PDA

View Full Version : Compact Shifting/D2R2

Bittersweet
06-20-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm considering installing a Stronglight Z'Light compact crank on my all DA10 bike for the Deerfield Dirt Road Randonee ( D2R2). The reason for the Stronglight is this is the only compact that I can find with 180mm arms unless someone knows of another. I think 34x27 gearing should get me through. I also plan to mount some Roly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy tires. My Merckx Team SC looks to have a fair bit of room for these.

The goal is to change (spend $$) as little as possible to do this ride.

Do I need to get a compact specific front derailleur for the shifting or should I be fine with the existing DA10?

Roly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy? Others?

Marcusaurelius
06-20-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm considering installing a Stronglight Z'Light compact crank on my all DA10 bike for the Deerfield Dirt Road Randonee ( D2R2). The reason for the Stronglight is this is the only compact that I can find with 180mm arms unless someone knows of another. I think 34x27 gearing should get me through. I also plan to mount some Roly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy tires. My Merckx Team SC looks to have a fair bit of room for these.

The goal is to change (spend $$) as little as possible to do this ride.

Do I need to get a compact specific front derailleur for the shifting or should I be fine with the existing DA10?

Roly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy? Others?

I've been using a 50/36 compact crank for 2 years with a standard front derailleur and it shifts very well. Also shimano makes their compact 50/34 to shift well with a standard front derailleur.

Ginger
06-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Not Shimano...

My campy compact works well with the non-compact front der...however some twitchng was required on the part of my wrench genie to get it right.

flydhest
06-20-2006, 12:38 PM
TA will allow you a 180 with a compact set of rings.

Bittersweet
06-20-2006, 12:53 PM
TA will allow you a 180 with a compact set of rings.

Very true but I can only find one for $375 at Peter White's and I still need a bb.

Bittersweet
06-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Not Shimano...

My campy compact works well with the non-compact front der...however some twitchng was required on the part of my wrench genie to get it right.

Are you going compact or triple at D2R2?

Ken Robb
06-20-2006, 12:57 PM
I have FSA Carbon Compact w/50/34 on my Legend w/10 spd Dura Ace double set up and it shifts perfectly. I guess there is some chance that a different set of rings might not work as well but I really don't know.

Ginger
06-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Are you going compact or triple at D2R2?

At the moment I'm sticking with my compact and a 13/29 cassette.

Between NC and some steep straight ups here in MI I haven't found anything I've needed to walk...yet.

Even though that isn't the plan, I'm no stranger to walking up hills, and really, I don't mind it from time to time...stretches out the calves really well...somewhat welcome in the middle of a century. ;) (Gotta think positive!)

I *do* happen to have a triple w/bb and all the tools required to change that baby out coming along for the trip. I don't think I'll be resorting to that...but I have that base covered. :) Just in case.
I won't be bringing along a long cage rear deraillure, but *if* I'm careful shifting...that should be a non issue.

Oh, and I'm going with some cross tires...whatever I have already mounted. I usually just ride my Michilin Carbon 25s in that stuff, but I think I want to go a little faster and not slip around in the sand so much...I thought about going with my tubulars...lighter wheels and all that, but I'm fairly inexperienced in changing those out, so just to be safe, I'm doing the clinchers.

dauwhe
06-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Just remember you'll be faced with 25% grades on dirt, and longish climbs at 15% or more over pretty loose, rocky surfaces.

In situations like that, I know I tend to lose rear wheel traction if I stand, and so I tend to climb things like this in the saddle.

Keep that in mind when thinking about gearing, as well as the organizer's advice that a 1:1 gear would be good even for seasoned racers!

Dave "overgeared with a 24x30 last year" Cramer
Brattleboro, Vermont

P.S. I did walk some sections last year, but then again I think I was the 2nd-to-last finisher. A tandem did the whole route without walking!

Ginger
06-20-2006, 01:31 PM
My balance is pretty good on the Kirk...don't spin out much even through sand and gravel...high cadence, light pressure on the pedals...and yeah,I'm concerned about gearing. That's why the triple is coming along in the tool box. :) So is the mountian bike in case I really wuss out. :banana:

I'm also registered for the 100 but may beg off to the shorter version depending on how my knee continues to recover from surgery.

So take all my input with a huge grain of salt...I'll be there, I'll be riding...but just *what* is open. And I don't mind being last...not at all. :)

flydhest
06-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Very true but I can only find one for $375 at Peter White's and I still need a bb.

but they look soooooo good.

Bittersweet
06-20-2006, 02:02 PM
but they look soooooo good.

I know and the Stronglight is soooooo ugly. I might just have to suck it up and go back to 175s where options abound.

palincss
06-20-2006, 05:32 PM
P.S. I did walk some sections last year, but then again I think I was the 2nd-to-last finisher. A tandem did the whole route without walking!

Yes, but whose tandem, one might ask? My money says it was John Bayley and Pamela Blalock - and there aren't many who can measure up to them.

dauwhe
06-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Yes, but whose tandem, one might ask? My money says it was John Bayley and Pamela Blalock - and there aren't many who can measure up to them.

