PDA

View Full Version : World's Best Floor Pump

Too Tall
06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Your working floor pump with a worn out head + a working silca chuck.

No kidding, I was about to pop for a Silca Super Pista due to frustration over NOT finding decent rubber replacement parts for my fav. cheapo Joe Blow pump when lightning struck. Dug around in my parts bin and came up with three ancient Silca Brass Chucks. Best thing of it is that I KNOW I can find replacement parts for the Silca chuck.

Fat City.

May your experience exceed mine.

djg
06-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Your working floor pump with a worn out head + a working silca chuck.

No kidding, I was about to pop for a Silca Super Pista due to frustration over NOT finding decent rubber replacement parts for my fav. cheapo Joe Blow pump when lightning struck. Dug around in my parts bin and came up with three ancient Silca Brass Chucks. Best thing of it is that I KNOW I can find replacement parts for the Silca chuck.

Fat City.

May your experience exceed mine.

Sounds good ... but sthere's another option--when the head went on my joe blow pro I sent an e-mail to topeak and they sent me a replacement for free.

Ahneida Ride
06-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Same here.

Topeak sent me a replacement head for free.

Just make sure the Chrome ring on the head is tight to ensure no
leaks.

ashwinearl
06-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Best floor pump

Silca with a Topeak Smart Head replacement hose/head.

Always problems with the stock Silca heads. Now it is perfect!

Serotta PETE
06-20-2006, 12:06 PM
The one I borrowed from Mike at CYCLESPORT and forgot to return before I left for Raleigh..... :no: :no:

keno
06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Never liked the head on my Joe Blow Pro. Replaced it with an Action Jaxon head and I'm pumped.

keno

flydhest
06-20-2006, 12:29 PM
any one, but particularly the women, please recommend a floor pump that requires very little upper body strength. The Doctor ends up doing jumping jacks trying to inflate tires, as she has to use her whole body weight--which ain't much.

keno
06-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Get her one of them electric thingees, fly.

keno

flydhest
06-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Get her one of them electric thingees, fly.

keno
then what would she need me for????

Ken Robb
06-20-2006, 12:42 PM
I have a Joe Blow Sport and it's fine. I also have a Wrench Force Silca copy with the Silca-like brass head and the lovely shaped wooden handle. It too is fine and may be better for a smaller person. It seems to take a few more pumps to reach a given pressure but those pumps require less force. I paid $20 for it new from a vendor at the SD Velodrome Swap Meet.

djg
06-20-2006, 12:55 PM
then what would she need me for????

Somebody has to be willing to run out for batteries ... CVS can be pretty dodgy in the wee hours.

Three suggestions: (1) somebody already mentioned an electric thingy, (2) if she doesn't like that option, or the usual floor pumps, there are foot powered pumps on the market that could surely take a bike hose/head, and (3) head on down to the LBS to let her try a few? (I think there might be basic issues of mechanical advantage to do with the pump, but also ergonomic issues that might matter to her--the DC shops have options and the performance outlets in Virginia have all sorts of things she could try (and then take home and then return after a few weeks if she has buyer's remorse).

keno
06-20-2006, 01:14 PM
seems to me that unless a mechanical pump has some kind of lever arm, it will be a trade off between a low volume high repitition pump vs a high volume low repitition pump. I think the idea of The Doctor trying some at the lbs is a good one. All in, though, the AC/DC route sounds best, or maybe lots of CO2 cartridges, but we know better, don't we?

keno

Too Tall
06-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Fly, that's a "blue" job...along with making coffee ;)

Ozz
06-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Your working floor pump with a worn out head + a working silca chuck....
Same experience with my Zephal Husky...head wore out, no shops had parts...replaced with Silca head...family puts a half dozen new washers in my stocking every Xmas...I'm set. :banana:

sspielman
06-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I have had a Silca Pista since global warming put an end to the last ice age (woops...wrong thread)...I just replace the leather gasket once a year or so and the rubber washer whenever it needs it, and it keeps working. Judging from how much it has been borrowed at the beginning of rides and races, it must be one of the most reliable pumps around.

Too Tall
06-20-2006, 01:55 PM
NICE post Sspielman...dat's what I'm talking about. P'd me off to have several pumps around my shop in various states of BROKE!

Now finding an unloved Silca Super Pista will be a quest....kind of like finding a new cat. If I look too hard I'll come up with a bummer...with patience a nice lazy fat one will find it's way to my home ;)

Ti Designs
06-20-2006, 11:26 PM
I tend to stay out of the equipment threads because cycling (to me) is 99% rider. People spend way too much time and thought on equipment. Pumps are different, they either work well and are reliable, or they don't.

I've had a Silca track pump for 25 years, and I bought it used. It's almost too simple to not work. I've replaced the original hose with an Earl's AN6 SuperStock line (I dabble in high performance automotive plumbing) and the head has been on the lathe to turn some new threads, but it's still pretty much the same bombproof pump it's always been.

If someone asked me which floor pump is the best today (and that kinda is my job, so they do) I point them at the Specialized Pro. Go to any bike shop where they sell that pump and look at what the sales people use. In my shop it's the clear go-to pump. BUT (there's always a but), anyone you let use it needs to understand it's workings. It has a smart head - don't try to understand it, certainly don't try to fix it, just use it. It works on just about any valve without any changes or thinking - clip it on and pump. The death of the smart head is the person who thinks that you need to reverse some parts or change something to fill a presta valve tire.

06-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Second the Specialized. Get the Pro with the polished aluminum barrel. It's superb quality, easy to use, not particularly heavy, and so far unbreakable (and daily use at the track has broken just about every other pump).

Silca's used to be really fine, and if you can find an older one, it's great. The current ones just aren't the same. They work, but they aren't great. Better pumps have finally come along.

manet
06-21-2006, 07:37 AM
I point them at the Specialized Pro.