PDA

View Full Version : Pro Equipment: Who's got the edge?

goonster
06-21-2006, 04:22 AM
The bike industry touts technological innovation.

Every year frames, components and accessories get lighter, faster, stiffer, more compliant, sleeker, more damping, less rolling resistant, smoother etc.

One way the makers showcase their work is by sponsoring pro teams and submitting their stuff to the rigors of competition.

So, if there's anything to it, the proof should be in the pudding, right? Are there any current teams that have a distinct advantage, or disadvantage, however slight, due to the equipment they're using?

Historically, negative examples come to mind more readily, e.g. Fignon's Ti bb spindle and Tyler's freehub that was light on pawls. Also, we occasionally hear stories of things like stems and bars failing and then quietly being replaced by other models or manufacturers.

Nobody wants to dog their sponsors, but let's hear it from the trenches. Who's got the edge?

shinomaster
06-21-2006, 05:17 AM
The US Army has the best Main Battle Tank, the M1A2.

stevep
06-21-2006, 05:49 AM
the stuff is interchangeable.
i have never met a pro who cared ( much ) about what he/she rode.
i have met a few pros who did not know what size frame they ride...or care.
is any of this stuff bad enough to disadvantage a rider using it?
doubt it.

ada@prorider.or
06-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Who's got the edge?

Fat Robert
06-21-2006, 07:26 AM
U2 has The Edge

and they've sucked since 1983

ergott
06-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Who's got the edge?

THe team with the best doctor. :D

sspielman
06-21-2006, 10:05 AM
My understanding is that the equipment selection (sponsorship) is primarily a decision of not providing a DISADVANTAGE....of course, this applies to normal road equipment and not to aerodynamic TT equipment. As has been observed by others, many pros could give a cr@p about what they ride as long as the mechanics can make it work. However, there are also alot of pros who enjoy it when they are sponsored by equipment makers who are "hip"....If you go to the Mallorca Challenge in January, you will see all of the riders checking out the equipment being ridden by the other teams.....They will all ooh and aah over the Caisse d'Epargne Pinarellos.....or the Rabobank Colnagos.....or the Quickstep Times.....Few will show much emotion over a Giant...except the ones that are a little "special"...when it comes time to race, though, it is all forgotten.

saab2000
06-21-2006, 10:21 AM
U2 has The Edge

I disagree. They did not really start sucking 'til after 'Achtung Baby'.

onekgguy
06-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Oh, I thought you were talking about the Garmin Edge...I've got one of those...very cool.

http://www.kevinandtammy.net/images/ride_photos/edge_climb_profile.jpg

goonster
06-21-2006, 11:13 AM
I disagree. They did not really start sucking 'til after 'Achtung Baby'.

OK, but: 'Rattle & Hum' $ucked

and: 'Lemon' is the greatest song David Bowie never wrote

Endless Goods
06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Is Fast Freddy still using those eggbeaters? Wasn't even on the quattro last time I heard...

That's a disadvantage if I've ever seen one...sorry guys- I know there's some fans around here, but those are some vague feeling pedals.

The lack of care about equipment is a little puzzling- a lot of guys here seem to embrace it despite riding really nice gear.

First hand, while in Philly last year, Bobby Julich said a lot of nice things about the Cervelo Soloist (Alu version). I know he's paid to endorse them, but it was a casual setting- mentioned it being superior to his Telekom Pinarello. Only 'complaint' was having to use Shimano.

saab2000
06-21-2006, 11:57 AM
First hand, while in Philly last year, Bobby Julich said a lot of nice things about the Cervelo Soloist (Alu version). I know he's paid to endorse them, but it was a casual setting- mentioned it being superior to his Telekom Pinarello. Only 'complaint' was having to use Shimano.

Pay more attention to what people buy, not what is given to them. He may well have liked it, but is hardly going to say a bad word about a sponsor.

catulle
06-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Edge? Randall's got the edge, atmo...

Keith A
06-21-2006, 04:26 PM
I think Ford has the Edge (http://media.ford.com/products/press_article_display.cfm?article_id=22286&vehicle_id=1369&make_id=92&CFID=30526162&CFTOKEN=577ed5a70702b0b7-F87A1A3E-1185-6A02-D8F7B5F548F931AC&jsessionid=8a30d3c1514b$94$7E$2)

http://media.ford.com/press_files/image_files/07FordEdgeCUV.jpg

The Spider
06-21-2006, 04:36 PM
how about the ones who can choose the equipment that they want? they have an advantage!

Jan has Lightweight, zipp, zentis, tune skewers, ax lightness, schmolke...

Ergott, your cynicism is magnificent! :)

pdxmech13
06-21-2006, 04:41 PM
U2 has The Edge

why they went past boy
they shouldve quite and
become morticians

cs124
06-22-2006, 05:38 AM
the one's who have the ***** that will kill them...

swoop
06-22-2006, 08:51 AM
this gives you the edge.

LukeUK
06-25-2006, 09:24 PM
All the pro bikes are light and fast. The only things I have hear are the Lampre Williers (are also ugly as hell) ride like touring bikes and the a Velo News arcticle said the Cervelo R3 is the lightest and stiffist in BB and rear triangle. But to me the CSC crew seems to have the most concern about equipment and all their kit is quite nice, Zipps, Speedplay, FSA, I have a R3 on my wishlist. :bike: