PDA

View Full Version : Lisbon Portugal - Any cool shops

adampaiva
04-22-2016, 08:22 PM
On my way to Lisbon right now. I'm unfortunately not cycling while there because I'm injured, and don't need to buy a bike, but are there any neat shops worth checking out? Would be happy to pick up a shirt or cap etc. as a little souvenir.
I'll be in Lisbon, Vila Nova de Milfonte, and Sintra on the trip.

Maybe a long shot but figured I'd pose the question.

Obrigado!

feta99
04-22-2016, 09:40 PM
I miss the Pasteis de Nata. I would return to Portugal just for those tasty treats. Chique de Belem's version are considered the best but if you aren't in Belem then I would highly recommend the ones from Manteigaria Fabrica de Pasteis de Nata: https://www.facebook.com/manteigariacamoes

Cheers,
A

R3awak3n
04-22-2016, 09:49 PM
pasteis de nata are the best pastry in the world, hands down. The belem style is very good but I almost prefer the ones you can just get at any cafe. Also most of the pastries are incredible. Sintra is really cool, rich area but also amazing. You will probably go to the palace there which is incredible (some of the best views in the city), also good pastries in Sintra ahha, every region of Portugal has good food, it all is made with the same ingredients but all tastes different (and amazing).

As far as bike shops, I would love to help but was just there for 2 weeks and did not see a single decent bike shop, at the same time, I wasn't looking for one but I can ask my cousin, she might know.

Have fun in Portugal, you will I am sure. Hope the weather gets better, we got lucky in the week we were there but the following week was raining everyday according to my parents.

oh also, if you are in Lisbon check this place out:

http://www.lisbonwinery.com/

dunno if you are into wine, but amazing Portuguese wines, amazing Portuguese cheeses and meats. My cousin owns the place and I just went there for the first time and its really amazing.

Ah, we are talking about bikes, yeah I dunno bout bikes there, all I did was eat and drink. My wife, who is American, loved it and wants to go back ASAP. Next time I will definitely bring the bike though, not so much good ridding in the city but saw some great stuff outside Lisbon and I need to do a Portugal tour.

oldpotatoe
04-23-2016, 06:59 AM
On my way to Lisbon right now. I'm unfortunately not cycling while there because I'm injured, and don't need to buy a bike, but are there any neat shops worth checking out? Would be happy to pick up a shirt or cap etc. as a little souvenir.
I'll be in Lisbon, Vila Nova de Milfonte, and Sintra on the trip.

Maybe a long shot but figured I'd pose the question.

Obrigado!

Never been there but a place to start.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bicycle%20shops%20in%20lisbon%20portugal&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=38734949,-9146565,5329&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2&rlfi=hd:;si:

feta99
04-23-2016, 06:09 PM
We went to Portugal a couple years ago and it was one of the best trips we did as a family. The country is small, clean, people are very friendly and the food was great. It is also dirt cheap compared to Europe. I still remember one of our dinners for 30e for 2 adults + 4yo child and bottle of wine at a locals place. It was perfect. And the Pasteis de Nata are amazing.

R3awak3n
04-23-2016, 07:03 PM
We went to Portugal a couple years ago and it was one of the best trips we did as a family. The country is small, clean, people are very friendly and the food was great. It is also dirt cheap compared to Europe. I still remember one of our dinners for 30e for 2 adults + 4yo child and bottle of wine at a locals place. It was perfect. And the Pasteis de Nata are amazing.

:) well thank you!

Portugal is under rated which to be honest, is actually better in some ways... does keep the country more authentic. I always see my friends going to Spain or Greece which are awesome places as well but I keep saying, go to Portugal. I know that its becoming "the place" to go in Europe though, at least for other Europeans.

Food is amazing for sure, we ate VERY well. Of course my mom did cook a lot as well, she makes the best Portuguese food so no reason to go out when her stuff is better than most if not all restaurants.

Still, we ate at this place outside Lisbon, I don't recommend it to people because its too out of the way/only locals go there but the food was incredible and we paid 40 something euros for 4 people, we had wine and desert.
We had Octopus (Polvo a lagareiro) and there was so much of it that in the US that plate would have cost $80, no joke

adampaiva
05-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Never been there but a place to start.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bicycle%20shops%20in%20lisbon%20portugal&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=38734949,-9146565,5329&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2&rlfi=hd:;si:

Thanks for all the help.

adampaiva
05-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Did not find any special bike shops, though I did not try particularly hard as I didn't want to spend time unless I knew I would find something really interesting.

