PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone driving a Volvo V60

awdwon
04-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Just curious if anyone is driving a V60 around here. Have seen some talk of them in other threads but wanted to hear some thoughts from drivers. I really miss my Legacy GT wagon and the V60 seems like it'll fill that void quite nicely. Hope to test drive a T5 and a T6 V60 next week.

Michael Maddox
04-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Yes, I have a 2015.5 V60 R-Design, the T6 with AWD and Polestar upgrades. I traded a VW TDI Sportwagen for it.

Quite frankly, I haven't been in LOVE with a car in years...they're mostly just transportation. Then, I got this Volvo. Quite simply, one of the best vehicles I've ever driven. It won't win many points for mileage, but it's faster than the RX-7 Turbo I owned in 1987, handles better than most things on the road, and has seats that are simply the best on the market.

Negatives:
The back seat and cargo area, while well-appointed, are a bit small. I think the rear end would benefit from a better sway bar, which I may eventually install. There's a bit of turbo-lag. The central instrument cluster is rather cluttered and stupid.

Positives:
Pretty much everything else.

awdwon
04-23-2016, 08:27 PM
That's kind of what I wanted to hear. I've read that the backseat is a little cramped but it'll be mostly occupied by little ones so not a huge concern. I'm driving an X3 now and have the same complaint about the cargo area, it's not a huge vehicle but pretty sad amount of cargo space, can barely fit a baby stroller back there and it's full with one hockey bag. I'll have to compare the two when I drive one this week but it probably can't be worse.

That centre instrument cluster is pretty strange but certainly not a deal breaker. Thanks for the review.

morrisericd
04-23-2016, 09:08 PM
We had a 2015 Drive E that Volvo bought back from us because of an oil consumption issue after 10,000 miles. We now have a 2015.5 T5 CC.

Thoughts: We really liked the Drive E. Great gas milage, very peppy and the best seats I've ever had in a car. The oil consumption issue was scary enough to us that we had them buy it back. We now have the T5 CC. It's a great car (same excellent seats) and I really like it. To me, the 8 speed on the Drive E is much more refined than the 6 speed on the T5. On the CC it seems like the car is either searching for a gear (regular mode) or jumping too fast (sport mode). The Drive E was much better. If the Drive E oil consumption issue has been fixed (they claimed it was a software issue and was fixed but I haven't been following it - check out Sweedspeed they're pretty good at staying up to date) then I'd buy that car again in a heartbeat. Otherwise the CC is a great car. I agree about the Sensus system - very clunky (why won't car companies just give up and let a software company build these things?), but the layout and interior of the car is very nice.

I think Volvo is headed on the right track. These V60's, S60's and the new V90's are really great stuff.

samsays
04-23-2016, 09:16 PM
We have a 2015 XC60 AWD T6...love it. Not the wagon but crossover SUV. Big fan of what Volvo is doing these days. Considering the new XC90.

Bruce K
04-24-2016, 03:54 AM
Love my 2015.5 V60 wagon

Comfortable and plenty of space to do what I want.

I have never been thrilled with the overall length of Volvo wagons (I've owned a bunch over the years) and that is mostly due to the length of the nose. I had an Audi All Road that was roomier and shorter.

But overall, I can't think of too many cars that are as easy to own and enjoyable to drive.

BK

velomonkey
04-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Had a XC70 wagon for 10 years and loved that car. Zero issues with it whatsoever and drove it to 175k - got rid of it only because the back seats were thrashed after rising two kids.

My wife has a XC90 - I don't really like that car, but her and the kids do.

My mom has a S60 which I've taken on a few trips. The back is cramped - the engine isn't all that strong.

As with all volvos the front seats are some of the best front seats anywhere. I have a BMW 530 and the seats aren't even remotely as comfy as the volvo seats. Volvo was behind on the electronics, but they have closed that gap since 2012 I think.

