PDA

View Full Version : SPD-SL -> Speedplay?

benb
04-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Has anyone here switched from Shimano SPD-SL pedals/cleats to Speedplay pedals/cleats without buying new shoes?

I would like to move my cleats back on my road shoes.. I have a pair of Bontrager road shoes and MTB shoes that fit the same that I can use the same pair of orthotics in. The MTB shoes allow the cleats to be much further back (with SPDs) than I can put the cleats on the road shoes with SPD-SLs. I have the cleat on the right foot all the way back on the road shoes and the pedal axle still probably is 1cm forward on the road shoes compared to the MTB shoes. The MTB shoes have even more room available too.

Right now I'm not even using my road shoes.. the cleat position ends up meaning I have numb feet problems even though the road shoes have a carbon sole and the MTB shoes don't. (And it's a pretty big difference.. the road shoes can be an issue inside 1 hour if I ride hard enough.)

My LBS has suggested I try Speedplays.. it does sound promising as for example Steve Hogg is pretty vocal about liking Speedplay for their fore-aft adjustment and they also have the extra fore/aft adjustment plate.

It's kind of dumb.. I've been on SPD-SL for 12 years and they've never really been ideal.

Getting speed plays would be semi-expensive but much less so than new road shoes and having to end up getting a new pair of orthotics. I have actually gone back and had the orthotics worked on a 2nd time to try and alleviate this problem and it helped but couldn't solve the problem.. the fact that it is a non-issue with the MTB shoes with the exact same orthotics tells me it's probably more cleat position and less anything to do with the pedal platform or sole of the shoe.

Mark McM
04-25-2016, 01:54 PM
I haven't switched from SPD-SL to Speedplay, but I can make a few comments about Speedplay adjustability.

With the standard baseplate, fore-aft adjustability is roughly the same as with most other 3 hole cleats*. The ultimate limit on how far aft you can adjust the cleats is the position of the bolt holes on the shoes (sometimes the bolt holes are poorly placed). So with the standard base plate, you probably won't be able to move the Speedplay cleat much further back than the SPD-SL cleat.

However, Speedplay makes a special (extra cost) cleat extender plate, which allows the cleats to be mounted an additional 14mm rearward. Perhaps that will be sufficient for you.

*For shoes with 4 holes soles, the standard baseplate is omitted, and fore-aft adjustment is completely within the shoe sole.

benb
04-25-2016, 02:02 PM
I have 3 hole shoes (no adjustment on the shoe side) and I was assuming I'd have to get that extender plate. If Speedplays have about the same adjustment as other cleats without that plate my guess is the extender plate would solve my problem.

It seems like the other option would be to try Shimano shoes that have the sliding 3-hole system for extra adjustment and get new Orthotics. But it sounds like Speedplay Zeros + the adjustment plate would be less expensive than even a new pair of shoes.

wombatspeed
04-25-2016, 02:46 PM
I went through the same process a few years ago: From experimenting with my Frog MTB pedals and cleats I found that I preferred a more rearward cleat position (axle behind ball of foot by maybe a centimeter).

I replicated the cleat position on my Zero pedals by adding the adapter plate. 5 years later I still like.

I would give it a try...

stephenmarklay
04-25-2016, 02:56 PM
I went through the same process a few years ago: From experimenting with my Frog MTB pedals and cleats I found that I preferred a more rearward cleat position (axle behind ball of foot by maybe a centimeter).

I replicated the cleat position on my Zero pedals by adding the adapter plate. 5 years later I still like.

I would give it a try...

Good to know about this.

John H.
04-25-2016, 02:57 PM
I tried what you are describing a few years ago for the same reasons.
I did not stick with it because I hated the Speedplay pedals.
I think you are better off drilling new holes in your shoes or moving to a shoe with holes that are further back.

oldpotatoe
04-26-2016, 06:23 AM
Has anyone here switched from Shimano SPD-SL pedals/cleats to Speedplay pedals/cleats without buying new shoes?

I would like to move my cleats back on my road shoes.. I have a pair of Bontrager road shoes and MTB shoes that fit the same that I can use the same pair of orthotics in. The MTB shoes allow the cleats to be much further back (with SPDs) than I can put the cleats on the road shoes with SPD-SLs. I have the cleat on the right foot all the way back on the road shoes and the pedal axle still probably is 1cm forward on the road shoes compared to the MTB shoes. The MTB shoes have even more room available too.

Right now I'm not even using my road shoes.. the cleat position ends up meaning I have numb feet problems even though the road shoes have a carbon sole and the MTB shoes don't. (And it's a pretty big difference.. the road shoes can be an issue inside 1 hour if I ride hard enough.)

My LBS has suggested I try Speedplays.. it does sound promising as for example Steve Hogg is pretty vocal about liking Speedplay for their fore-aft adjustment and they also have the extra fore/aft adjustment plate.

It's kind of dumb.. I've been on SPD-SL for 12 years and they've never really been ideal.

Getting speed plays would be semi-expensive but much less so than new road shoes and having to end up getting a new pair of orthotics. I have actually gone back and had the orthotics worked on a 2nd time to try and alleviate this problem and it helped but couldn't solve the problem.. the fact that it is a non-issue with the MTB shoes with the exact same orthotics tells me it's probably more cleat position and less anything to do with the pedal platform or sole of the shoe.

Not SPD-SL to Speedplay but Look-Campag ProFit and then to SP zero. I put the cleats in the same relative position and they felt like 'clipless pedals'. In other words, other than the adjustable float, felt the same.

SP are the most adjustable in terms of left-right and fore-aft.

Get the Zero Chrom-Moly..same 'puck', just a ChromMoly axle rather than stainless steel..cheaper and work the same.

A fan of SP..2 sided, adjustable float, lotsa adjustment, easy to maintain..can buy one pedal if ya kill one, numerous axle lengths available.....

benb
04-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys, I may try it. No way to know if I'll like/dislike SPs but if they can be put in the right place on the shoe that goes a long way and if the Zeros have adjustable float I can probably get a float setting similar to shimano and I'll be fine.

Not sure about the timeframe for trying this as it's really easy to just ride regular MTB style SPD on all my bikes too.

I have a set of the PD-A600 pedals on my road bike right now and they're working fine with my MTB shoes. They're 30g heavier than Dura Ace or something.