PDA

View Full Version : Alpinestars baggy shorts at Costco!

Tony
04-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Surprised to find Alpinestars baggy shorts at Costco. I can't find the model shorts on Alpinestars or Costco web site, however they look like a cross between the Hyperlight Shorts and the Predator, but with a draw string, $19.00!!

Louis
04-25-2016, 07:38 PM
I've been debating getting a Costco membership. Not that baggy shorts would put me over the edge, but in general, do folks find it a worthwhile investment? ($55 / year)

Tony
04-25-2016, 07:43 PM
We got a deal, $55.00 for two years. Yes, for me and my family it's been a good investment. We get our dog food there, Kirkland Salmon and sweet potato, that alone has made it worth it!

velotrack
04-25-2016, 07:47 PM
It's real easy to buy too much at Costco and have food go to waste. Like a 2-loaf pack of bread... can't quite finish that before it goes stale, unfortunately.

Lewis Moon
04-25-2016, 08:02 PM
It's real easy to buy too much at Costco and have food go to waste. Like a 2-loaf pack of bread... can't quite finish that before it goes stale, unfortunately.

We freeze a loaf.

R3awak3n
04-25-2016, 08:09 PM
it really depends, you need to figure out if its worth it for you or not. A family of 2, probably not, more than 2 then most likely worth it.

Then again we don't pay for our membership. My wifes dad has his and got my wife a card. Sams club, not costco though... I get it for free, so I am not going to complain

AngryScientist
04-25-2016, 08:11 PM
I dont know if regionally all costcos have the same suppliers, but...

has anyone else tried the costco spiral cut ham??

so good!

sorry, back to your regularly scheduled program.

geeter
04-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Can you snap a pic of the shorts?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Louis
04-25-2016, 08:56 PM
it really depends, you need to figure out if its worth it for you or not. A family of 2, probably not, more than 2 then most likely worth it.

I'm just a single guy, so unless I can get a deal that's better than $55/year it sounds like it wouldn't be worth it.

Tony
04-25-2016, 09:17 PM
Can you snap a pic of the shorts?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Here you go

https://picasaweb.google.com/107709068384636814318/6277682860287921105

ultraman6970
04-25-2016, 09:18 PM
Gonna have to check my local costco.

link doestn works

zmudshark
04-25-2016, 09:28 PM
I'm just a single guy, so unless I can get a deal that's better than $55/year it sounds like it wouldn't be worth it.If you don't get the $55 back in rewards, they refund the difference. Their tires and batteries are a good deal, so are TVs and computers. Not everything is in huge quantities, but we (wife & I) find it worth the membership. We don't buy everything there, but enough to make it worthwhile.

Tony
04-25-2016, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure why the link doesn't work? I'll try again.

downtube
04-25-2016, 09:30 PM
I go with a friend, we each buy our own stuff but then we split some things that are too large for our families. We typically split the 2 pack of milk, shredded cheese, bacon, chicken and bread items. We shop once a week, always find new stuff. Its a fun trip. I have bought a lot of different non food items , and got what I considered to be a very good deal. They seem to demand high quality from their suppliers. I would say it is well worth the $55 entry fee. Not to mention the $1.50 polish sausage and soda!

ultraman6970
04-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Working now... thanks, will stop by costco tomorrow.

My wife got a couple of base layers from costco, 32 degrees or something like that are called, super nice. 15 bucks.

LJohnny
04-25-2016, 09:53 PM
We freeze a loaf.

This, and also the ham, turkey deli meats, even cheese, but that is a bit tricky, depending on the type.

zzy
04-25-2016, 10:02 PM
Costco has shockingly cheap prices on stuff you wouldn't expect, like electronics and pharmaceuticals (and they even post the prices online). They consistently beat Amazon on many products. I used to go with my gf and her family. We'd buy in bulk and portion it out. I loved the samples. And the chicken melts aren't half bad either. Their frozen and baked goods are also especially good. Here in Brooklyn Costso happens to be next to one of the cheapest wine/liquor stores in the city (NYC is a ripoff for alcohol), but it's not owned by Costco. Big costco fan here - the fact that they also take care of their employees also makes me happy to shot there.

Ken Robb
04-25-2016, 10:09 PM
There is just Leslie and me at home and COSTCO is absolutely worth it for us. The prices are unbeatable and so is the return policy. Except for electronics which have a 90 day limit we can return anything we buy at any time for any reason. The COSTCO branded clothing is typically a great value.

I do get frustrated that fresh fish/meat is very good but typically packaged too big for us to eat while fresh. Oh well, it does freeze nicely. Some things like pasta sauce consist of 3-5 jars taped together. It takes us a while but we do get through it all eventually.

First Tier gasoline is always available at prices way below those charged even by second-tier stations or below. First-tier means the gas has additive packages equal to Chevron, Shell, etc.

