to remember if you do go with Sidi: Sidis last FOREVER & are as bullet proof a shoe can be. You would not be replacing them every couple years, so spending a little extra up front is just saving money in the long run.

Cheers, BobC

tbike4
04-27-2016, 03:38 PM
My recommendation would be stick with the Giro as well.

One thing to remember if you do go with Sidi: Sidis last FOREVER & are as bullet proof a shoe can be. You would not be replacing them every couple years, so spending a little extra up front is just saving money in the long run.

Cheers, BobC

I have heard that Sidi do last a very long time. So it may come down to which shoe I can find in a 47. I found one website that has the Giro Factor ACC for $300. Is the ACC different than a regular Factor? Looks like the sole may be different as it is listed as the "Easton EA90 ACC sole".