PDA

View Full Version : 126mm spacing vs 128mm spacing

azrider
04-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Gents. Seeking knowledge.

I've got a Centurion Ironman with Shimano 600 and rear wheel spaced at 126

Would that same group work if i transferred it to a frame spaced at 128mm???

TIA !!

eBAUMANN
04-25-2016, 03:15 PM
yes, its 1mm on either side...which is practically nothing ;)

AJM100
04-25-2016, 03:15 PM
wouldn't you need to build out the axel 1mm on either side to allow for the quick release to clamp securely?

mhespenheide
04-25-2016, 03:17 PM
128 was (to my knowledge) never an "official" frame spacing. A handful of frames were made to 128mm spec during the transition from 126mm to 130mm so that you could use either type of rear wheel.

You'll be fine.

eBAUMANN
04-25-2016, 03:17 PM
wouldn't you need to build out the axel 1mm on either side to allow for the quick release to clamp securely?

no. the axle spacing has nothing to do with the function of the quick release. qr's are designed to be very flexible with sizing (as the 1" or so of threads might suggest) because every frame has slightly different width dropouts and spacing.

azrider
04-25-2016, 03:43 PM
128 was (to my knowledge) never an "official" frame spacing. A handful of frames were made to 128mm spec during the transition from 126mm to 130mm so that you could use either type of rear wheel.

You'll be fine.

thank you for the useful/productive non smary reply!

When I first got into cycling 7 or 8 years ago i got a frame that was giving me all sorts of fits, was always misshifting, always had wheel issues.....turns out the frame was missaligned by 2mm so I just don't like to mess around with things and prefer to be exact

even if it is "1mm on both sides"

eBAUMANN
04-25-2016, 03:56 PM
no trying to be "smarmy," just trying to answer your question...

so long as the RD hanger isnt bent, the rear dropout spacing or minor frame mis-alignment wont have any effect on shifting...as the RD just need to be aligned with the cassette to work properly.

i read once that a lot of production steel frames (think surly, soma, etc) have qc tolerances that are around 2.5mm-5mm for alignment and dropout spacing. just what i read, and i believe it.

i have on numerous occasions stuck 130mm hubs in 126mm dropouts and vise versa...it all works fine in both directions. steel is very resilient material and it takes quite a bit of force to cold set a frame, a few mm in either direction is not going to have any effect.

azrider
04-25-2016, 04:00 PM
so long as the RD hanger isnt bend, the rear dropout spacing or minor frame mis-alignment wont have any effect on shifting...as the RD just need to be aligned with the cassette to work properly.

i read once that a lot of production steel frames (think surly, soma, etc) have qc tolerances that are around 2.5mm-5mm for alignment and dropout spacing. just what i read, and i believe it.

i have on numerous occasions stuck 130mm hubs in 126mm dropouts and vise versa...it all works fine in both directions. steel is very resilient material and it takes quite a bit of force to cold set a frame, a few mm in either direction is not going to have any effect.

perfect. this helps answer the question and gives me quick education at the same time

thanks to all who replied!

zmudshark
04-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Doug,

I have frame/fork/dropout alignment tools and the derailleur tool if you need to have the frame checked. I have 4 weeks left here in AZ.

azrider
04-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Doug,

I have frame/fork/dropout alignment tools and the derailleur tool if you need to have the frame checked. I have 4 weeks left here in AZ.

Thanks John! Check your PM

bmeryman
04-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Related aside: Surly sometimes specs their frames with what they call "Gnot-rite spacing." They build the rear ends to 132.5 so that you can use either 130 or 135 hubs.

zmudshark
04-25-2016, 09:35 PM
The bike you are looking at came with 130 spacing.