PDA

View Full Version : Selle Anatomica does anything touch it for comfort?

stephenmarklay
04-22-2016, 07:22 AM
I have an incoming bike:hello: and I am wondering when I get out of my financial hole for biking it if there is anything else I should consider?

I like them so much I put them even on racey bikes.

I had a prolog which was pretty good but not at the same level.

R3awak3n
04-22-2016, 07:28 AM
I can think of 2 saddles I find way more comfortable than my old anatomica.

Berthoud.

Specialized power.

Different styles for different bikes. I am starting to think that the Power is the most comfortable saddle ever though but the berthoud seems better for longer rides (50 miles +)

The anatomica was ok, never really loved it though so ymmv

oldpotatoe
04-22-2016, 07:28 AM
I have an incoming bike:hello: and I am wondering when I get out of my financial hole for biking it if there is anything else I should consider?

I like them so much I put them even on racey bikes.

I had a prolog which was pretty good but not at the same level.

Hard to say since everybody's bum is different. Seems like ya ought to continue to 'like' 'em.

BTW-I use SMP Glider..works well for me.

bobswire
04-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Hard to say since everybody's bum is different. Seems like ya ought to continue to 'like' 'em.

Bums have a mind of there own. SMP, yuk, I could never make work for me,too rounded. Some Brooks narrow saddles work for me like swallow or swift but non narrow B-17s are a brick though I've cut them to work much like Selle Anatomica's. Best vintage style for my bum are Girardi Regals.

AngryScientist
04-22-2016, 09:46 AM
didnt they have a carbon saddle in the works?

Scooper
04-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Bums have a mind of there own. SMP, yuk, I could never make work for me,too rounded. Some Brooks narrow saddles work for me like swallow or swift but non narrow B-17s are a brick though I've cut them to work much like Selle Anatomica's. Best vintage style for my bum are Girardi Regals.

The range of Selle SMP models offers so many options from plush padded to rock hard plain CF, and from nearly flat to pronounced rolloff that it's hard for me to understand how anyone would have trouble selecting one that fits perfectly.

The Glider and the Pro both work great for me, but I understand YMMV.

stephenmarklay
04-22-2016, 10:54 AM

Yeah I know. It would be great to find the level of comfort but weigh a pound less :D

stephenmarklay
04-22-2016, 10:56 AM
I can think of 2 saddles I find way more comfortable than my old anatomica.

Berthoud.

Specialized power.

Different styles for different bikes. I am starting to think that the Power is the most comfortable saddle ever though but the berthoud seems better for longer rides (50 miles +)

The anatomica was ok, never really loved it though so ymmv

Two saddles I have been interested in. On this bike the Berthoud would be great. I need to try one.

Hilltopperny
04-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Two saddles I have been interested in. On this bike the Berthoud would be great. I need to try one.

I have a galibier and it is a nice comfy saddle. I have used it for 3 decent rides and it seems pretty nice. I put a brooks c13 on my carbon bike and it's fantastic. I have just about every style of brooks and am a fan of their saddles. I also have a c17 carved and that was super comfy.

MikeD
04-22-2016, 11:40 AM
I have a SA saddle. I'm going to try it again. It's great in the sit bones area, but I find the edges of the wide slot irritates the scrotum. At this point, I like my WTB Pure V saddle better. It's also lighter, doesn't creak, and doesn't feel so hard/uncomfortable when I move to the back of the saddle and sit near that hard metal support, and it's more comfortable when I roll my hips forward when I'm on the hoods or drops, and the nose doesn't grab my shorts. My SA saddle was set up with a slight nose up tilt, as recommended. I'd say that the SA was the second best saddle I've found.

adamhell
04-22-2016, 11:46 AM
didnt they have a carbon saddle in the works?

yeah i held it at nahbs. very cool though i don't know what kind of bike i would put it on. it has the shape of the classic leather saddles (ew) but it's made of carbon.

oldpotatoe
04-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Yeah I know. It would be great to find the level of comfort but weigh a pound less :D

Wow the SMP glider would be minus 184 grams, lighter than air.

I know what ya mean but don't compromise comfort for weight for the places that touch the bike, handlebar shape, pedal and most important, yer butt.

adamhell
04-22-2016, 11:49 AM
https://selleanatomica.com/products/comfy-carbon-with-leaf-spring-damping-crowdfund

stephenmarklay
04-22-2016, 12:39 PM
I have a SA saddle. I'm going to try it again. It's great in the sit bones area, but I find the edges of the wide slot irritates the scrotum. At this point, I like my WTB Pure V saddle better. It's also lighter, doesn't creak, and doesn't feel so hard/uncomfortable when I move to the back of the saddle and sit near that hard metal support, and it's more comfortable when I roll my hips forward when I'm on the hoods or drops, and the nose doesn't grab my shorts. My SA saddle was set up with a slight nose up tilt, as recommended. I'd say that the SA was the second best saddle I've found.

Yeah I have not tried the cutout. I just get the X or whatever it is. I have one on my mountain bike and my commuter now. I have done 30+ miles with just regular shorts. I would never attempt that with most other saddles.

stephenmarklay
04-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Wow the SMP glider would be minus 184 grams, lighter than air.

I know what ya mean but don't compromise comfort for weight for the places that touch the bike, handlebar shape, pedal and most important, yer butt.

For sure and that is why I am riding them.

alexstar
04-22-2016, 01:07 PM
check out Rivet Cycle Works saddles. Great saddles, everything that Selle Anatomica should be. Run by Debra Banks, talented cyclist and exceedingly nice person.

http://rivetcycleworks.com/

R3awak3n
04-22-2016, 06:37 PM
check out Rivet Cycle Works saddles. Great saddles, everything that Selle Anatomica should be. Run by Debra Banks, talented cyclist and exceedingly nice person.

