PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott thoughts.

News Man
06-20-2006, 02:55 PM
I am a serious afficionado of steel frames. I love the aesthetics and ride and have found both to be without peer among other frame materials. I bought a used Ottrott recently just because I have always been curious and the price was right.

To make a long story short, I was blown away by the responsiveness and comfort of this frame. As much as I love steel, I must admit that this bike is among the most special I have ever ridden and it doesn't look half bad either.

There that was hard for me say, but I gotta give Serotta props on a well executed design.

flydhest
06-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I bought a used Ottrott recently just because --snipped--the price was right.

Is this the first time that this statement has been made about an Ottrott?

SoCalSteve
06-20-2006, 05:21 PM
second hand market.

I bought my Ottrott and Hors Cat that way. One from ebay and one from RBR.

If you do not know your size, want or need custom and I am sure many other reasons, buying a bike new is great. For some of us (who own many bikes) buying on the second hand market is a great way to go.

I too love my Ottrott! It is a great handling bike and it is super comfortable and plush. I am sure I would not own one today if I wasnt able to buy it for about 1/2 the price of new.

Call me cheap (or call me anything else you want) I have a great stable of bikes and only a select few were purchased new/custom.

Hey, thanks for listening,

Steve

CNY rider
06-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Is this the first time that this statement has been made about an Ottrott?

Seriously, last fall I bought one from a board member because I had been itching to give one a try, and it was offered at a price I couldn't resist.

I've already traded it away. Turns out my Legend, which was a custom build for me, beats it hands down when it comes to doing what I want a bike to do. No doubt the Ottrott is a great bike, but I think the value of true customization outweighs a lot of other qualities.

JasonF
06-20-2006, 07:46 PM
I was offered an Ottrott ST in my size (frame, fork, headset) for $2,000 and I passed. The price was ridiculously low, but it was at the same time our family was dealing with the ending stages our my dad's terminal illness. Even the thought of buying the bike and flipping it didn't appeal to me. I told the seller that he could get a lot more for the bike, and to find someone who will enjoy it. He did and I'm glad about that. I still wonder what it would be like to ride, from the sound of your post, it bet it would have been amazing. Congrats.

News Man
06-20-2006, 10:39 PM
I was offered an Ottrott ST in my size (frame, fork, headset) for $2,000 and I passed. The price was ridiculously low, but it was at the same time our family was dealing with the ending stages our my dad's terminal illness. Even the thought of buying the bike and flipping it didn't appeal to me. I told the seller that he could get a lot more for the bike, and to find someone who will enjoy it. He did and I'm glad about that. I still wonder what it would be like to ride, from the sound of your post, it bet it would have been amazing. Congrats.

That's exactly what I bought this one for, $2,000 frame, fork and headset. I couldn't resist.

I am very sorry to hear about your dad.