PDA

View Full Version : Info on DEAN titanium quill stem?

paredown
04-22-2016, 01:05 PM
I picked up a DEAN titanium quill stem on the 'Bay.

It was a bit of a joke since my first name is Dean. I tried it on a build but it didn't look that great...

I may try it again, but I wondered if anyone knows if DEAN made these or were they made by someone else?

eippo1
04-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Can't say definitively, but I can't imagine they would not have welded it themselves. Not the first I've seen and I know they were doing seatposts ages ago. They still do their own, but threadless now.

http://www.deanbikes.com/stem.html

oldpotatoe
04-23-2016, 06:29 AM
I picked up a DEAN titanium quill stem on the 'Bay.

It was a bit of a joke since my first name is Dean. I tried it on a build but it didn't look that great...

I may try it again, but I wondered if anyone knows if DEAN made these or were they made by someone else?

Quill and that decal is of the era where 'Dean' made decals is all..made somewhere else, not sure where.

tuscanyswe
04-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Can't say definitively, but I can't imagine they would not have welded it themselves. Not the first I've seen and I know they were doing seatposts ages ago. They still do their own, but threadless now.

http://www.deanbikes.com/stem.html

Those are made by their asian partner i believe. I do however believe the older stems like quill were made by dean themselves but i dont know that for sure.

pbarry
04-23-2016, 07:55 AM
Sandvik built some of their older Ti parts and frames, iirc.

R3awak3n
04-23-2016, 08:20 AM
I sold one of these on ebay once, I think I remember doing a little research on it and it being built by litespeed?

edit: funny, looking back at the picture, thats my picture and that is the one I sold lol

sonnyhooper
04-23-2016, 08:33 AM
Sleek design. It looks great.

SH

oliver1850
04-23-2016, 12:56 PM
My 1994 Bike Pro catalog says they were made by Clark Kent. $229 retail.

paredown
04-23-2016, 04:10 PM
I sold one of these on ebay once, I think I remember doing a little research on it and it being built by litespeed?

edit: funny, looking back at the picture, thats my picture and that is the one I sold lol

Oops--internet piracy is rife! (Couldn't dig mine out easily so snagged a photo from somewhere...) Thanks for the usage!:banana:

R3awak3n
04-23-2016, 05:26 PM
Oops--internet piracy is rife! (Couldn't dig mine out easily so snagged a photo from somewhere...) Thanks for the usage!:banana:

:D if I remember correctly it actually sold for a good deal, glad it went to a good home :) would love to see it on the bike (I assume also a dean?)

Mr_Gimby
04-23-2016, 11:11 PM
:D if I remember correctly it actually sold for a good deal, glad it went to a good home :) would love to see it on the bike (I assume also a dean?)

He didn't actually buy your stem, just used your photo.