PDA

View Full Version : Rim tape question

Robbos
04-26-2016, 08:01 AM
I'm soon going to finish up my latest wheel project using Velocity A23 rims, OC rear. I just wanted to choose the right rim tape, and boom, the internet reveals endless threads about difficulties getting tires on the A23's and the importance of getting the right rim tape. Lots of folks seem to use industrial tape (3M, etc). For now I'm settling on Stans tubeless tape. I AM NOT running tubeless, so my question is, because it is not entirely clear, if I run a double layer of Stans tubeless tape, am I also supposed to run some sort of regular rim tape on top to re-enforce it?

Black Dog
04-26-2016, 08:04 AM
two layers of stans and you are good to go. Tubes or no tubes.

josephr
04-26-2016, 08:08 AM
Pacenti blue tape supports your fellow Paceliner who supports the board....goes on easy....nothing against Pacenti, but tape is tape for the most part.

ColonelJLloyd
04-26-2016, 08:11 AM
If you're not setting them up tubeless, you only need one layer. That's all I ever do and it works great.

two layers of stans and you are good to go. Tubes or no tubes.

oldpotatoe
04-26-2016, 08:32 AM
I'm soon going to finish up my latest wheel project using Velocity A23 rims, OC rear. I just wanted to choose the right rim tape, and boom, the internet reveals endless threads about difficulties getting tires on the A23's and the importance of getting the right rim tape. Lots of folks seem to use industrial tape (3M, etc). For now I'm settling on Stans tubeless tape. I AM NOT running tubeless, so my question is, because it is not entirely clear, if I run a double layer of Stans tubeless tape, am I also supposed to run some sort of regular rim tape on top to re-enforce it?

No, just the tubeless tape..Orange seal, stans, pacenti..works great, all you need. Double cuz a tube is pushing against it at each spoke hole.

Robbos
04-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Thanks folks, confirms what I thought!

Bradford
04-26-2016, 09:10 AM
If you're not setting them up tubeless, you only need one layer. That's all I ever do and it works great.

You need two layers...I found out the hard way. I went through three tubes in a row before I thought to look at the rim tape and found I'd blown through a spoke hole.

guido
04-26-2016, 09:23 AM
At lower tire pressure levels one layer of tape works fine...

Vinci
04-26-2016, 09:36 AM
3M Blue Film tape. MUCH cheaper than Stan's and just as good. Works great with tubes or without.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C0Z1Z5C/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

This is the size I used for 18mm inner-width carbon road wheels. It fits perfectly and holds up to tubeless pressures as well as tube pressures with a double layer. Never tried single, so I can't comment on that.

ColonelJLloyd
04-26-2016, 10:24 AM
You need two layers...I found out the hard way. I went through three tubes in a row before I thought to look at the rim tape and found I'd blown through a spoke hole.

All I can say is that I haven't needed two layers yet on a half dozen wheelsets. Granted, there may have been one pair of tires on all of those that saw pressures >80psi.

cinema
04-26-2016, 11:15 AM

that is strange.

josephr
04-26-2016, 11:18 AM
one or two layers of tape? Shimano or Campy? Disc or Rim? Carbon or Steel? Beer or Skratch Labs recovery smoothie? Strava or RWGPS? Eddy or Lance? :fight:

bikinchris
04-26-2016, 11:27 AM
that is strange.

Yes, going through three tubes before looking where the flat came from is weird. In fact, going through fixing a single flat without finding the cause is strange.

Bradford
04-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Yes, going through three tubes before looking where the flat came from is weird. In fact, going through fixing a single flat without finding the cause is strange.

Not really, since in 30+ years of riding with cloth rim tape, where the rim tape was never a problem, I didn't know that was a possible cause. I checked every inch of that tire several times and couldn't find the cause. I thought I was pinching the tube when I was installing it, then I notices the hole in the tape.

OldCrank
04-26-2016, 12:27 PM
No love for Velo Plugs? I had good luck with them in `cross and road.

But they now say A23s *don't* accept them...?
http://www.velocityusa.com/product/accessories/veloplugs

dan682
04-26-2016, 12:34 PM
I've used Pacenti and Stans tape with tubes. Pacenti seems slightly thinner so I used 2 layers with it and 1 with the Stans. I haven't had any problems in 1000s of miles - this is with tire pressures of 80-90psi.

p nut
04-26-2016, 01:11 PM

I set it up just opposite of that.

Tubed: 2 layers, especially if on a road rim with >90psi
Tubeless: 1 layer

Tried 3M and other tape. Stans works the best for me.

rccardr
04-26-2016, 01:33 PM
I got my A23's about two years ago, had numerous problems with mounting and tape creep using conventional tape. Tried the wheel plugs, which made mounting easier but then Velocity said that it was not good to use them on that particular rim.

Eventually went over each hole with a burr removal stone on a Dremel, then blew them off/vacuumed them to get out any fine particles, then two layers of Stan's yellow tape. Totally cured all problems with flats caused by them rims, also easier to mount tires as long as you pay attention to keeping the bead in the center of the rim.

scoobydrew
01-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Sorry to bump this thread back up, but is anyone else running only 1 layer of tape (Stan's, etc.) with their tubeless setup?