My next car will be either a XC70 or a S80 and I'll grab it used CPO.

mistermo
04-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Either a V60 or XC60 will be my next car. Wifey had an XC70, fantastic car. My dad has an XC60, also fantastic. I'm satisfied with my '05 TDI (5s manual) Passat wagon, but keep itching for one of these Volvos. Dealer calls me about once every month to continue to tempt me.

oldfatslow
04-24-2016, 10:19 AM
V60 owners, how about a picture of how you transport bikes?

Can you get one inside (is it only with the back seats down)?
Roof rack?
Anybody have a trailer hitch rack?

Pics please. The V60 is on my short list to replace my MB E350 4Matic Wagon (but it's a bigger car).

soulspinner
04-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Still work at a Volvo store and if anyone has questions ask. They really are the most comfortable seats to my back and the newer s an v series are very safe cars. Next gen gets the tablet and its all voice control, like the new XC 90 (including climate control). If you ask something I don't know now Im not back at work till Tuesday but I will help if I can then.

Bruce K
04-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Really old Thule roof rack

Can fit one inside with seats down

BK

gavingould
04-24-2016, 02:39 PM
My sister in law traded in their xc70 for a v60 cross country. Seems nice, definitely smaller. Seemed tighter than my VW Sportwagen, but this was a 5-minute ride so I didn't get much time to check it out. May be interested in a V90 for myself and the wife when those come.

FL_MarkD
04-24-2016, 02:57 PM
I have a 2016 V60 T5. Only about 1500 miles on it, but LOVE it. The R or Polestar would have been nice, but frankly coming from a Mazda CX-5 the standard car has good enough power.

I have a 54cm Serotta and a M-L Lynskey Sportive and they both fit in, laying mostly flat with both wheels on and seats down. It is tight, but it works.

Getting 27+ mpg with 90% around town driving. My wife, after driving it once, came home and spit on her Audi A4 :p

As said by others, the back seats are short on leg room. But I don't have many passengers so that is ok by me. The S60 Inscription model adds 3-4 inches of legroom. That would help in the V60.

Glad I made the decision.

Michael Maddox
04-24-2016, 03:39 PM
Really old Thule roof rack

Can fit one inside with seats down

BK

+1

Can stuff bikes in the back and in the back seat if really necessary, but I have a Thule roof rack, too. You WILL have to remove the wheels to get them inside.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Thule make the Volvo-branded roof racks?

velomonkey
04-24-2016, 04:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Thule make the Volvo-branded roof racks?

Correct.

palincss
04-24-2016, 04:00 PM
V60 owners, how about a picture of how you transport bikes?

Can you get one inside (is it only with the back seats down)?
Roof rack?

Certainly not with both wheels on. It's much too small inside for that. It's so small in back you can barely call it a wagon, it's more the size of a hatchback. Your Merc can swallow Leviathan, but the V60 can barely handle a bass.

572cv
04-24-2016, 04:33 PM
RE: fitting a bike inside. Not quite the same thing, but as a point of reference, I can fit a 56 cm frame (Serotta or Lynskey) into the trunk of an S40 T5 without having to lower the back seats. Have to take off the wheels. The nice thing is how stealth it is.... it doesn't look like a bike would fit in there.

The T5 I have is paired with a 6 speed, and has nice power for the little S40. There is turbo lag, but not much, and it spools up quickly. The handling is very good, and I have been pleased with the car over 5 years plus of ownership. The seats, as everyone says, are very good, but I was spoiled rotten by owning Citroen and Peugeot. While better than almost everyone else, Volvo didn't quite get into that rarefied territory.

velomonkey
04-24-2016, 04:38 PM
RE: fitting a bike inside. Not quite the same thing, but as a point of reference, I can fit a 56 cm frame (Serotta or Lynskey) into the trunk of an S40 T5 without having to lower the back seats. Have to take off the wheels. The nice thing is how stealth it is.... it doesn't look like a bike would fit in there.

