PDA

View Full Version : The Dangers of N+1...

Lewis Moon
04-23-2016, 10:48 AM
I love my Serotta Atlanta. Since I got it late last year I've put 3500 miles on it. Comfortable, stiff enough, and I'm riding the best I've ridden in years.
I loved it so much I decided to put the X-Fire out to pasture and buy a road frame that took bigger tires as my everyday bike.
Enter the '99 Ritchey Road Logic. I spec'ed this as my commuter/adventure/gravel ride and built it out with parts from the old 'cross bike. It was supposed to be nothing special.
Then I rode it.
The Ritchey handles like a scalpel compared to the Atlanta. Geo comparison (Serotta = 60, Ritchey = 58)
http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/atlanta/atlanta_geometry.jpg
http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs/ritchey/1997/1997RitcheyBicycles.pdf

The Ritchey has a shorter wheelbase, 2cm shorter TT and 0.5cm shorter chainstays. The RL turns well inside the Atlanta, is easier initiate (longer stem) and is way comfortable...
My God, what have I done. I hate it when a bike becomes a garage queen. I'm gonna have to work on that.

thirdgenbird
04-23-2016, 11:05 AM
I feel you brother. My last two builds have been similar. I replaced a colnago with a singular osprey that was sized down. Despite longer chainstays and clearance for 35s, it handles very well. I then replaced my mountain bike with a yeti cross bike. The idea was to have something offroad capable that was enjoyable to ride to the trail. I enjoy riding offroad but I'm a roadie at heart. The top tube was verging on too short. Even with a 130mm stem, my reach is about 1cm less th my road bike. It was worth it however. The bike rides better on road than the larger cross frames I've tried and the bar position feels good on the trail.

The changes above put me at three bikes that felt like the perfect stable:
Vintage-ish road (admitted wall hanger due to sentimental value)
Fat tire road
Cross
I was completely content.

Then I got a great deal on some carbon wheels that didn't seem to fit how I use the above bikes so I bought a 4th frame. the bike isn't built and I'm already wondering if I went too far...

stephenmarklay
04-23-2016, 11:18 AM
I think you have to appreciate the attributes of bikes rather than comparing them directly. You Ritchey is smaller and more compact and for sure will feel sharper. Bit the longer Atlanta would likely soak up road imperfections and provide a sure foot stability on long rides.

I kind of went through that when years ago when I was really into buying audio gear. One speaker of tube amp may have great this or that but another would have some other attribute I loved.

There may not be one perfect ride and so by more not less :hello: