PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help deciding between Enve 4.5 tubulars and Bora Ultra 50's.

uber
04-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Hi all. I am looking for help deciding between the two wheelsests. These wheels will be used on a Campy equipped Peg for fast club rides. They will not be abused in races. I have other Enve wheels and appreciate their bomb proof property and great warranty. The Bora's are a bit lighter and I like the cosmetics too. I have no idea how they ride compared to the Enves. I am interested in tubulars. Thanks very much for your input.

adrien
04-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Well, that's certainly a first-world problem!

I tried 4 different 50mm wheels before I settled on the Enves. I wanted to try Bora Ultras, but couldn't find any to borrow. I have a buddy who has the shallower ones, and he loves them, but then he loves all things Campy.

The Bora's reputation is stellar, though there doesn't seem to be any real data on them. If it were me, I'd try to find some to ride (ride both if you can) and decide from there. I would have tried harder to find some if they weren't going on a very American bike -- SRAM on a Firefly with Campy wheels seemed like an expensive faux pas to me.

As for the 4.5s; incredible. Very quick, great braking with the new textured surface (they changed to it very recently) and I had mine built locally with blue R45s, because I'm vain that way. Great in crosswinds and -- unlike the others I tried -- they felt very lively, like an alloy wheel.

They look great too, though so do Boras if the colors go on your bike.

Russian bear
04-19-2016, 08:37 PM
I'd skip the Ultras and buy Bora One. There's no good reason to spend that extra $700.

So in that case, between the two listed I'd go for the Enves.

r_mutt
04-19-2016, 08:38 PM
the biggest advantage that the enve's have over the bora's are when they are crashed. you can replace each part individually at a reasonable (for a high end wheel) cost. buying a new rim or hub for a bora isn't practical. having said that, bora's have a stellar reputation. both seem to be well regarded in braking as the surface of both are new for this year.

fwiw, i never understood why racing a wheel would abuse it any more than "regular" riding. abuse is abuse whether you are racing or JRA. putting down 300W for 30 minutes when racing should be no different than doing it while JRA.

simple
04-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Hi all. I am looking for help deciding between the two wheelsests. These wheels will be used on a Campy equipped Peg for fast club rides. They will not be abused in races. I have other Enve wheels and appreciate their bomb proof property and great warranty. The Bora's are a bit lighter and I like the cosmetics too. I have no idea how they ride compared to the Enves. I am interested in tubulars. Thanks very much for your input.

I was 'dealing' with this exact same dilemma, decided on Bora 50 as I have the new 2015 (2016?) Bora 35. The new version are wider rim with an incredible braking surface; had lots of wet braking on these this spring and it's frwaking great. I want something a little deeper than he 35, but not as deep as the 6.7 I had not too long ago; they were a handful at speed on descents and the braking was decent at the time but poor by comparison to the Bora.
Was actually leaning towards Enve, to mix it up, but after the last couple of twisty 45+ mph descents in the last few weekends and a century this past weekend my mind's made up. Wheels are SOLID even at my 180 pound weight.
Go for the grey stickers of you want to go less-blingy; the lace pattern is a dead give away.

simple
04-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Also: buy them from the Grey Market (UK), look around and the Ultra can be had at same price as Enve.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2016, 06:24 AM
the biggest advantage that the enve's have over the bora's are when they are crashed. you can replace each part individually at a reasonable (for a high end wheel) cost. buying a new rim or hub for a bora isn't practical. having said that, bora's have a stellar reputation. both seem to be well regarded in braking as the surface of both are new for this year.

fwiw, i never understood why racing a wheel would abuse it any more than "regular" riding. abuse is abuse whether you are racing or JRA. putting down 300W for 30 minutes when racing should be no different than doing it while JRA.

Why-Get the Boras, BTW-

velomonkey
04-20-2016, 07:27 AM
This has been discussed prior and the concensus is Bora (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132573).

I have had both and the ride quality of the Bora was/is much better. As other have said, there is no real reason to get the Ultra over the One except for the carbon hubs.

My Enve setup was with King R45 ceramic and my Bora is the One with not-as-high quality hub. Bora hands down.

FlashUNC
04-20-2016, 07:56 AM
Neither. Bora 35s.

r_mutt
04-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Why-Get the Boras, BTW-

but that's crashing a wheel, not racing a wheel. a crash can happen if your not racing as well. i'f i've raced a wheel for a season, and it was only used for races and not training and never crashed, would it be subject to more stress?

beeatnik
04-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Boras. Stiffer and better hubs.

coffeecake
04-20-2016, 11:18 AM

During a race, I often do not have the liberty of choosing a line with perfect pavement (due to close proximity to other racers or moving up in the gutter, etc). As a result, I am sometimes running straight through cracks, holes, or other imperfections that I would dodge on a normal training ride.

madcow
04-20-2016, 03:51 PM
Both sets are fantastic wheels. As far as actual ride/spec differences go I'd say they are too small to really be of a concern. Enve has better support in the U.S. but Campag wheels rarely have a problem that requires support. In the end you're probably best going with what appeals to your aesthetic side.

uber
04-20-2016, 08:39 PM
A big thanks to my friends who took their time to share their opinions.

r_mutt
04-21-2016, 03:54 PM
During a race, I often do not have the liberty of choosing a line with perfect pavement (due to close proximity to other racers or moving up in the gutter, etc). As a result, I am sometimes running straight through cracks, holes, or other imperfections that I would dodge on a normal training ride.

this is true!

Heisenberg
04-21-2016, 09:44 PM
Boras. Stiffer and better hubs.

This. Was waffling between 4.5 to the carbon hub or the Ultra 50s. Ultra 50...no question after riding both. Much stiffer. Brakes better. Looks better. Lighter.

uber
04-22-2016, 05:50 PM
I am leaning towards the Boras. Some of you have commented that the Boras are stiffer than the Enve's. Is that necessarily better?