On this note: I could fit my frames into the truck of my SAAB 95 (no having to put the seat down) - and I'm at 80cm seat height. It had to go in a certain way, but I could do it - put wheels in a wheel bag and you're good to go.

My BMW 530 I can't fit frame in there.

I travel with a bike almost always on a roof rack - only time I didn't was really long trips where I new I was good to keep it in the car. I'm a fan of roof racks.

Bruce K
04-24-2016, 05:59 PM
With back seat down, rear wheel stays on

But then again, I ride 52-54cm frames

:rolleyes:

BK

htwoopup
04-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Good and bad things....and I have a 2014 XC60 so may not be helpful except that the huge con and the it's okay pro are applicable.

As someone else said, Sensus is not good. I will say it is the absolute worst system of any vehicle I have owned....which is a lot of German, American, and a couple of Japanese.

Basically, if you ever need to use the built in gps to get you somewhere or if you need the gps to reroute you due to traffic buy any other car besides a Volvo...ANY other car.

As to fitting bikes...I have Thule's overpriced stuff on the roof for the kayaks, skis, canoe. But.....for the Volvo and bikes, go to UHaul and get a trailer hitch installed for cheaper and better than factory (but really dealer installed). Then go to 1upUSA and get a bike rack. I carry 4 bikes on a big ole 1up put into a 2 inch hitch receiver with no problems at all.

awdwon
04-29-2016, 05:26 AM
Went and test drove a t5 v60 and I'm sold, now I just need to find the one I'm looking for, would like a slightly used one to save a little on the sticker price. While the T5 is certainly very capable I can imagine the T6 would be a blast to drive.

Has anyone put a hitch on theirs? The dealer said the V60 XC had the option but not the standard V60.

oldpotatoe
04-29-2016, 06:10 AM
Just curious if anyone is driving a V60 around here. Have seen some talk of them in other threads but wanted to hear some thoughts from drivers. I really miss my Legacy GT wagon and the V60 seems like it'll fill that void quite nicely. Hope to test drive a T5 and a T6 V60 next week.

Yowser, not cheap are they? Always think of this ad when Volvo comes up.

soulspinner
04-29-2016, 06:41 AM
Went and test drove a t5 v60 and I'm sold, now I just need to find the one I'm looking for, would like a slightly used one to save a little on the sticker price. While the T5 is certainly very capable I can imagine the T6 would be a blast to drive.

Has anyone put a hitch on theirs? The dealer said the V60 XC had the option but not the standard V60.

At the Volvo dealership I work at we put some in loaner service and take them out at 5000 to 6000 miles (and sell them next to "new").Its a good move cause people drive them( loaners provided for any customer that makes an advance appointment) and we sell a few extra because of it. Ask every dealer you talk to if they do this, I know there is some incentive to do so from Volvo. I will ask if we have installed hitches on t5 v60s....

soulspinner
04-29-2016, 06:47 AM
Yowser, not cheap are they? Always think of this ad when Volvo comes up.

They are not cheap, but equally equipped cars from Merc, BMW,Audi,and even Lexus are more. Just tested at Motor Trend, the 2016 Lexus rx 350 sport is 59000. Our xc60 R design at 54000 is faster, corners better, has better seats and is safer than any car in its market. Welcome to the world of luxury cars, where four figure car payments don't seem to rattle buyers in this segment.

trentschler
04-29-2016, 07:24 AM
I have a 2014 S60 T5 - the sedan vs hatchback. Even so, I can fit a 55-56 cm bike in the trunk if I take the wheels off. I didn't know this until five minutes ago. I think I'd get the V60 next time. My wife has an older V70 wagon - it's a real wagon with lots of space in the rear. She wants to replace it with the XC70.

Volvos are really good value for the money. My car was $10,000 less than a comparable BMW 3-series.

I had a trailer hitch put on at my local U-Haul and I use a Thule T2 rack. It's easy to put on and take off. Pretty unobtrusive when folded up. I usually just leave it on if I can get out for regular rides.

