PDA

View Full Version : Well Poo I crashed on gravel.

stephenmarklay
04-20-2016, 09:21 PM
I’m a sore pup. Lucky however. I had some good gashes on my left inner arm and elbow and got 10 stitches. My hip is pretty painful but the rash is not too bad.

I don’t feel great but I will bounce back.

unterhausen
04-20-2016, 09:24 PM
wow, sorry to hear that. That seems like a lot of damage

rcnute
04-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Sometimes you grind the gravel, sometimes the gravel grinds you.

Ryan

Ken Robb
04-20-2016, 09:37 PM

Ryan

FUNNY!! Maybe not yet to the guy with the stitches though. :)

gasman
04-20-2016, 09:48 PM
I remember as a kid doing an endo on my homemade stingray onto gravel. I had to spend an hour picking gravel out of my palms. I feel for you. Heal up.
The memory of the weeks it took my palms to heal still haunts me to always wear cycling gloves.

Fivethumbs
04-20-2016, 11:34 PM
Last time I crashed on asphalt I used this stuff called Tegaderm. It helped a lot.

azrider
04-20-2016, 11:57 PM
bummer.......heal soon

Louis
04-21-2016, 12:42 AM
Skin will heal, hows the bike? :D

betahprod
04-21-2016, 12:51 AM
How fast were you going to get 10 stitches? Heal up! Sorry to hear that. 10 is a big number!

Peter P.
04-21-2016, 06:16 AM
Pics of the gore or it didn't happen! What do think; we dole out sympathy for free on this forum?!

oldpotatoe
04-21-2016, 06:38 AM
How fast were you going to get 10 stitches? Heal up! Sorry to hear that. 10 is a big number!

Cut it on the rotor...:)

:eek:sorry, couldn't resist..

guido
04-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Hope you feel better and get back out there soon!

Cicli
04-21-2016, 07:05 AM
Hope you heal quick.

Do you need a special bike to crash on gravel?

William
04-21-2016, 07:18 AM

Ryan

Get back tah grindin'!!! ;)

William

PS:Heal quickly my friend!

stephenmarklay
04-21-2016, 07:26 AM
FUNNY!! Maybe not yet to the guy with the stitches though. :)

Yep that is for sure. My gravel riding days are not over. I was simply going too fast down a gravel hill and the turn was just a little sharp. I was power sliding hard and then I hit the deck. We are pretty hilly and out gravel is really loose and difficult. Most of the time I don’t even like riding my BMW F800 motorcycle on it since it feels like marbles.

Anyway I will be as good as new pretty soon. Ironically I this week I decided to really start riding with a purpose. I am already thinking about the trainer today.

Last night I was in a lot of pain. My left shoulder hit hard and aside for the gashes and such it I felt like I had been dropped from a building.

I made a wishes brew of Curcumin, Turmeric, White will bark and Hibiscus and s small glass of wine. But at the end of the day I had to resort to 2 ibuprofen.

I hate taking drugs per se but it got me a good night sleep on the couch fully clothed :)

stephenmarklay
04-21-2016, 07:29 AM
Hope you heal quick.

My beloved (I say that since this bike has given me more smiles per mile than just about anything) Schwinn Hybrid. I ground down one lever and my Selle Anatomic too a hit unfortunately. I have not really looked it over yet but I rode a few miles home and it was not too bad.

stephenmarklay
04-21-2016, 07:31 AM
Skin will heal, hows the bike? :D

I was silly not to be on my mountain bike as I was riding gravel up, hitting trails and then gravel down. Its an short interval loop I do.

Thank goodness I was not on an expensive bike.

stephenmarklay
04-21-2016, 07:34 AM
My urgent care visit was simply remarkable. We have one non-ER urgent care that does stitches and x-rays and they are awesome.

The physicians assistant has treated me for 10 years. I was in the room in less than 5 minutes. Being cleaned out in under 10 and I bet the whole ordeal stitches and all was less than an hour.

Ronsonic
04-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Hope you heal quick.

:beer:

Today's word is "debridement."

Can you say "debridement?"

It's pronounced "Hnnnnnhhhnnnn."

stephenmarklay
04-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Facebook reminded me of something super crazy. My last real crash was 6 years ago racing. It was on April 20, the exact same day. I have already marked my calendar to stay on the couch that day in 6 years.

Tickdoc
04-21-2016, 06:11 PM
My only crash on gravel was when exploring new hills about six years ago. One nice hill turned to gravel but I just kept riding hoping it would turn back to asphalt. It didn't, so after a few miles I turned around and fell, hyper flexing my newly surgeried knee.

No gravel for me.

stephenmarklay
04-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Well its been a few days now and I am moving better. I even did an hour on my stationary bike.

However, my left elbow is twice its normal size. I went back to the urgent care a bit ago and got some antibiotics. I was really hoping to not have to take any but it is what it is.

My left hip hit something hard. I am thinking maybe the end of the bar. I originally had a lump about the size of a golf ball. It appears I tore a fair amount of muscle as the bruising is pretty extensive now. The Dr. said it will run down my inner thigh and last several weeks. It is painful in a stinging sort of way and really swollen.

The good news is all of my other rash, legs, hands and arms is already a lot better.

I will be rinding again in a week I am sure.

ajhapps
04-23-2016, 11:43 PM
Oh man, I feel you buddy, and hope you're on the mend. Always a bummer to go down.

I crashed riding on gravel last Sunday and haven't been back on the bike since. Tomorrow is the first test. Lots of road rash, lots of nasty bruising, but luckily no stitches or broken bones. New helmet now, though!

