PDA

View Full Version : GXP Bottom Bracket NDS Bearing Shield

ColonelJLloyd
04-21-2016, 10:04 AM
I think that's what it's called. I have a slightly used GXP BB on which I'm attempting to mount a Truvativ XX 10s crank. Seems I'm missing the black bearing shield in the photo. Is this an imperative piece? Is it available as a replacement piece?

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1486/25954670424_4f8ddc18a2_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FxwtgE)

crashnburn
04-21-2016, 10:54 AM
I had exactly the same issue this morning.
But I went through my parts bin and found a CK spring washer.

A wavy washer will work too.

ColonelJLloyd
04-21-2016, 10:58 AM
It doesn't call for a wave washer, though, right? Why is it so hard to find these available separately?

chiasticon
04-21-2016, 11:06 AM
I would recommend using it. it's a shield to protect crap from getting into your bearing, basically. I think you can ride without it but it's certainly not preferred and you'll likely wear your bearings faster.

not sure why they don't sell them separately. it's not really something that people need to replace very often though, unless replacing the whole BB.

your LBS might have one sitting around though.

ColonelJLloyd
04-21-2016, 11:08 AM
I checked and, unfortunately, no. I can check a couple others, but I just want to ride. If the crank can be installed without it I'll go that route. I just replace the BB when the time comes or install a washer when I find one. Thanks!

I would recommend using it. it's a shield to protect crap from getting into your bearing, basically. I think you can ride without it but it's certainly not preferred and you'll likely wear your bearings faster.

not sure why they don't sell them separately. it's not really something that people need to replace very often though, unless replacing the whole BB.

your LBS might have one sitting around though.

chiasticon
04-21-2016, 12:56 PM
I checked and, unfortunately, no. I can check a couple others, but I just want to ride. If the crank can be installed without it I'll go that route. I just replace the BB when the time comes or install a washer when I find one. Thanks!a gxp BB isn't that expensive. if it's a bike you plan on riding a good bit, you could always buy another BB and use the shield from it. then reuse it when you change BB's.

ColonelJLloyd
04-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Yeah, probably what I'll do.

a gxp BB isn't that expensive. if it's a bike you plan on riding a good bit, you could always buy another BB and use the shield from it. then reuse it when you change BB's.