Richard
04-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Awdwon...I don't know where you are located, but when I had my s60 in for service last week, Hudson Valley Volvo had a used one on the floor.

trener1
04-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Not a direct response to the V60, but I recently bought a used XC60 from a Volvo dealer asked them to install a hitch and the quoted me $1100, instead I took it to Uhaul and got in done for $260, just some food for thought.
BTW the T6 kicks ass :)

awdwon
04-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Awdwon...I don't know where you are located, but when I had my s60 in for service last week, Hudson Valley Volvo had a used one on the floor.

I'm in SW Ontario. Keeping a close eye on autotrader hoping for something to come up.

polyhistoric
04-29-2016, 12:51 PM
I have a 2015 v60 Drive E - I get 37 mpg on the highway in the Eco+ mode. I have been exceedingly happy - plus the back fits two mid-sized dogs comfortably,

What sucks - the interior control layout, no AWD (bad understeer). Coming off an Audi SQ5 and A3 6-cyl, its hard not to be underwhelmed. However, its NOT a performance car. The 8spd auto is quick to accelerate which makes the stoplight to stoplight drag sorta fun.

I had uhaul put a hitch on $250. Best decision ever. Many of these are coming off lease right now - prices on a used or executive lease make it hard to say no.

soulspinner
04-29-2016, 01:20 PM
I have a 2015 v60 Drive E - I get 37 mpg on the highway in the Eco+ mode. I have been exceedingly happy - plus the back fits two mid-sized dogs comfortably,

What sucks - the interior control layout, no AWD (bad understeer). Coming off an Audi SQ5 and A3 6-cyl, its hard not to be underwhelmed. However, its NOT a performance car. The 8spd auto is quick to accelerate which makes the stoplight to stoplight drag sorta fun.

I had uhaul put a hitch on $250. Best decision ever. Many of these are coming off lease right now - prices on a used or executive lease make it hard to say no.

Guess Im a bit defensive, but besides the nav screen its pretty nice inside and the seats are great. Next gen gets big tablets and voice control for even climate....

awdwon
05-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Thanks to the great reviews of some of you folks I picked up a 2015 V60 T6 yesterday. What a fantastic car. I'm pretty surprised at how large the car feels inside as it looks quite small. I'm 6'2" and fit very comfortably.

mkbk
05-27-2016, 08:04 PM
Congratulations! Our first Volvo ever is a V60 RD. 20k and two years later it just keeps getting better. The interior can be too stark and Spartan for some, but if you like how it looks you will love how comfortable it really is.

mistermo
05-28-2016, 06:07 AM
Thanks to the great reviews of some of you folks I picked up a 2015 V60 T6 yesterday. What a fantastic car. I'm pretty surprised at how large the car feels inside as it looks quite small. I'm 6'2" and fit very comfortably.

Did you get the AWD version or FWD? If it's the FWD, how bad is the understeer?

awdwon
05-28-2016, 06:23 AM
Got the AWD. Can't wait for the snow!

JasonF
05-28-2016, 07:19 AM
My daughter's 2013 S60 just went in for a service and excessive oil consumption. Turns out the engine is in bad shape (50k miles) and will need a piston job. Do a Google search of Volvo models affected by oil consumption. It's a $5k job that is thankfully still covered under warranty.

palincss
05-28-2016, 03:41 PM

Yes, but what about the bike?

dan_hudson
07-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Reviving this thread for a question. V60 actual mileage - any more comments?

I too am caught up in the 2.0 TDI bungle. Thinking about what is next and the V60 is on the list. Had a V40 before the A3 TDI that we liked. I ask about mileage as I've seen comment more then a few time in the professional auto press that the V60 EPA ratings are overly optimistic by a good bit.

FYI, we'd be looking at the most economical US model - T5 E drive.

