PDA

View Full Version : Crank axle really stuck in BB

Chinchillin
04-19-2016, 10:22 AM
I'd like to swap my power2max to my new frame, but the thing is stuck in the BB like I've never seen. I really wailed on it with a rubber mallet to no avail. It's a pressfit BB, so I can't unscrew the cups. I'm considering taking it back to the LBS that installed it. Anyone have any suggestions?

CiclistiCliff
04-19-2016, 10:37 AM
How long has it been in there for?

I've found Rotor PF30 cranks to be tougher to remove than other PF30 stuff, but it's not consistent enough to be an issue.

Last Rotor I pulled was on a C'Dale with a new bb. I had installed it a month prior but this one required a co-worker to support the frame while I used the mallet.

Worst feeling ever.

Chinchillin
04-19-2016, 10:54 AM
How long has it been in there for?

I've found Rotor PF30 cranks to be tougher to remove than other PF30 stuff, but it's not consistent enough to be an issue.

Last Rotor I pulled was on a C'Dale with a new bb. I had installed it a month prior but this one required a co-worker to support the frame while I used the mallet.

Worst feeling ever.

It's been in there since mid December. It's not PF30 though. It's the FSA gossamer with 24mm axle diameter and a shimano pressfit BB. I guess this is a common pressfit issue. I think I'll just take it into the shop. I'm afraid of damaging the electronics by hitting it too hard.

CiclistiCliff
04-19-2016, 11:08 AM
It's been in there since mid December. It's not PF30 though. It's the FSA gossamer with 24mm axle diameter and a shimano pressfit BB. I guess this is a common pressfit issue. I think I'll just take it into the shop. I'm afraid of damaging the electronics by hitting it too hard.

FSA actually measures out to 24.2mm. Have them install a FSA bb.

cachagua
04-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Maybe a gear puller? Maybe a length of threaded rod and a handful of nuts and washers? If you can cobble together a tool, then you have it for subsequent installations as well as removals.

Chinchillin
04-19-2016, 11:18 AM
FSA actually measures out to 24.2mm. Have them install a FSA bb.

Does that mean this same thing is going to happen when I install this crank in a Chris King threadfit24 BB with their conversion kit #8? Also, I'm putting the shimano crank back in to sell the bike, so I'm not worried about installing an FSA BB.

Chinchillin
04-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Deleted

Jad
04-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Don't know if this is applicable, but when I had trouble getting my BB30 spindle out, using cold compressed air on the inside of the spindle made it much easier to remove.

kramnnim
04-19-2016, 11:34 AM
I was going to suggest a hammer+block of wood, but that might not be great for the electronics in the spider...

Chinchillin
04-19-2016, 12:18 PM
Don't know if this is applicable, but when I had trouble getting my BB30 spindle out, using cold compressed air on the inside of the spindle made it much easier to remove.

Did you just blow a CO2 canister into it?

Jad
04-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Did you just blow a CO2 canister into it?

No--I got one of those "duster" cans of compressed air that has a fine nozzle to direct the air. Apparently you turn it upside down to get the cold stuff, but it may cool either way.