PDA

View Full Version : Wide road tires (Compass?)

deechee
04-21-2016, 09:36 AM
So I get the feeling people here enjoy their Compass tires, but I'm overwhelmed by the choices in 32/35/38. Can anyone tell me their experiences with them? My commute is mostly paved, although I'll occasionally hit some light gravel or dirt for fun. I'm still using road shoes, so I won't get into anything super muddy.

My experience with going from road 23 to 25/28 and/or wider rims was that it really wasn't much of a difference. When I tried some HED3 rims, I ended up using the same pressure as on regular rims as they felt slow otherwise. I much prefer the DTSwiss 585/1.2 rim on two other wheelsets I have.

weisan
04-21-2016, 09:42 AM
>>>I'm overwhelmed by the choices...

That's an understatement.
The compass tires are nice... But for daily commute, I would go with something on the cheaper side and higher mileage...perhaps some of the housebrands offered by PerformanceBike.

thirdgenbird
04-21-2016, 09:52 AM
I miss my 585/1.2 wheelset.

How about the 32mm strada lgg?

oldpotatoe
04-21-2016, 09:56 AM
So I get the feeling people here enjoy their Compass tires, but I'm overwhelmed by the choices in 32/35/38. Can anyone tell me their experiences with them? My commute is mostly paved, although I'll occasionally hit some light gravel or dirt for fun. I'm still using road shoes, so I won't get into anything super muddy.

My experience with going from road 23 to 25/28 and/or wider rims was that it really wasn't much of a difference. When I tried some HED3 rims, I ended up using the same pressure as on regular rims as they felt slow otherwise. I much prefer the DTSwiss 585/1.2 rim on two other wheelsets I have.

Why not just use 28s on the DT585 then? What problem are you trying to fix with a 32-38mm tire? Comfort? Durability?

sandyrs
04-21-2016, 09:58 AM

Felt slower, or *were* slower? If it's only a matter of feel it could be because you're used to the feedback of high pressure tires at speed, and the lack thereof leads you to associate the feeling of lower pressure with a lack of speed.

In any case I love the 32mm Compass tires. I would not get the EL casing for commuting but the regular casing is reasonably durable and the ride is great.

guido
04-21-2016, 10:00 AM
One of the key things to get the most benefit when going to wider tires is to use lower air pressure. While it is common to use over 100-120lbs psi on a 23 tires with 32/35/38 tires are generally used with 35-55lbs psi. This makes for a much more comfortable ride and it strongly reduces the tendency for sharp bits on the road to be picked up and work their way into the tire. While the more supple casings used in tires like the Compass tires are somewhat more susceptible to side wall cuts but those are most effectively prevented by just not hitting stuff...

josephr
04-21-2016, 10:04 AM
not really speaking to Compass tires, but wider tires as a trend is getting a little out of hand. Was in my LBS yesterday and they had the new Trek Domane SLR on the floor -- complete with disc brakes and 32mm wide tires. Completely overkill in my mind. I've ridden gatorskins in the 25mm size just fine for the occasional gravel...unless you're getting serious about spending a long time on gravel roads, just ride what you got.

Ken Robb
04-21-2016, 10:04 AM
>>>I'm overwhelmed by the choices...

That's an understatement.
The compass tires are nice... But for daily commute, I would go with something on the cheaper side and higher mileage...perhaps some of the housebrands offered by PerformanceBike.

Good idea. I am very satisfied with 700x37 Performance tires with an almost smooth tread and a Kevlar belt on my Allrounder. I think I paid about $17 each. They may have been on sale.

This isn't a bike for racing. It's a bike for getting places in comfort while carrying BIG loads when required and almost never getting a flat or needing attention. Speaking for myself sacrificing a little potential speed vs. a cushy ride and fewer flats is a good trade. Trying for much speed on my commute would have me arriving as a sweaty mess.

ColonelJLloyd
04-21-2016, 10:07 AM
If you dig Gatorskins stick with them. For a lot of people, though, the difference between a Gatorskin and a supple, higher volume tire is a night and day difference.

not really speaking to Compass tires, but wider tires as a trend is getting a little out of hand. Was in my LBS yesterday and they had the new Trek Domane SLR on the floor -- complete with disc brakes and 32mm wide tires. Completely overkill in my mind. I've ridden gatorskins in the 25mm size just fine for the occasional gravel...unless you're getting serious about spending a long time on gravel roads, just ride what you got.

oldpotatoe
04-21-2016, 10:08 AM
One of the key things to get the most benefit when going to wider tires is to use lower air pressure. While it is common to use over 100-120lbs psi on a 23 tires with 32/35/38 tires are generally used with 35-55lbs psi. This makes for a much more comfortable ride and it strongly reduces the tendency for sharp bits on the road to be picked up and work their way into the tire. While the more supple casings used in tires like the Compass tires are somewhat more susceptible to side wall cuts but those are most effectively prevented by just not hitting stuff...

Supple tire, 35mm with 45psi on 700c rim...doesn't that feel 'Squishy', soft? Just asking. I know 28s at 85 psi do compared to 25s at 85psi.

