PDA

View Full Version : ideas for taller stems?

Ken Robb
06-20-2006, 08:11 PM
So I have this 58cm CSI and some experts would say it's my size. My sore neck says it's too small becaquse I need higher bars. I have a 90 degree 10cm on it (Quill). I have 10 and 12 cm Nitto Technomic DeLuxe in my stash box. They have taller shafts but are classic -17 designs so I don't think I can gain anything in height that way. A 12 or 13cm 90 degree would help but a +10 degree would really do it. Has anybody ever seen such a thing?

Maybe an old mtn. bike item but it would be for the smaller diameter mtn. bars. Help!

Big Dan
06-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Ken , Salsa had some quills with 105 degrees.... :cool:

Fat Robert
06-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Technomics should go up high enough to get your bars even with the saddle -- go with that option first

dave thompson
06-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Ken: I have a Nitto lugged quill stem, 12CM, with a long shaft that could raise your bars up to where they are needed. The deal is the stem is attached to a Saluki that is just your size. Package deal. Brilliant!

eddief
06-20-2006, 08:54 PM
if you love the bike, get you and it a new custom stem. Sounds to me, based on your other bikes and your body, this bike is too small for your size and preferred riding style. Quit trying to fit your square peg in this round hole...so to speak. Why not a taller Technomic? Will it look dorky?

Kevan
06-20-2006, 09:27 PM
http://www.radford.edu/~wkovarik/misc/blog/easyrider.jpeg

If not at least go with the gold helmet. It's so you...

H1449-6
06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
As mentioned before, Salsa had some rise road stems (may be hard to find; try ebay).

You can also get a quill insert for your steer tube that takes a clamp-on stem. This should give you many more options.

I have a Technomic on our tandem. It's out about 3.5-4 inches and is fairly squirrely if you crank on the bar at all. Beware.

onekgguy
06-20-2006, 10:02 PM
I began tweaking my seat height to compensate for some soreness in my knees. The soreness improved but I needed to find a taller stem to get the bars where I needed them. All the while my bike's handling was deteriorating as the center of gravity was raised. This past week I had my seat and bars readjusted to their original specs and I feel so much better on it. My initial problem wasn't so much a saddle which was too low but instead, over-use injury from too much riding.

A taller stem may allow you a more comfortable position on your bike but it could be that your frame may not work at all with the taller stem and that you'll need an entirely new setup.

Kevin