PDA

View Full Version : kids bike sizing

d_douglas
04-21-2016, 11:48 PM
I am planning to buy my daughter a 'proper' bike with a few gears and hand brakes. She is a tall 6yr old (think 7yr old) and now loves riding, but the bike isn't cutting it.

I think it has 16" wheels. I assume the next step up is 20" wheels, but after that, is it 24"? That is too big, right? Stick with 20"

I would love to get one that is lightish and without a crap suspension fork (which seems impossible to find), so any thoughts on a cool little ride? Colour neutral is good, as I have a 4yr old boy who will most likely inherit it not long afterwards. Oh wait, scratch that, he was wearing his sister's underwear tonight before bed :)/

AllanVarcoe
04-21-2016, 11:55 PM
http://www.konaworld.com/shred_20.cfm

The Haro comes in ketchup/mustard color scheme with a hamburger bun seat!
https://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/kids/flightline-20-2015

pdmtong
04-22-2016, 12:02 AM
stick with 20". even if it only has a short usage period.

more important than saving money is the kid has the right size at the right time.

repeat: right size at the right time.

proper fit leads to confidence, and potentially a lifetime of love for the sport.

I've said it before. my daughter (now 16) has has 16 bikes to date. craigslist all.

Has mad road, single track, cx and DH skills. won a few junior cx races. can rip the same easier double black DH at lift assisted Northstar that I can.

Forget the color. rattlecan for your son.

make it happen and you will have the best riding partner you can imagine.

radsmd
04-22-2016, 12:03 AM
Fits all your needs.

http://www.islabikes.com

Very popular in the UK, but they have a US branch based in Portland Oregon.

My 9 year old is riding the beinn 26 and really enjoying it.

cadence90
04-22-2016, 12:06 AM
Sorry, d-doug: unfortunately no kids = no kid bike advice, but jeezus those things that AV just posted are sure a long way from my old-whatever-it-was-3speed. Wow....

My friends and I would re-paint our frames, usually twice a year. I bet your boy would enjoy that. Then, we moved to America, and "banana seats" + "sissy-bars" were the coolest one could be. Suspension, discs, 6-speed...whaaaa? :confused:

Oh, we also had cards in the spokes, and those streamer things coming out of the handlebars.
pdmtong's were no doubt silver and black only. :(

Forget the color. rattlecan for your son.
+1.
Blue/purple and gold. Or Dodger blue and white. No silver and black.

AllanVarcoe
04-22-2016, 12:13 AM
Sorry, d-doug: unfortunately no kids = no kid bike advice, but jeezus those things that AV just posted are sure a long way from my old-whatever-it-was-3speed. Wow....

My friends and I would re-paint our frames, usually twice a year. I bet your boy would enjoy that. Then, we moved to America, and "banana seats" + "sissy-bars" were the coolest one could be. Suspension, discs, 6-speed...whaaaa? :confused:

Oh, we also had cards in the spokes, and those streamer things coming out of the handlebars.
pdmtong's were no doubt black and silver only. :(

+1.
Blue/purple and gold. Or Dodger blue and white. No silver and black.

For real! I got my son (tall 7 year old) an 18" Mirraco BMX bike and it's got all the features and proper geometry of my 20" BMX bike! Kids bikes even just a few years ago still had wonky ass geometry and 4" ovalized downtubes that weighed 35lbs!

etu
04-22-2016, 12:21 AM
islabike
my 7 year old has been riding his benin 20 for the past year
light, no suspension, nice gearing and great brakes

d_douglas
04-22-2016, 12:25 AM
Ive never heard of Islabikes, but they look very nice. I wish I could find one used. Pinkbike had one, but it is sold now.

What about a BMX bike? gears aren't essential - in fact, might be a distraction. What I really want is two handbrakes. She is using her feet as brakes these days and I am trying to reinforce that you can't drag your feet on the ground when riding in traffic!

cadence90
04-22-2016, 12:52 AM
Ive never heard of Islabikes, but they look very nice. I wish I could find one used. Pinkbike had one, but it is sold now.
I had never heard of them either, and they do look great, but I sure was not prepared to see new kid bike prices at those levels, for 1-2 years max. :eek:

There must be some kind of turn-over market for these things, no?
Local/near Craigslist, etc?

Only one has been listed on eBay recently. Used, sold for $330.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Islabike-Beinn-20-Large-Red-/201549724647?hash=item2eed4cbbe7%3Ag%3AyNQAAOSwzvl W9zVg&nma=true&si=OURrNmJsOB5%252FnwNjgrRmxs6EQFA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

ofcounsel
04-22-2016, 01:23 AM

What about a BMX bike? gears aren't essential - in fact, might be a distraction. What I really want is two handbrakes. She is using her feet as brakes these days and I am trying to reinforce that you can't drag your feet on the ground when riding in traffic!

If you have relatively flat riding areas, then a BMX Race bike might work. They come in various sizes (micro, mini, junior, expert, XL, XXL, XXL). A "Junior" BMX race bike like the Redline MX Junior is a good fit for 7-10 year olds and weighs about 15 pounds. My son races on one. http://redlinebicycles.com/bikes/2016-mx-junior/

Just bear in mind: (1) 1 1/8 inch width tires that come with Junior BMX race bikes are not great for loose dirt or grass, (2) you'll have to mount a front brake, as BMX race bikes don't come with front brakes (3) The seats are hard.

Another lightweight bike with gearing is the Trek SuperFly 20".

CNY rider
04-22-2016, 05:21 AM
We have 3 girls.
Two on Islabikes which we are very happy with.
One on the 20 inch Specialized with no suspension. It has hand brakes, gears. Very happy with that bike as well and it cost less than the Islabikes.

stephenmarklay
04-22-2016, 05:49 PM
I am planning to buy my daughter a 'proper' bike with a few gears and hand brakes. She is a tall 6yr old (think 7yr old) and now loves riding, but the bike isn't cutting it.

I think it has 16" wheels. I assume the next step up is 20" wheels, but after that, is it 24"? That is too big, right? Stick with 20"

I would love to get one that is lightish and without a crap suspension fork (which seems impossible to find), so any thoughts on a cool little ride? Colour neutral is good, as I have a 4yr old boy who will most likely inherit it not long afterwards. Oh wait, scratch that, he was wearing his sister's underwear tonight before bed :)/

My seven year old son is on 20” and he is going to get his sisters 24” this summer. My Daughter is 10 and just a hair under 5 feet and she can stand over a woman 15-16” with about a 28.5 inseam.

stephenmarklay
04-22-2016, 05:52 PM

My son rides a specialized BMX style with a coaster brake and a V-brake in the rear. Kids love to skid so it works out awesome.