PDA

View Full Version : OT: 2016 GTI Pricing?

IJWS
04-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Hey paceliners, I am looking at buying a GTI and a local dealership in Bedford, MA has the base model listed for $23, 185 "internet price" the MSRP is $26,685. I am wondering if they can go any lower than the dealership price. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. What would you offer (wwyo)?

Tickdoc
04-23-2016, 04:34 PM
Hey paceliners, I am looking at buying a GTI and a local dealership in Bedford, MA has the base model listed for $23, 185 "internet price" the MSRP is $26,685. I am wondering if they can go any lower than the dealership price. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. What would you offer (wwyo)?

I think they can, but I'm curious what our "dealer" members have to say. I'm guessing you could deal pretty heavily right now in just about any VW showroom right now.

What options are you looking at?

Tickdoc
04-23-2016, 04:36 PM
Fwiw, our local dealer has 9 in stock and all are listed at 1000 off list on web, and one 2015 at 5000 off.

FlashUNC
04-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Time to haggle.

What's the harm in emailing and asking?

downtube
04-23-2016, 05:01 PM
When you go in to the dealer have the price in your head of what you want to pay. Tell them to give you their best offer, if it isn't at least as good as your number ....walk. Something tells me you will never make it back to your car before they pitch you with a better offer. Remember you have the wallet, they have a lot less customers today and are paying flooring on every car on the lot. They need to keep things moving to stay in business. It's a Buyers market at VW. There is another dealer in the next town ....and they know it.

znfdl
04-23-2016, 05:30 PM
My local dealer (I have bought six cars (subie and VWs) from them) starts the negotiating at $500 below invoice.

IJWS
04-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will take a look next week on the last day of the month and see how it goes.

Tickdock, I am really just looking at the base GTI S Manual. I would love leather and a sunroof, but not for an additional $5,000.

Tickdoc
04-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will take a look next week on the last day of the month and see how it goes.

Tickdock, I am really just looking at the base GTI S Manual. I would love leather and a sunroof, but not for an additional $5,000.

Fwiw, the manual and plaid cloth is what it is all about. That is a harder one to find around these parts.

stephenmarklay
04-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Fwiw, the manual and plaid cloth is what it is all about. That is a harder one to find around these parts.

I had that one in 2010. It was a great car. Balanced power and handling with a refined ride. It looked a tad plain on the exterior but the interior with plaid was awesome.

pjm
04-23-2016, 06:55 PM
I just happened to be at a local VW dealership today. They had three Golf R's, and with all they've been through recently with the whole diesel-gate thing, they had the nerve to be asking $2000 above sticker! Damn nice car, though.

shovelhd
04-23-2016, 06:57 PM
I would grind them into sand.

carpediemracing
04-23-2016, 07:26 PM
I would grind them into sand.

heh +1

carpediemracing
04-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Hey paceliners, I am looking at buying a GTI and a local dealership in Bedford, MA has the base model listed for $23,185 "internet price" the MSRP is $26,685. I am wondering if they can go any lower than the dealership price. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. What would you offer (wwyo)?

For what it's worth I might have heard (ahem) that employee price at some other dealer might be 13% below MSRP, which is the highest number I've seen for a salesperson employee discount. Okay except some crazy lease special from a semi-exotic brand, but even the crazy price was a high actual number for most people. No idea how that relates to the Bedford dealership. That sale number is $30 lower than 13% off MSRP.

I put up some tips elsewhere for someone looking at a Honda. Did you read them?

I'm no fan of VW. We own a 2010 JSW (I think under 70k mi) and a 2011 Golf (40k mi?), both TDI. The diesel isn't the part that bugs me, it's the constant little things that are failing on these cars, plus a couple of the big things (one under warranty, one not).

Also, if you're really curious, I can ask where I know people who work at a VW place. They have a few in stock. None have sun/leather. It's 2 hours from Bedford. I make no promises on pricing but I can ask what's reality. I don't know how pricing works across states/districts/regions for VW.

Okay, I just Googled. There must be a dealer cash back of $3500 for your dealer as there are a few cars with a $3500 discount. To me that means there is substantial negotiating room. Substantial. The dealer, if they are getting cash back, makes full gross dollars at that price, meaning it's like selling the car at MSRP. If they are not getting cash back then they are cutting their prices to the bone. I'm curious if they're getting cash back because if they're not they're giving away those cars.

Find out what the conveyance fee is (dealer fee). If it's more than $400 then they're making some money there.

