PDA

View Full Version : Cycling shorts...options for the mtb crowd

Dave B
04-19-2016, 10:15 AM
Looking for some direction regarding cycling shorts. I have always simply used bibs and a jersey. It seems that a lot of folks are switching to less of a racer look when it comes to mtbing. So I have tried a few pairs and while they fit (waist) when I am pedaling the legs get "stuck" on my thighs and knees. I don't know if it is they are too tight or too long. Might simply be the latter.

I suppose my alternative would simply to wear a set of bibs under some shorts, but was curious if any of you who ride baggy mtb/cycling shorts have recommendations for something pretty loose in the thigh.

I guess I have big thighs.

thwart
04-19-2016, 10:31 AM
I don't own much Rapha but their touring shorts with a padded brief (or regular road shorts) underneath work very nicely.

But my thighs are likely smaller than yours...

Dave B
04-19-2016, 10:39 AM
I do understand that often the more you spend the better the equipment might be. I don't think the money for Rapha is the answer for me.

Remember I am the guy who buys China bikes that piss people off. :rolleyes:

But I do appreciate the guidance

Schmed
04-19-2016, 11:12 AM
I have a pair of Zoic baggies and wear regular mandex underneath. They are the perfect length that doesn't hang on my thighs. I don't know the version of Zoics - bought them about 8 years ago. A pair of Fox shorts are a bit too long and tend to hang, so I don't wear them much.

thwart
04-19-2016, 11:22 AM
I don't think the money for Rapha is the answer for me.

I hear you. Bought 'em here from someone who had ridden himself into a smaller size.

Dave B
04-19-2016, 11:38 AM
I hear you. Bought 'em here from someone who had ridden himself into a smaller size.

That is probably the only way Iwould go too. However,. I am not built like a cyclist. Picture linebacker who got chubby. There is muscle there somewhere, but covered in many layers of lard...you know my own personal air bag. :)

Appreciate the help fellas.

hummus_aquinas
04-19-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm fond of the utility short shorts by specialized. I think it's a 8.5" inseam. Other than that it's cut-off dickies or the ones with the mail carrier cut.

crossjunkee
04-19-2016, 11:55 AM
I'm guilty of wearing my race kits while mtn biking. I like to train and race in the same kit. I can't wear baggy shorts when mtn biking. They always get snagged on the seat at the worst time. Try wearing regular bibs with a club ride type shirt if you want the casual look.

grawk
04-19-2016, 11:57 AM
I wear road bibs under shorts

p nut
04-19-2016, 12:00 PM
I'd worn Oakley and Fox shorts for a long time. They were great for AM type riding, as they had extra reinforcements in the right areas. Now that I'm more into XC and casual riding (at less than 30 miles/ride), I just wear some cheap running shorts from Target (and Rapha wool undies). You stand up way more in MTB, so I don't miss the chamois. If I ever did the Tour Divide or CTR, then proper shorts would be warranted.

Dave B
04-19-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm guilty of wearing my race kits while mtn biking. I like to train and race in the same kit. I can't wear baggy shorts when mtn biking. They always get snagged on the seat at the worst time. Try wearing regular bibs with a club ride type shirt if you want the casual look.

Yeah this is the problem I have too. Yesterday I put on a pair of specific baggy cycling shorts that had a removable liner (padded) in them. I couldn't get past the fact that my crack was showing (it wasn't, but felt like it was) until the padded liner rode up in the back and the boys were accidentally smashed by the saddle.

I stopped for a second so I could breathe again, but kept fighting the damn shorts and their desire to move around in places they shouldn't and then move them off of me knee blah blah. As I already stated.

I am 100% fine with bibs under shorts, but as is always the case I wasn't sure if there were magic in dem dere baggy shorts.

Might just head to the sporting goods store to find some loose hiking shorts.

jmal
04-19-2016, 12:22 PM
What's wrong with bibs and a jersey? Unless you are doing DH where you require some armor, bibs are the best option out there. No tightness around the waist, and nothing getting caught on your legs or your bike. Putting shorts on over bibs is just adding excess material that serves no function. I also do not know when or why people began to equate bibs and jerseys specifically with a racer look. They are simply the right tools for the job, whether racing or simply riding.

Dave B
04-19-2016, 12:31 PM
What's wrong with bibs and a jersey? Unless you are doing DH where you require some armor, bibs are the best option out there. No tightness around the waist, and nothing getting caught on your legs or your bike. Putting shorts on over bibs is just adding excess material that serves no function. I also do not know when or why people began to equate bibs and jerseys specifically with a racer look. They are simply the right tools for the job, whether racing or simply riding.

Noting at all wrong with them. I have noticed more and more folks wearing more casual stuff for trail riding and less and less in jersey and bibs/shorts. I am 100% ok with the latter, just was curious if there was somethign I am missing out on. The mtb shorts (cycling specific) just aren't confidence inspiring (the feel not in aiding my cycling prowess) as they get caught on my knees and just rub the wrong way. Just asking the collective if you will.

ofcounsel
04-19-2016, 12:36 PM
I've had really good luck with the Performance Nevado Shorts. They're not expensive, and fit well. Relaxed fit, and not too long so they don't get hung up on your knees. Not as "technical" a short. But solid for everyday riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExnCRcZbJrU

Comfy for 3+ hour rides.