Polyglot
04-25-2016, 10:10 PM
My family has an executive membership ($110 per year) and every year our rebate check has always been substantially greater than the membership amount. In our area, they have the cheapest gas (no membership required however to get the regular price, but you only get the rebate if you are a member) around before you factor in the rebate. They also have prices on many items that are exceedingly inexpensive when compared to other shops in my area (most office supplies for example). They also have hassle-free return policies and look after their customers and their staff. Indeed there are still many of the original staff members at the local store that opened in 2003. That is definitely not the case in other stores.

Tony
04-25-2016, 10:16 PM
I go with a friend, we each buy our own stuff but then we split some things that are too large for our families. We typically split the 2 pack of milk, shredded cheese, bacon, chicken and bread items. We shop once a week, always find new stuff. Its a fun trip. I have bought a lot of different non food items , and got what I considered to be a very good deal. They seem to demand high quality from their suppliers. I would say it is well worth the $55 entry fee. Not to mention the $1.50 polish sausage and soda!

The turkey pesto on ciabatta bread is amazing for under $4.00

beeatnik
04-26-2016, 12:03 AM
4.99 Rotisserie Chicken

http://time.com/money/3901655/costco-rotisserie-chickens-hot-dogs/

Pro tip: In California no membership is required to buy booze.

Davist
04-26-2016, 05:08 AM
Big fan, got the executive membership, always pays for itself. Good deals on TVs, computers, tires for your car, bought a chest freezer to store stuff. Chicken breasts come pre portioned in two piece packs x 6.. (for example)

good deals on weird stuff, like a cooler with wheels I use all the time, kept ice for 3+ days on a bike trip once

David Tollefson
04-26-2016, 06:48 AM
Costco and many other lower-cost stores often get product lines that, while sharing the same label and maybe even the same "model name" as those at the premium stores, are made cheaper and of lesser materials than those premium products. So those Alpinestars baggies share the name, they are likely not the same. Not that they're bad, but making comparisons to other store lines is not always apples-to-apples.

RFC
04-26-2016, 11:48 AM
4.99 Rotisserie Chicken

http://time.com/money/3901655/costco-rotisserie-chickens-hot-dogs/

Pro tip: In California no membership is required to buy booze.

The chicken, alone, is worth it.

With two sons away at college but still within short haul distance, I go to Costco whenever they are home to stock them up.

Among other things, we buy buckets of Humus.

Kirk007
04-26-2016, 01:16 PM

so good!

Agreed. And at $1.99/lb its a considerable deal by Seattle standards.

nalax
04-26-2016, 01:23 PM
Yep, it's good.

so good!

tmf
04-26-2016, 11:35 PM
For me, the lower gas prices and the deal I got on car tires paid for the membership easily. Not only are the gas prices usually lower, but they also seem to have a few days delay on raising them when everyone else is going up. There are times when a full tank of gas at Costco saves you quite a bit.

For groceries, I still buy certain things there, but we've switched over to Aldi for most things. I did a detailed price comparison for a few months, and Aldi averaged 15-20% cheaper than Costco almost across the board. A new Aldi recently opened close to my house, and I've been very happy so far.

I tend to get my produce at Meijer, a few specific items & gas at Costco, and most of the rest at Aldi.

I will go be going by to see if Costco has those shorts.

Tony
04-27-2016, 09:28 AM
"going by to see if Costco has those shorts"

I used them yesterday on a 32 mile mtb ride. Same quality as the their Hyperlight Shorts that cost me over $60.00. The Hyperlights have three pockets, these only have one on the right side which I like as I don't use my pockets to store. Went back and got another pair.

jlyon
04-27-2016, 09:59 AM
I save over $50 a year just on nuts at Costco.

Big bags of Pecans, Walnuts and Almonds. Freeze them and take a ziplock bag to work each week to snack on.

BlueFly
04-27-2016, 10:25 AM
I've been debating getting a Costco membership. Not that baggy shorts would put me over the edge, but in general, do folks find it a worthwhile investment? ($55 / year)

We (empty nesters) cannot justify the $55 for the ability to save $ on healthful food items - veggies (frozen/fresh), fruit (frozen/fresh), meat/seafood.

If you are looking for other items such as vehicle tires, TV's, mattresses or the like, it may be beneficial.

brockd15
04-27-2016, 02:33 PM
We (empty nesters) cannot justify the $55 for the ability to save $ on healthful food items - veggies (frozen/fresh), fruit (frozen/fresh), meat/seafood.

If you are looking for other items such as vehicle tires, TV's, mattresses or the like, it may be beneficial.

It really depends on what you buy frequently and what other options you have locally. Just on chicken, beef, eggs, frozen veggies, frozen fruit, almond butter, etc. (the staples) it's easily worth it for us. Our only really viable grocery alternative here is Safeway (without having to always hit multiple stores) and their prices can be sickening for a frugal guy like me when compared to Costco. We can make up the cost of the membership in one visit.

linger
04-27-2016, 07:06 PM
I have called 2 costcos close to me in OH and nothing. I also checked online. Nada. Where are you all finding these baggies? I want a black pair!

weisan
04-27-2016, 07:13 PM
Louis pal, I think you owe us 55 bucks.