But Portugal is a beautiful country and as several have said, it's surprisingly affordable and still great food, drinks, accommodations.
Lisboa was gorgeous and fun but would be a nightmare by bicycle and I can count the number of bicyclists I saw over the course of a week on one hand.

The Alantejo coast south of Lisbon was really gorgeous and felt like an untapped undiscovered place, at least when I was there in the shoulder season. It would make a great cycling holiday destination or tour and I saw several people out on fully loaded touring bikes. I was jealous. Will definitely keep it on my list to return to with my bike.

pics if any one interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adampaiva/albums/72157667539644575

livingminimal
05-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Love Lisbon. Maybe my favorite city I've visited. Dream of going back often.

Pasties de belem...gotta have the original at least once.

Make sure you get a pika and a picture with Pessoa at cafe A brasilia.

Go find a pace in the Baixa to eat and listen to real Fado.

Man, jealous and happy for you. Have a great time.

edit: ****. you're already back. glad it was so great for you.

jemoryl
05-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Did not find any special bike shops, though I did not try particularly hard as I didn't want to spend time unless I knew I would find something really interesting.

But Portugal is a beautiful country and as several have said, it's surprisingly affordable and still great food, drinks, accommodations.
Lisboa was gorgeous and fun but would be a nightmare by bicycle and I can count the number of bicyclists I saw over the course of a week on one hand.

The Alantejo coast south of Lisbon was really gorgeous and felt like an untapped undiscovered place, at least when I was there in the shoulder season. It would make a great cycling holiday destination or tour and I saw several people out on fully loaded touring bikes. I was jealous. Will definitely keep it on my list to return to with my bike.

Thanks for posting your photos, they brought back some nice memories. Your impressions about the bike scene pretty much mirror mine. On my first visit I brought a helmet, pedals, shoes, etc. thinking I might rent a bike, but they went untouched. Next time you might check out the north: Porto, the Douro wine regions, Serra da Estrella mountains, Geres, the Minho, etc. I did see the occasional bunch of roadies hammering up some backroads in the hills. It is a great place to visit.

Fiertetimestwo
05-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Great photos- looks like the trip was wonderful. Thanks for brightening up an otherwise dull morning.

livingminimal
05-07-2016, 08:05 PM
Just got to go through the pics.
Ahhhh...killing me. Happy someone else got to experience the magic of that town.
Miss the yellow tram and the plaza. I spent hours skateboarding and drinking beer right there with friends. Our flat was about a block away up that main pedestrian only city.
so good!!

oldpotatoe
05-08-2016, 06:46 AM

Ya bring back a puppy??

Been there long ago(like in 1962-3) but remember it being a friendly, happy place(was living in the Azores at the time..Dad in USAF, also a really nice place).

adampaiva
05-08-2016, 09:31 PM
We very much wanted to bring back that little pup (named Nilo)! but then who would look after the lighthouse ?

glad you guys liked the photos. Really is a photogenic place so it made it easy for me.

So, if anyone is in need of a vacation destination, I'd very much recommend Portugal.

holliscx
05-09-2016, 02:29 AM
Two summers ago, I rode my bike from Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon, an epic route riding the Portuguese Camino in reverse, 650km in 3 days. Portugal was littered with cobblestones which pounded my hands after such aggressive days aboard a lethargic Surly with rigid fork.

I rode directly to the airport following signs to "Terminal" walking into the arrivals area totally exhausted. We rented an Airbnb near the Barrio Alto. My family who flew separately took a taxi; I rode to the apartment accidentally taking the most direct road from the center which connects Baixa, or downtown Lisbon, with the Barrio Alto. I confirmed I was going the right way with two taxi drivers who shook their heads in disbelief as I turned to climb the steepest street in Lisbon (265m @ 17%) known as the Ascensor da Glória which features its own cable car.

What a great punctuation mark after pedaling from Spain. My legs were completely beat and when I got to the top of the street panting, a crowd of tourists broke out into applause for I was the only pedestrian who had arrived under his own power.

During our week, I learned about a historic hill climb race held on the same street every fall which I would love to do:

http://www.subidagloria.com

Nags&Ducs
05-09-2016, 05:43 AM
Great pics! I know it's OBE, but I bought my Brompton from a shop in Lisbon, though I can't recall the name of the shop. It was your typical nice shop, but certainly no Vecchio's or Cicli Berlinetta.

Portugal is amazingly affordable, and needless to say beautiful. I need to go back.