PDA

View Full Version : Campy Neutron Carbon?

TooManyBikes
04-23-2016, 09:07 AM
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about a set of wheels I have. I have always ridden Shimano, but I bought a bike with a pair of Campy Neutrons on it. I think they are 10 or so years old. They are 10 speed. They don't say Ultra anywhere on them. The hub shells on the front and rear are carbon.

Any Campy historians out there?

Are they good, medium or cheap wheels as Campy goes?

oldpotatoe
04-23-2016, 09:29 AM
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about a set of wheels I have. I have always ridden Shimano, but I bought a bike with a pair of Campy Neutrons on it. I think they are 10 or so years old. They are 10 speed. They don't say Ultra anywhere on them. The hub shells on the front and rear are carbon.

Any Campy historians out there?

Are they good, medium or cheap wheels as Campy goes?

Good wheels, Record type, aluminum axle hubs. From early 2000s..only 'issue' is finding replacement rims and/or spokes. Otherwise, mid-high end wheels. Hub innards have not changed, thru today(2016).

Gordito
04-23-2016, 09:51 AM
The carbon hub body was "taken" from the Hyperon and introduced the Eurus and Neutron "Carbon" serie in 2004 or 2005 IIRC.

Internals aren't different than high standard Record quality, before introduction of ceramics in "Ultra" series.

It saves some grams but at the hub body it doesn't mean much, it was an expensive "upgrade" that ends being more cosmetic/bling than anything else.

Neutrons are still excellent wheels, rim is a bit on the heavy side for wheels that were at the beginning considered as mountain wheelset.

A very trustful wheelset even with 10 year age. The only limit for mileage will be braking track wear. You could still rebuild a super nice wheelset around those pretty carbon hubs, although finding a rim with 22 holes will be challenging