Funny, I've been sleeping on the couch too... much better at keeping you locked on one side so you don't roll onto the ouchy side. Get well soon!

SpokeValley
04-24-2016, 08:00 AM

Ryan

:rolleyes:

stephenmarklay
04-24-2016, 08:15 AM
:rolleyes:

Spokevalley, you I and Dave Thompson should ride together this year. I am on the South Hill and the Palouse area is my stomping grounds. Dave is north where there is great riding.

downtube
04-24-2016, 09:36 AM
I hope you heal quickly, keep an eye on that elbow. My wife and I ride our road bikes on all surfaces, last year we were coming down a steep gravel road that had a sharp off camber left hand turn at the bottom. I made it, she wasn't so lucky, she got a little scuffed up but like you, her hip took a beating. She had a bruise the size of a football and some pretty good stiffness for a while. Sounds like you have an amazing urgent care near you, you are lucky.

stephenmarklay
04-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Thanks downtube. Yes this particular urgent care is really really impressive.

Super courteous from reception back, lightening fast and filled with great Dr’s.

Its exactly opposite of most.

Yeah my elbow really blew up with infection and started to hurt. I think the antibiotics are starting to work though.

I will be back riding soon!

dave thompson
04-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Spokevalley, you I and Dave Thompson should ride together this year. I am on the South Hill and the Palouse area is my stomping grounds. Dave is north where there is great riding.

That would be fun, I'm back in Spokane for a few months. I'd be a little slow though, my knee is still ginked up a little from my car accident last year and I've not been on a bike for a while.

Or go for beers.

stephenmarklay
04-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Man the swelling in my lower abdomen and hip is tremendous. I am actually thinking that I cleanly tore a lower abdominal muscle.

I am going to contact some Doctors to see if I can have it looked at at possible surgery.

weisan
04-29-2016, 05:56 PM
Thank goodness I was not on an expensive bike.

Man the swelling in my lower abdomen and hip is tremendous. I am actually thinking that I cleanly tore a lower abdominal muscle.

I am going to contact some Doctors to see if I can have it looked at at possible surgery.

What's up with us cyclists, sometimes our priorities are so mixed up. :confused:

Hope you continue to heal, Stephen pal....it sounded like you should really have it looked at.

Louis
04-29-2016, 05:58 PM
it sounded like you should really have it looked at.

Agreed. Time for some serious medical attention.

dave thompson
04-29-2016, 06:14 PM

Tequila. Enough and you'll still hurt but you won't care!

stephenmarklay
04-29-2016, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys! I am lucky enough to know a guy at a big orthopedic outfit here and I got in and an X-ray very shortly after I wrote this.

I am getting and MRI early next week. There is so much swelling and I have a hematoma the size of a water balloon so its hard to see what is going on.

Its possible I won’t have much of a riding summer. Not great with a cool new bike in the garage :crap:

stephenmarklay
04-29-2016, 10:04 PM
Tequila. Enough and you'll still hurt but you won't care!

Dave I am actually not in any serious pain. Discomfort yes but hey the tequila might be good anyway :beer:

Ronsonic
04-29-2016, 11:46 PM
What's up with us cyclists, sometimes our priorities are so mixed up. :confused:

On the back of one of my jerseys it says "IN CASE OF ACCIDENT please call a mechanic." It's sorta how we are.

Anyway, to the OP I see you're getting yourself taken care off - hoping for a quick recovery.

Joxster
04-30-2016, 06:41 AM
Facebook reminded me of something super crazy. My last real crash was 6 years ago racing. It was on April 20, the exact same day. I have already marked my calendar to stay on the couch that day in 6 years.

Hitlers birthday ;)

Joxster
04-30-2016, 06:46 AM
Old school fix is Hibiscrub and a nail brush, scub till it bleeds and then a bit more to clean out any gravel. Dry with hairdryer, I've had a mechanic gaffa tape a cut shut so I could finish the stage and then sew it up.

stephenmarklay
04-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Hitlers birthday ;)

Whoa

stephenmarklay
04-30-2016, 08:49 AM
Old school fix is Hibiscrub and a nail brush, scub till it bleeds and then a bit more to clean out any gravel. Dry with hairdryer, I've had a mechanic gaffa tape a cut shut so I could finish the stage and then sew it up.

The rash was not really the worst of it this time. I had some but it was not as bad as pavement. I had deep gashes from the gravel and then whatever I landed on with my hip.

stephenmarklay
05-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Man I am finally coming around -I think.

I had an MRI and there are no bad things going on in my hip.

The Dr. drained the fluid form my hip today. More than 400 ML = 13.25 oz. That was crazy. I am happy to have that gone.

sandyrs
05-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Man I am finally coming around -I think.

I had an MRI and there are no bad things going on in my hip.

The Dr. drained the fluid form my hip today. More than 400 ML = 13.25 oz. That was crazy. I am happy to have that gone.

Holy ****. Did you get details on what caused that much buildup?

stephenmarklay
05-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Holy ****. Did you get details on what caused that much buildup?

Yeah it was crazy. The Dr. and Nurse were amazed. One for the cocktail parties.

I hit pretty hard and something (I think the end of the bar) impacted between my groin and hip. It is so swollen even now it is hard to see what is going on (hence the MRI). The blood, of which has caused bruising on the outside and inside of my thigh combined with a lot of water in an inflammatory response.

He said I can resume activity but it may start to build up fluid until the trauma is healed up. I am have to get it drained again.