But of course!

I think Pamela's threatening to ride D2R2 on a singlespeed this year...

Dave

fiamme red
06-20-2006, 06:16 PM
But of course!

I think Pamela's threatening to ride D2R2 on a singlespeed this year...

DaveYou're kidding, no?

Peter P.
06-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Before you even THINK about getting a crank, you better check to see if the wider tires will fit your Merckx. As far as I'm concerned, when it's suggested you use a 28mm tire MINIMUM, the organizers mean it. I used a 32mm and found it perfect in last year's very dry conditions.

MAYBE you could tiptoe through with a 25mm tire, but I think you'll be walking and or losing traction too much, as well as slowing down considerably in the rougher sections. With my 32's I was able to "bomb with aplomb".

My setup was an ATB with a rigid fork and 26x1.25" Panaracer Paselas. 34x30 was the lowest gear I used.

I'd sooner throw some skinny rubber on an ATB, even if it had suspension, then try to retrofit a racing bike for this event.

jbay
06-20-2006, 09:48 PM
I just happened to check the forum tonight and ran across this.

Yes, Pamela is indeed talking about riding the 100k on singlespeed. In her case, that will be on a Redline Monocog which cost less that some of the cranks being discussed! However, she has also thrown down the gauntlet to TiDesigns, who is thinking of riding it on fixed.

Regarding last year's ride, we used a 28 x 32 for our bottom gear and 26 x 1.9 Avocet smooth treaded (as opposed to "slick") tyres. We did end up dabbing twice - once when we sunk into deep sand on the slight downhill from the first checkpoint and once on the final climb. I thought we would be able to clean it in the middle ring, but misjudged it, as it either got steeper or went on longer than I anticipated (probably both - I have my rose tinted glasses on at the moment). I tried to slip it into the granny ring gently (although it was more like the Elvis ring at that stage, as we were sure we caught a glimpse of The King standing by the trailside, but I digress) but we suffered from the dreaded chain suck and came briefly to a half.

I was like a pig in my third gear (e-Ritchie/atmo will get the reference) on the following descent, but Pamela says that her heart rate was higher on that downhill than on any of the climbs!

See you in Deerfield/Greenfield in August,
John

Ti Designs
06-20-2006, 10:46 PM
she has also thrown down the gauntlet to TiDesigns, who is thinking of riding it on fixed.

By that John means that she (and everyone else) said it couldn't be done. That makes it a stupid idea - I specialize in stupid ideas, and I train for them too. I climbed Wachusett with a 42x16 in the saddle, so the climbs don't scare me as much as they should (there's nothing even close to 25% on Wachusett). I did a few laps of Willards woods at speed on my fixed gear with the fastproof cross tires the other night. I even pulled a perfect tabletop off a small jump and almost took out a park bench doing it. If there's anyone dumb enough to try that ride on a fixed gear, I've got to be at the top of the list.

For the record, if I do the ride I will still obey the "closest bike to the door with air in the tires" rule. If I think about it, I'll move the fixer over to the first hook. Right now my track bike is hanging there with the disk wheel on the back and 19mm tires - that would be a mistake...

Bittersweet
06-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Before you even THINK about getting a crank, you better check to see if the wider tires will fit your Merckx. As far as I'm concerned, when it's suggested you use a 28mm tire MINIMUM, the organizers mean it. I used a 32mm and found it perfect in last year's very dry conditions.

MAYBE you could tiptoe through with a 25mm tire, but I think you'll be walking and or losing traction too much, as well as slowing down considerably in the rougher sections. With my 32's I was able to "bomb with aplomb".

My setup was an ATB with a rigid fork and 26x1.25" Panaracer Paselas. 34x30 was the lowest gear I used.

I'd sooner throw some skinny rubber on an ATB, even if it had suspension, then try to retrofit a racing bike for this event.

I have an MTB with slicks as my back-up plan and I already own everything there. The fork has a lock-out so it is certainly the most likely candidate. I've been thinking of giving a compact crank a try anyway so this is what is pushing me in this direction. I know the jerk said it makes for terrible gearing but I think he used the "but for pack fodder". I'm definitely pack fodder or worse at stage in life and mostly ride alone (read no spinning out a 50x12 on the flats in a pack for me) so I think it might be a nice option. I could ride to the start of this event from where so I live so I see some of these types of roads quite frequently. I also ride around my parents' house (hometown) in NH quite a bit and long dirt roads are the norm. All in all I figured if I could make it work on the Merckx I'd do a little minor conversion on the and give it a whirl. The Merckx seems to have way more room front and back than my Mooney which was my first choice.

I also plan on doing the pathetic 100k. If all goes wrong I can hike-a-bike to the pavement and then have a fun ride from there with a lesson learned.

I'm currently leaning toward a 185mm TA Carmina with 50/34. Peter White has them in stock. Phil Wood or TA bottom bracket?

flydhest
06-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I specialize in stupid ideas

I hope you didn't copyright this, as I am planning on using this phrase often.

Hey, thanks for writing.