PDA

View Full Version : The Brooks Cambium

Germany_chris
04-19-2016, 12:52 PM
I did a search but most of the threads are for sale or swaps.

I'm going to take the B17 off my mountain bike and put it on the Peugeot when it gets back from the shop and that will leave the mountain bike with no saddle. I'd be interested in the forums thoughts on the Cambium before I spend 140 euro on one being as I could go get another B17 but the Cambium seems more mountain bikey than the B17 and well it's new and I've not had one *squirrel*

hollowgram5
04-19-2016, 01:10 PM
I did a search but most of the threads are for sale or swaps.

I'm going to take the B17 off my mountain bike and put it on the Peugeot when it gets back from the shop and that will leave the mountain bike with no saddle. I'd be interested in the forums thoughts on the Cambium before I spend 140 euro on one being as I could go get another B17 but the Cambium seems more mountain bikey than the B17 and well it's new and I've not had one *squirrel*
I just loaned one of my C17 saddles to a friend that rides a B17 normally. His immediate response the following day was how awesome it was. I have only ever owned the Cambiums from Brooks and really like them. Been debating picking up a C15 and even a C13 if I can find one at a decent price. My $.02 on it.

JMacII
04-19-2016, 06:56 PM
I have always been a regal guy and just tried the C17 and, so far, it's awesome. Easily the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. Part of that is probably fit, it's wider than the regal, and part of it is probably the natural give in the material. It is heavy, by modern standards real heavy. But the build quality is top notch. I got mine online new for $130.

Lovetoclimb
04-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Coming from more rigid road saddles, and being a long time Fizik Aliante fan, the C17 is a joy. I have 2+ years on one with somewhere north of 10k miles and it is comfortable every time I get on it. Can't compare to a B17 as I never owned or rode one of those. Despite being advertised as "no break in" they do change somewhat over time. PErhaps from riding it a lot, bum sweat (ewwww), or using on rough roads, mine has less than a pretty appearance now. Maybe even that notable Brooks droop in the middle as well.

Hilltopperny
04-19-2016, 09:22 PM
I own and ride both. The cambium is a comfortable out of the box saddle that doesn't dissapoint. It isn't exactly like riding a b17 but if you like the b17 you should like the cambium as well. I even bought a c13 for my carbon bike and am enjoying it quite a bit. The cambium line and the brooks leather saddles are tough to beat even if they are heavier.

Gsinill
04-19-2016, 09:36 PM
Like the C17 on my CX (i.e. rain) bike, even better on my fat bike.

betahprod
04-19-2016, 09:52 PM
Honestly, nothing in my opinion compares to a leather brooks saddle. Been finding my C17 hard on the bones of my arse after a long ride compared to the B17.

scharny
04-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Honestly, nothing in my opinion compares to a leather brooks saddle. Been finding my C17 hard on the bones of my arse after a long ride compared to the B17.
I agree with this, but I still like my relatively new (900 miles) C17 on my road bike for the following reasons:

I don't like the fact that the leather brooks saddles need so much maintenance
living in a wet, rainy place, my B17 got so soggy that it started pulling off the rivets in the back, creating sharp edges that cut my riding shorts.
My C17 is still more comfortable than any road saddle I've used, other than a B17

My old B17 has been moved to my singlespeed MTB, which I ride 75% out of the saddle. When I do sit down, it fits like a glove and it's really comfy.

rpm
04-20-2016, 11:10 AM
I love the C17 on my more upright gravel bike. I tried one on my go-fast bike, but took it off in favor of a NOS titanium railed Aliante which I found on sale. The C17 is a special Levi's denim one, and it looked killer on my blue bike, but the Aliante feels faster on that bike. I may put the C17 in the classifieds.

SpeedyChix
04-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Any mtb riders using this saddle? Thoughts?

geordanh
04-20-2016, 11:44 AM
The cambium could wreck your jeans if you commute in jeans. Found it hard to get settled in the right spot in jeans as well. So much grip.

I think the cambium would be sweet for mtb. That's I would do with mine if I still had it.

Germany_chris
04-21-2016, 11:12 AM
After a conversation with my wife where she spend a great deal of time checking out her scalp I'm going to pick one up next week.

dumbod
04-22-2016, 03:16 PM
I just got a C13. The jury's still out because I only have two 20 mile rides on it but so far I like it a lot. I'll let you know when I spend 3-4 hours on it.

geordanh
04-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Anyone have opinions about cutting out the center of a c13? Such a sweet saddle thinking about revisiting cambium. Not concerned about the weight, just numbness etc.