PDA

View Full Version : Look CX-6: Q Factor Adjustment

bobscott
06-20-2006, 12:16 PM
I just bought a set of used Look Cx-6 pedals and would like to play with their adjustable Q factor/stance width.
There are a second set of flats at the inside of where the axle enters the pedal body. I assume it is for this adjustment. I also assume this is threaded and the adjustment involves mearly screwing it in or out. Is this correct?
Also this would require a pretty large, and possibly narrow wrench, anyone done this without the tool that comes with the pedals?
Thanks,
bobscott

bcm119
06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I've used a 6" crescent wrench with some success. Just be sure to not over tighten the little spanner nut on the other side, I've broken the aluminum shaft before. Its not uncommon to snap that shaft-- Look warranteed the pedal no questions asked.

PS you need the special tool for that spanner nut, or an adjustable spanner.

bobscott
06-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the answer.
Please let me make sure I have this right.
The spanner nut you are talking about is black and toothed. It acts as a lock nut to hold the adjustment.
So first I have to loosen the spanner/lock nut. Then I can adjust the Q with the larger extension of the axle with two wrench flats This adjustment can then be locked in place with the spanner nut.
Is this right and are there differences in the thread directions?
I am also unsure what you mean as an adjustable spanner.
Thanks again,
bobscott

bcm119
06-21-2006, 12:42 PM
You got it. The spanner nut is the one behind the little plastic flip-off piece on the outside of the pedal body. Spanner nut loosens normally, ccw, and the pedal does the same. I assume from your posts that you lost the special little tool... I did too for a while, and got away with a small pair of needle nosed pliers to adjust the spanner nut, but I don't recommend it, its made of very soft alum. A better alternative is an adjustable spanner wrench, with parallel pointed shafts, like the ones used for cameras. Its a stupid, finicky design imho.

bobscott
06-21-2006, 12:56 PM
"You got it. The spanner nut is the one behind the little plastic flip-off piece on the outside of the pedal body. Spanner nut loosens normally, ccw, and the pedal does the same. I assume from your posts that you lost the special little tool... "

Actually I didn't have it. I was looking for the spanner on the inside of the pedal body rather than under that "dustcap". Bought the pedals used, the seller doesn't have the tool, didn't know I needed one when I bought the pedals.

Again my thanks for walking me through this....a big help.