I am having the hardest time trying to mount a WTB Nano TCS on my rear A23 OC (tubeless ready) wheel, which I put 2 layers of Stan's tape on. I will be running these tubeless. I had tried most of the tricks, such as soapy water, removing the valve core, etc. with no luck.

My front wheel, also an A23, was purchased with only 1 layer of tape installed. With some soapy water and an air compressor, I was able to have the tires seat relatively easily. Because of this, I'm possibly looking into running only 1 layer of tape on the rear.

Cicli
01-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Sorry to bump this thread back up, but is anyone else running only 1 layer of tape (Stan's, etc.) with their tubeless setup?

I am having the hardest time trying to mount a WTB Nano TCS on my rear A23 OC (tubeless ready) wheel, which I put 2 layers of Stan's tape on. I will be running these tubeless. I had tried most of the tricks, such as soapy water, removing the valve core, etc. with no luck.

My front wheel, also an A23, was purchased with only 1 layer of tape installed. With some soapy water and an air compressor, I was able to have the tires seat relatively easily. Because of this, I'm possibly looking into running only 1 layer of tape on the rear.

Cant get the tire mounted or cant get the bead to seat?

Within reason, once the tire is on the rim, thicker tape will fill the center and make seating the bead easier.

scoobydrew
01-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Cant get the tire mounted or cant get the bead to seat?

Within reason, once the tire is on the rim, thicker tape will fill the center and make seating the bead easier.

Sorry should have clarified -- I can't get the bead to seat. I can get about 75% to seat, but I cannot get the last bit (coincidentally around the area where the tape slightly overlaps).

Black Dog
01-21-2017, 05:06 PM
Try this stuff. A bit thinner that stans etc, but with two wraps it is stronger and air tight, and easier to mount a tire. Also, way cheaper than "rim" tape.

Owfeel Generic High Temperature Resistance Golden Polyimide Kapton Tape 20mmx33m/0.787"x36Yds … (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00L6CWIME/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51xNuWVNwUL._SL1024_.jpg

cinema
01-21-2017, 06:42 PM
i prefer stans or ringle 25mm tape. pacenti tape is too thin and narrow and over the course of a few thousand miles and pulling tires on and off the rim, the tape crunched up into the center channel and some of the spoke holes were exposed which caused several flats before i pulled the whole roll off and retaped.

oldpotatoe
01-22-2017, 06:13 AM

Using a compressor?

ColonelJLloyd
01-22-2017, 12:43 PM
If the beads won't seat with 90psi then it sounds like there is something in the way or binding (which should be evident). Soapy water and high PSI should do it if everything is correct.

i prefer stans or ringle 25mm tape. pacenti tape is too thin and narrow and over the course of a few thousand miles and pulling tires on and off the rim, the tape crunched up into the center channel and some of the spoke holes were exposed which caused several flats before i pulled the whole roll off and retaped.

Too narrow? They come in different widths; choose the right one.

Did you prep the rim with alcohol before installing tape? I have never had issues of any tubeless tape (Stan's, Pacenti, Velocity) slipping.

chasing120
01-23-2017, 10:17 AM
I'm a one layer only guy. But the only one layer tape that has worked for me is the Zip tape from Lowes/Home Depot. For a road application, you would need to cut it way down; I have done this in the past with other tape with a hack saw to the entire roll at once.

scoobydrew
01-23-2017, 11:39 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions. After more attempts, I was able to get them to seat with a liberal amount of soapy water and high psi with my compressor.

DRZRM
01-23-2017, 03:07 PM
If this works for me, I definitely owe you a beer, or a 6-pack...hell with 7 tubeless bikes and 7 tubeless wheelsets, I should buy you a case. Damned Enve hidden spokes, I had to re-wrap one wheel twice in a week from a failed aluminum nipple.

3M Blue Film tape. MUCH cheaper than Stan's and just as good. Works great with tubes or without.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C0Z1Z5C/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

This is the size I used for 18mm inner-width carbon road wheels. It fits perfectly and holds up to tubeless pressures as well as tube pressures with a double layer. Never tried single, so I can't comment on that.

Vinci
01-23-2017, 03:14 PM
If this works for me, I definitely owe you a beer, or a 6-pack...hell with 7 tubeless bikes and 7 tubeless wheelsets, I should buy you a case. Damned Enve hidden spokes, I had to re-wrap one wheel twice in a week from a failed aluminum nipple.
Mine is still holding fine after more than a year. I run my tires around 75-80PSI, though, so no comments on higher pressures.

Check the customer reviews on Amazon for that tape. Pretty much every one is someone using it for tubeless wheels. :p

cinema
01-23-2017, 04:47 PM
If the beads won't seat with 90psi then it sounds like there is something in the way or binding (which should be evident). Soapy water and high PSI should do it if everything is correct.

Too narrow? They come in different widths; choose the right one.

Did you prep the rim with alcohol before installing tape? I have never had issues of any tubeless tape (Stan's, Pacenti, Velocity) slipping.

Unfortunately I had them built for me and didn't specify anything regarding which tape the builder use. I wasn't aware pacenti came in multiple widths, my bad. most likely the tape was just too narrow.

ColonelJLloyd
01-23-2017, 06:18 PM
Unfortunately I had them built for me and didn't specify anything regarding which tape the builder use. I wasn't aware pacenti came in multiple widths, my bad. most likely the tape was just too narrow.

Gotcha.