Climb01742
04-24-2016, 07:06 AM
I can't help you with any pricing info, but I'll share this: that Bedford store is where I bought my '09 GTI. It was a very straightforward process. I gave them my one number, they seemed to swallow hard a bit, then did the deal. I've had the car serviced there since and it's been a totally pain-free experience. They've treated me well and honestly. They aren't the most slick and up-to-date store. They're a bit of a throwback, but that's sorta what I like about them. Maybe it's just not my personality, but I'd suggest rather than grind them into sand maybe just have a firm number you'd feel comfortable with, offer it and see what happens, and walk if you're not feeling it. Don't know if you'd have it serviced there but you could do far worse (for example I've had BMW dealers treat me far worse on cars costing far more.) The Bedford store is not at the reptilian end of the car dealer spectrum. Be straight and respectful with them and I think you'll get that back. Just my experience. Good luck whatever you do.

majorpat
04-24-2016, 07:51 AM
Anyone use USAA car buying services? They spit out a price and a list of dealers who will accept it. Wonder if it is kosher to still haggle if you walk in with the USAA price or if that is the deal? Of course, there will be negotiating on what they will give you for your trade in, I imagine.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

soulspinner
04-24-2016, 07:55 AM
I can't help you with any pricing info, but I'll share this: that Bedford store is where I bought my '09 GTI. It was a very straightforward process. I gave them my one number, they seemed to swallow hard a bit, then did the deal. I've had the car serviced there since and it's been a totally pain-free experience. They've treated me well and honestly. They aren't the most slick and up-to-date store. They're a bit of a throwback, but that's sorta what I like about them. Maybe it's just not my personality, but I'd suggest rather than grind them into sand maybe just have a firm number you'd feel comfortable with, offer it and see what happens, and walk if you're not feeling it. Don't know if you'd have it serviced there but you could do far worse (for example I've had BMW dealers treat me far worse on cars costing far more.) The Bedford store is not at the reptilian end of the car dealer spectrum. Be straight and respectful with them and I think you'll get that back. Just my experience. Good luck whatever you do.

Having sold cars this way all those years ago, I am with Climb. Do research have a fair number(they have to make a little somewhere) and call then visit.

shovelhd
04-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Whatever you do, do it soon. When this TDI buyback hits in the fall, GTI prices are going to firm up. Supply is low enough as it is, and demand is going to increase.

old fat man
04-24-2016, 08:40 PM
Whatever you do, do it soon. When this TDI buyback hits in the fall, GTI prices are going to firm up. Supply is low enough as it is, and demand is going to increase.

When will they put all those 2016 TDI's back on the market? Fall as well? Modified of course to follow the emission rules this time.

shovelhd
04-24-2016, 09:45 PM
When will they put all those 2016 TDI's back on the market? Fall as well? Modified of course to follow the emission rules this time.

Nobody knows what they're going to do with them.

IJWS
04-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice.

I got an email from a dealer about an hour away from us offering for $25,500. This is with no haggling. That seems like a nice place to start from. It looks like doing something like this at the end of the month is not a bad idea. Sadly, this is where the story ends for now. My girlfriend and I have been planning to move to L.A. for a while now and we both have interviews next week. If something works out, we might do something really stupid like buy a new car and immediately put 3600 miles on it (who doesn't love a road trip?). Or we might try to be more reasonable about where we buy a car. Either way, I think the car buying saga will have to wait until the end of May to be continued. Fingers crossed that the prices stay the same for another month.

IJWS
05-21-2016, 07:59 PM
All, the above post was a typo. The e-mail price was for $22,500. We weren't ready to buy when we got the e-mail but this morning my GF and I went into Colonial VW and were able, after 2 hours, to get them to match the price from the other dealer but in the correct color. I'm pretty sure we could have gotten down to 21,500, but haggling was starting to take the excitement out of a new car and we were where we were comfortable with price-wise. Out of all the advice on offer, checking internet pricing first and being willing to walk away were the best strategies. If the stakes were a little higher I think we could have pushed more. Anyway, thanks again for the help. Paceline community wins again!

carpediemracing
05-21-2016, 09:06 PM
All, the above post was a typo. The e-mail price was for $22,500. We weren't ready to buy when we got the e-mail but this morning my GF and I went into Colonial VW and were able, after 2 hours, to get them to match the price from the other dealer but in the correct color. I'm pretty sure we could have gotten down to 21,500, but haggling was starting to take the excitement out of a new car and we were where we were comfortable with price-wise. Out of all the advice on offer, checking internet pricing first and being willing to walk away were the best strategies. If the stakes were a little higher I think we could have pushed more. Anyway, thanks again for the help. Paceline community wins again!

Nice!

eddief
05-21-2016, 09:10 PM
http://www.tflcar.com/2016/05/2016-vw-gti-vs-2010-gti-mk6-gti-vs-tuned-mk6-tfl-leaderboard-hot-or-not-ep-4-video/