Tony
04-27-2016, 08:43 PM
I have called 2 costcos close to me in OH and nothing. I also checked online. Nada. Where are you all finding these baggies? I want a black pair!

Costco Wholesale
1600 Expo Pkwy
Sacramento CA
(916) 563-7002

Louis
04-27-2016, 08:52 PM
Louis pal, I think you owe us 55 bucks.

Talk to Tony ;)

avalonracing
04-27-2016, 10:20 PM
Costco and many other lower-cost stores often get product lines that, while sharing the same label and maybe even the same "model name" as those at the premium stores, are made cheaper and of lesser materials than those premium products. So those Alpinestars baggies share the name, they are likely not the same. Not that they're bad, but making comparisons to other store lines is not always apples-to-apples.

Not necessarily. Costco also works with many manufacturers to improve their products from what would normally be offered and then sells them at a better price point.
They also pay their employees livable wages and promote from within. That is why you'll see the same employees at their stores for years and they are always working hard and seem to have good attitudes.
It is a pretty cool company.

downtube
04-27-2016, 10:36 PM
Not necessarily. Costco also works with many manufacturers to improve their products from what would normally be offered and then sells them at a better price point.
They also pay their employees livable wages and promote from within. That is why you'll see the same employees at their stores for years and they are always working hard and seem to have good attitudes.
It is a pretty cool company.

Excellent track record with their employees. Salary, treatment and working conditions help create employees that are loyal and hard working.

I purchase some back yard furniture at Costco last year and have to say the quality is fantastic. When you walk the aisles you will be amazed at the great stuff they carry.

NickD
04-27-2016, 11:37 PM
A big +1 for the spiral ham. Freeze some, like the bread, and use the bone and some meat for split pea soup. Buy most of my gasoline there. Optical dept. has good prices and service. I did drop from executive card this year though. If you spend a lot, they allow executive upgrade during the year. Good whole bean coffee deals. I like Kirkland expresso. Lots of other stuff but the produce seems overpriced compared to my local purveyor. And hard to buy small amounts of the latter. Oh, good microbrew deals. Well worth the $55, which is usually covered by later rebate.

weisan
04-28-2016, 07:58 AM
Talk to Tony ;)

I am talkin' bout the minimum savings your pal here are getting you at Costco.

Ken Robb
04-28-2016, 09:58 AM
RE: some "Big Name" discount/outlet stores selling different clothing than they sell in their regular retail stores. Consumers Reports found this to be true. I can remember my first visits to outlet stores and they were usually located in or very near the factory where the clothes were made. It was just a way for the manufacturers to unload overstocks, seconds, last year's styles, etc. We could never expect a full range of styles and sizes. The rapid growth in popularity of these outlets soon led manufacturers to add second-rate merchandise to their offerings. At some discount stores like Nordstrom's Rack you can still find old regular stock from regular Nordie's mixed with stuff of lesser quality made just for The Rack. This is most obvious to me in mens' suits/sport coats. Not only are the ones from regular stores obviously better quality but they also still have the sale tags from the regular store in addition the Rack tickets.

OTOH my experience with COSTCO (Kirkland) brand clothing has shown it to be equal to or BETTER than many name brands. A current example: COSTCO is selling well-made Kirkland jeans of ring-spun denim for $13. They are better in every way than the Levis offered for $25 on the next table. I know some other Levi models are still made pretty well but they cost $40 or more. We have had several discussions in the past with guys raving about their luxury jeans that cost $100 or more but that price range for a pair of jeans is not how I would ever spend my $$.

I "get" the expensive jeans scene for some folks. My wife has bought me several pairs of fashion ass-grabbers and I quickly returned them. We are still married.:D

Louis
04-28-2016, 11:18 AM
I "get" the expensive jeans scene for some folks. My wife has bought me several pairs of fashion ass-grabbers and I quickly returned them.

A while back my mother got me some skinny jeans. I am able to get into them, but really dislike wearing them. I told her absolutely no more of these.

David Tollefson
04-28-2016, 11:41 AM
A while back my mother got me some skinny jeans. I am able to get into them, but really dislike wearing them. I told her absolutely no more of these.

Bring back the Silver Tab Baggies!

buldogge
04-28-2016, 06:22 PM
I wish Costco/Kirkland would knock off some EB/First Ascent climbing jeans (R.I.P.)!!!

We use Costco for the shop, so I also use it for the family (of 3)...but...as stated, gotta be careful with the bulk/fresh stuff, lest it go bad before being used up.

Kirkland dog food is repackaged Diamond, and nicely priced, around $20 less a 40# bag, than the Diamond branded version.

-Mark in St. Louis