R3awak3n
04-21-2016, 10:25 AM
what do you want to know?

Personally I would fit the biggest tire I can get away with. On my bikes with compass tires, which are excellent, I have whatever fits on the bike.

I have a 48mm 650b tire which is great. Perfect for my commute, I can roll over everything with it. Very comfortable and feels fast to me. I was on the 42mm tire before which was probably a bit better on pavement than the 48mm but could just be in my head. The 48mm is much more comfy thats for sure.

Also I haven't had that many flats with my compass or gran bois tires. They don't have any protection but for some reason don't flat that often.

deechee
04-21-2016, 10:54 AM
I would go with something on the cheaper side and higher mileage...perhaps some of the housebrands offered by PerformanceBike.

I don't see any house brand tires 30-40mm online (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10052&langId=-1&categoryId=400904&facet=xf_cas_f41_ntk_cs%253A%2528%257B30%2b40%257D %2b40%2529&metaData=&pageSize=&orderBy=&searchTerm=) :S ?

Why not just use 28s on the DT585 then? What problem are you trying to fix with a 32-38mm tire? Comfort? Durability?

Durability & speed. Primarily for commuting, and on the BMC Monster Cross. For instance this morning, the street sweeper went through the bike path and left a TON of gravel and crap in winding S curves. Being able to ride over the stuff and not caring about glass is great. But then I've run into friends on my way home while they're training, and things just seem so much harder with the heavier frame, rack etc. But I also know I've lost a lot of fitness :P

what do you want to know?

Sounds like you prefer the wider the better. That's basically what I wanted to know, if its worth going as wide as the bike fits. And yes, I definitely was not going slower on wider rims, I just didn't like the feel. So I wonder if the extra cushiness of the 38 vs a 32 might feel overkill.

but wider tires as a trend is getting a little out of hand.

I agree, I've ridden on gravel and dirt on my 23's while others have gotten off their bikes. I have no problem with the occasional jaunt, but this bike is specifically for all-around fun while I commute as my wife has a 3 month old at home. But the competitive side of me is coming out, and the current 43mm are a bit of a drag.

And yeah, Gatorskins, I punctured them AND I found them hard as rocks to ride...

GScot
04-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Supple tire, 35mm with 45psi on 700c rim...doesn't that feel 'Squishy', soft? Just asking. I know 28s at 85 psi do compared to 25s at 85psi.

After blowing up my elbow last year which still has limited flex and extension I tried a lot of combos to be able to ride again. My road bike was just too long and low with the steerer cut and when I added a short flipped stem I could sort of reach OK but the road buzz was more than I wanted to take.

I tried the cross bike with less drop to bars anyway and shorter reach. Despite being a stiff cross frame the softer tires were more comfortable, I can take the big hits better than constant vibration. I put compass 35s on it and made it my road bike. Pressure is very important and I even carry a SKS gauge. I weigh about 155 and 50 psi is too much. 35 is too squirrelly for pavement but fine on gravel. 40-45 psi is perfect for me allowing solid corning and no perceptible loss of speed.

weisan
04-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Dee pal, you are right, I just went over and checked, they don't sell their housebrands in those widths. I still think you will do just fine with picking something middle in the road.

guido
04-21-2016, 11:54 AM

For 700c, I ride the 38 EL Compass tires on the road and weigh 190. 35psi in the front, 50 in the rear. Fantastic grip in the corners. Roll fast. Famed new england potholes and crap pavement disappear. Not quite as nice as 650B 42s but close...

adamhell
04-21-2016, 12:03 PM
my personal philosophy recently is max out the tire size in the frame, it's just the most fun that way. my friend has the 38 (barlow pass) & they ride super good & are very comfortable. i have the Soma Grand Randonneur tires in 650b x 42 (basically Compass Babyshoe pass) & they are so fast & comfortable, supple. can't go wrong.

mbrtool
04-21-2016, 12:08 PM
I know this is anecdotal, but I've had three flats in less than 600 miles on my 32mm Stampede Pass tires. All the flats were caused by very small stones.

deechee
04-21-2016, 12:13 PM
I know this is anecdotal, but I've had three flats in less than 600 miles on my 32mm Stampede Pass tires. All the flats were caused by very small stones.

Sorry to hear that. I had a pair of cursed Vittorias that kept flatting too. Thanks for the info. Seems like people are definitely riding all the different sizes. I think I'm leaning towards the 35/38 though. Might as well get something different enough from my road bike.

guido
04-21-2016, 12:17 PM

How much do you weigh? What pressure were you riding them at? Did the stones go through the tread or sidewall?

Mzilliox
04-21-2016, 12:22 PM
I love the panaracer gravel kings for a mid priced tire in the 28-32mm size with decent flat protection and decent suppleness. very good compromise tire if looking at Compass but not liking the price tag.

I like my 28s pumped to 65 psi. seems a nice balance of speed and cushion

mbrtool
04-21-2016, 12:45 PM
How much do you weigh? What pressure were you riding them at? Did the stones go through the tread or sidewall?