Not sure about everything anatomica should be, aren't they made in China?

dave thompson
04-22-2016, 06:46 PM

IIRC Ms Banks was the co-developer and significant other of the originator of the Sella Anatomica and when he died the rights to the SA were obtained by the current owners. Ms Banks went on to form the Rivet company.

I've got both a Selle Anatomica and a Rivet. I much prefer the Rivet, not do much the SA.

stephenmarklay
04-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Not sure about everything anatomica should be, aren't they made in China?

I was unsure of that comment also. I can’t take anything away form my dealings with them.

R3awak3n
04-22-2016, 06:58 PM
IIRC Ms Banks was the co-developer and significant other of the originator of the Sella Anatomica and when he died the rights to the SA were obtained by the current owners. Ms Banks went on to form the Rivet company.

I've got both a Selle Anatomica and a Rivet. I much prefer the Rivet, not do much the SA.

hmmm, I think rivet existed long before the originator of SA died. I could be wrong though.

to clarify, I have nothing against rivet. I am sure they are great saddles but I do think its worth giving SA a nod for making their saddles in the USA and still being able to be cheaper than Rivet. I guess rivet does get the leather from the USA and then sends it to Taiwan to be assembled. That is a bit strange to me but it is what it is.

my comment was regarding Rivet being what SA should be. SA is a pretty good company, I dealt with them a few times and excellent. That and keeping production here. Also their last promotion was pretty great, saddles for $99.

MikeD
04-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Yeah I have not tried the cutout. I just get the X or whatever it is. I have one on my mountain bike and my commuter now. I have done 30+ miles with just regular shorts. I would never attempt that with most other saddles.

I swapped one without the cutout for one with. I was on a bike tour with the solid one, and got sit bone issues on a day that had a lot of climbing. I swapped it the next day with the WTB saddle that I brought along, and was fine the rest of the tour. The cutout seems to help in the sit bone area, but trades that with ball chafing; at least for me. I spoke with someone on a ride yesterday that has a cutout SA, and he says it's the most comfortable saddle he's ever used; other people too. I guess everyone is different. One person's comfortable saddle can be another person's medieval torture device, so to speak. YMMV

stephenmarklay
04-22-2016, 09:21 PM
I swapped one without the cutout for one with. I was on a bike tour with the solid one, and got sit bone issues on a day that had a lot of climbing. I swapped it the next day with the WTB saddle that I brought along, and was fine the rest of the tour. The cutout seems to help in the sit bone area, but trades that with ball chafing; at least for me. I spoke with someone on a ride yesterday that has a cutout SA, and he says it's the most comfortable saddle he's ever used; other people too. I guess everyone is different. One person's comfortable saddle can be another person's medieval torture device, so to speak. YMMV

Well Mike you might just have big balls :)

MikeD
04-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Well Mike you might just have big **** :)

This guy had a similar problem http://www.randorichard.com/hints-helps/saddles. Never thought I'd need chamois lube in that area... But enough of this discussion. I think the point has been made.

Drmojo
04-23-2016, 07:49 PM

far superior to SA, brooks
plus Ms Banks is a good pal!

stephenmarklay
04-23-2016, 07:53 PM
This guy had a similar problem http://www.randorichard.com/hints-helps/saddles. Never thought I'd need chamois lube in that area... But enough of this discussion. I think the point has been made.

I was just giving you a hard time :) I read that blog some time ago and really liked all the input on it. I did shy away from the cutout for this reason too.

stephenmarklay
04-23-2016, 07:53 PM
far superior to SA, brooks
plus Ms Banks is a good pal!

It certainly look like a really nice product.

Ralph
04-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Of the regular group I ride with.....probably 7-8 were on SA's last year. Now....hardly anyone is. Most went to the Specialized Power....one a 143, and others either a 155 or 168 width, the rest to various other saddles. Main complaint was they don't last very long. Constantly sagging, rivets rip out, on one older version the rails bent (admittedly an older version....and SA replaced quickly), etc. Customer service is excellent.

I stopped riding them because they just didn't fit me well.....just a tad too wide. Extremely UNcomfortable. The leather edge just before the first rivet just kept digging into me. No way to adjust that away. Happy you like yours.

stephenmarklay
04-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Of the regular group I ride with.....probably 7-8 were on SA's last year. Now....hardly anyone is. Most went to the Specialized Power....one a 143, and others either a 155 or 168 width, the rest to various other saddles. Main complaint was they don't last very long. Constantly sagging, rivets rip out, on one older version the rails bent (admittedly an older version....and SA replaced quickly), etc. Customer service is excellent.

I stopped riding them because they just didn't fit me well.....just a tad too wide. Extremely UNcomfortable. The leather edge just before the first rivet just kept digging into me. No way to adjust that away. Happy you like yours.

I am going to have to try a specialized power. My LBS will let me test one.

R3awak3n
04-23-2016, 08:43 PM
You really should, the power is amazing. Of course doesnt work for everyone but so many people like them, they gotta be doing something right

Ralph
04-23-2016, 09:03 PM
I'm for sure not on Specialized payroll. But I do like mine (both). Believe they have a sale going on now. Just biught a Comp for $75. A friend just an Expert for about $100....and with a 10% local club discount....price is reasonable. Because of their design......many folks are able to go one size wider on the Power than they expected....for a bigger platform. Some not. I was able to go up to a 155.

As usual set up is everything. Set nose area level to begin with. Not all butts same, etc.