Thanks for the additional info.

dbnm
07-06-2016, 08:29 PM
I have a 2013 XC70 T6 with the Polestar update. Serious fun when in sport mode.

It's not the best handling car but is a true pleasure on the highway and around town.

I love it.

mistermo
07-07-2016, 03:43 AM
My daughter's 2013 S60 just went in for a service and excessive oil consumption. Turns out the engine is in bad shape (50k miles) and will need a piston job. Do a Google search of Volvo models affected by oil consumption. It's a $5k job that is thankfully still covered under warranty.

Which engine? They make about 3-4 different S60 motors, it seems.

soulspinner
07-07-2016, 05:50 AM
Reviving this thread for a question. V60 actual mileage - any more comments?

I too am caught up in the 2.0 TDI bungle. Thinking about what is next and the V60 is on the list. Had a V40 before the A3 TDI that we liked. I ask about mileage as I've seen comment more then a few time in the professional auto press that the V60 EPA ratings are overly optimistic by a good bit.

FYI, we'd be looking at the most economical US model - T5 E drive.

Thanks for the additional info.

Real world is the EPA for highway....37 at 70mph. Around town the EPA figures are light if your foot is heavy, a common complaint across the board.

YoKev
10-29-2016, 06:06 AM
How's the V60's reliability to date?

I can't find anything negative per say on the internet, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks.

adamhell
10-29-2016, 12:22 PM
my baby sister just got a 2015 v60 for her 16th birthday. pretty much brand new. i remember how much of a "stretch" it was for me to get a $2500 '94 civic back in 2007. i had to save all my pennies. smh what can ya do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

malcolm
10-29-2016, 12:48 PM
2015 V60 R
25k miles and zero issues thus far except tires worn out and for P0s 25k isn't bad. Very comfortable and fun to drive. Space in rear is limited. Mileage combined 70/30 city/hwy about 20mpg. Hwy only if I recall correctly right at 30.

akelman
10-29-2016, 01:03 PM
I've got a V60. Let me know if you have particular questions. In the meantime, it seems like a nice car:

- it's pretty quiet at speed (depending on tires, obviously)
- it holds a line very well even when moving much faster than is legal
- it's reasonably quick at almost any speed (but you do have to push it)
- it doesn't corner as well as some in its comparison class but isn't bad
- it has famously comfy seats
- it has an annoying, counterintuitive electronics interface
- it's smaller inside than a car of its length should be
- it boasts nice aesthetics
- it's considerably cheaper than comparably equipped Audis and BMWs.

soulspinner
10-30-2016, 05:34 AM
2015 V60 R
25k miles and zero issues thus far except tires worn out and for P0s 25k isn't bad. Very comfortable and fun to drive. Space in rear is limited. Mileage combined 70/30 city/hwy about 20mpg. Hwy only if I recall correctly right at 30.

To get 25k from P zeros on awd vehicle is excellent.

malcolm
10-30-2016, 07:36 AM
To get 25k from P zeros on awd vehicle is excellent.

I agree and two still had some wear left but I think I went too long between rotations and the front were worn into the steel belting on the inboard edge.
All in all this is a really nice car.

polyhistoric
10-31-2016, 09:42 AM
Pretty much agree on all points. I've got about 1.5 years in a V60 Drive-E and the only "real" issue is that the FWD is not the greatest in snow. Prob need dedicated snow tires for the winter. Otherwise, happy with the car, reliability and Volvo's standard warranty service.

I've got a V60. Let me know if you have particular questions. In the meantime, it seems like a nice car:

- it's pretty quiet at speed (depending on tires, obviously)
- it holds a line very well even when moving much faster than is legal
- it's reasonably quick at almost any speed (but you do have to push it)
- it doesn't corner as well as some in its comparison class but isn't bad
- it has famously comfy seats
- it has an annoying, counterintuitive electronics interface
- it's smaller inside than a car of its length should be
- it boasts nice aesthetics
- it's considerably cheaper than comparably equipped Audis and BMWs.