I weigh 175lbs, tire pressure is 75/85 psi. and straight through the tread.

bbobway
04-21-2016, 01:37 PM
I love the panaracer gravel kings for a mid priced tire in the 28-32mm size with decent flat protection and decent suppleness. very good compromise tire if looking at Compass but not liking the price tag.

I like my 28s pumped to 65 psi. seems a nice balance of speed and cushion

Me too!

guido
04-21-2016, 02:02 PM
I weigh 175lbs, tire pressure is 75/85 psi. and straight through the tread.

That is way to high to run those at your weight. And that is probably why you got the flats. I never ran those over 60 and never had a flat...

mbrtool
04-21-2016, 02:32 PM
I'll give them a shot at 60 psi.

donevwil
04-21-2016, 02:44 PM
I ride both the Compass Barlows and Grand Bois Cypres (predecessor to the Stampede Pass, but with a slightly thinner center tread). I initially ran the Barlows on my BMC MonsterX, only to remove them in favor of some Schwalbe Marathon Supremes. As much as I love the BMC, I just didn't feel any true advantage with the Barlow on that bike (racks front and rear, relatively heavy, etc). Put the Barlows on my Potts and they were a different tire, much more consistent with the typical reviews shared. Even at my healthy 240lb I still prefer the Cypres for everyday road riding and mellow off-roading on my Potts and prefer the Marathon Supremes on my heavily laden BMC.

After ~3000 miles I've finally used up my first Cypres. It spent about 1000mi on the front after which it was moved to the rear. Two flats total, finally tossed because the location of a previous flat was showing some cord. I run them at 60/65 off road and 65/70 on. It will be replaced with a Stampede Pass.

I would have no issue commuting on these, but opt for less expensive options.

deechee
04-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Put the Barlows on my Potts and they were a different tire, much more consistent with the typical reviews shared. Even at my healthy 240lb I still prefer the Cypres for everyday road riding and mellow off-roading on my Potts and prefer the Marathon Supremes on my heavily laden BMC.

I would have no issue commuting on these, but opt for less expensive options.

Thank you very much! My BMC won't be loaded, but I do plan to carry more on the rear rack which I currently don't have a bag for. (Debating just getting a small dry bag for now and bungee-cording it) Interesting you prefer the narrower 32s for everyday. Any recommendations on the less expensive front? Unfortunately there's not much I see at the stores locally, and I doubt I'd want to go down to wire-beads.

sparky33
04-21-2016, 03:15 PM
My commute is mostly paved, although I'll occasionally hit some light gravel or dirt for fun. I'm still using road shoes, so I won't get into anything super muddy.

Nice! Treat yourself to the fattest high-zoot Compass tire you can fit, and have even more fun on the way to work. Economize elsewhere.

My experience with going from road 23 to 25/28 and/or wider rims was that it really wasn't much of a difference.

the jump up to 32+ is significant and worthwhile.

donevwil
04-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Thank you very much! My BMC won't be loaded, but I do plan to carry more on the rear rack which I currently don't have a bag for. (Debating just getting a small dry bag for now and bungee-cording it) Interesting you prefer the narrower 32s for everyday. Any recommendations on the less expensive front? Unfortunately there's not much I see at the stores locally, and I doubt I'd want to go down to wire-beads.

I always look out for sales and recently bought a pair of Marathon Supremes for $28/ea from Jenson (they don't appear to have them any more). I do like to stick to nice tires as I've never had luck with cheap tires with one exception.

You really can't go wrong with good ol' Paselas. I have 32 standard Paselas on one bike and they are very nice for the price. Nicer in every way than Gatorskin 32s, for example. I did not like the 28s I tried, however, nor the puncture layered version I tried years back in 32mm (I forget specifically which one).

AllanVarcoe
04-21-2016, 05:01 PM
I always look out for sales and recently bought a pair of Marathon Supremes for $28/ea from Jenson (they don't appear to have them any more). I do like to stick to nice tires as I've never had luck with cheap tires with one exception.

You really can't go wrong with good ol' Paselas. I have 32 standard Paselas on one bike and they are very nice for the price. Nicer in every way than Gatorskin 32s, for example. I did not like the 28s I tried, however, nor the puncture layered version I tried years back in 32mm (I forget specifically which one).

Good to know because I run Gatorskin 32's and the ride is awful! If I run them any less than 85psi it feels like I'm draging a bricks up hills. I haven't gotten any flats in a LONG time though.

Ken Robb
04-21-2016, 05:23 PM
I searched San Diego Performance site and found 700x32,35,38 tires under the Forte label which is Performance's house brand. Now on sale for $12.95. There may be more options on the national Performance mail order site?

weisan
04-21-2016, 07:31 PM
I searched San Diego Performance site and found 700x32,35,38 tires under the Forte label which is Performance's house brand. Now on sale for $12.95. There may be more options on the national Performance mail order site?

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1168305_-1___000000

sonnyhooper
04-25-2016, 10:07 AM
It all depends on what type of road riding you want to do. I would go bigger if you don't want to race.

SH