I'm also a big fan of the Specialized Atlas XC Pro short/bib combo.

And I absolutely love the fit of the Club Ride casual jerseys. They're not particularly inexpensive, but they are super well made and they pay a lot of attention to fit on the bike.

benb
04-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Why do you care what others are wearing? I have a pair of baggies, they suck just because they're baggy... I wore them a couple times and then went back to wearing my bibs. If bibs work wear them.

No one has ever said anything to me.. the guys who wear baggies are mostly seen stopped on the side of the trail or riding the lifts at the ski areas. Not a lot of overlap where I ride, if someone was to say something I probably wouldn't even hear them anyway.

And that crowd is super nice, way nicer than roadies, they're not going to give you a hard time.

Dave B
04-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Why do you care what others are wearing? I have a pair of baggies, they suck just because they're baggy... I wore them a couple times and then went back to wearing my bibs. If bibs work wear them.

No one has ever said anything to me.. the guys who wear baggies are mostly seen stopped on the side of the trail or riding the lifts at the ski areas. Not a lot of overlap where I ride, if someone was to say something I probably wouldn't even hear them anyway.

And that crowd is super nice, way nicer than roadies, they're not going to give you a hard time.

Either I am not stating it correctly or you are reading it wrong. I don't worry about other's opinions. I am curious if baggy shorts would be more comfortable as I have tried (very few) them and cannot find a good set. I wear bibs and jersey 99% of the time. I am just curious and instead of going out and trying a boat load I was asking for feedback.

I live in Indiana there aren't mountains here. No downhill. The closest trail to me is pan flat that I used to ride my old cross bkes on. Again just reaching out to learn not to conform.

You are right though there are many folks who do not like others to think, buy, or step out of the box. I just have an obsession with knowing and when I am intrigued I scratch the itch.

p nut
04-19-2016, 01:21 PM
I live in Indiana there aren't mountains here. No downhill. The closest trail to me is pan flat that I used to ride my old cross bkes on. Again just reaching out to learn not to conform...

So why a mountain bike? Just curious. If I lived there, I'd be all over a bike like a Soul Craft Dirtbomb.

Also, just another suggestion: I've always wanted to try out Rapha shorts. Looks not too baggy and great for MTB.

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/randonn%C3%A9e-shorts/product/RDS04

benb
04-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Either I am not stating it correctly or you are reading it wrong. I don't worry about other's opinions. I am curious if baggy shorts would be more comfortable as I have tried (very few) them and cannot find a good set. I wear bibs and jersey 99% of the time. I am just curious and instead of going out and trying a boat load I was asking for feedback.

I live in Indiana there aren't mountains here. No downhill. The closest trail to me is pan flat that I used to ride my old cross bkes on. Again just reaching out to learn not to conform.

You are right though there are many folks who do not like others to think, buy, or step out of the box. I just have an obsession with knowing and when I am intrigued I scratch the itch.

IMO baggy shorts are not going to be more comfy.. they exist strictly for looks and/or for folks who have a mental block that lycra is (insert homophobic slur).

I wanted to try them mostly for rides where I was stopping to go eat or hang out with my wife and kid, I do occasionally feel odd if I stop on a bike ride to eat or something, particularly if it's a super casual ride. They don't really even work that well for that.. they're a little strange with a normal jersey, and if you're not wearing a normal jersey you end up with you wallet and keys in the shorts and that just doesn't work that well either. But it's not like my wife or kid care, my wife wears Lycra shorts when we all go riding. And I've been walking into various places in Lycra for close to 20 years and no one has ever cared.

I don't think they're really about Armor either. It's not like motorcyclists wear baggy/flappy pants due to the need to wear armor. Armor works better in tight/form-fitting clothes.

christian
04-19-2016, 01:48 PM
I often wear TLD Ruckus shorts on the mtb. They are lightweight, have good venting, good pocket placement for pedaling, and stretch panels on the side of the leg so that they don't bind while pedaling.

I have gravitated toward baggies for mtb for the simple reason that I wear a hydration pack when riding, which means you can't access jersey pockets, so I carry my phone and anything I need to be able to immediately access in my shorts pockets. But they're not as comfortable as bibs, for sure, so if that's not an issue, I'd stick with bibs.

PeregrineA1
04-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Our regular group is about 50/50 baggies/spandex. I started in baggies and went to spandex a few years ago, haven't looked back. And I no longer snag my crotch on the front of the seat on steep transitions.

benb
04-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Totally forgot about the hydration pack thing.. I never MTB long enough to need one (I do own one but only really use it hiking), and hydration packs plus drop bars are about as uncool as downhill mountain bikes + lycra. At least 50% of the time I go into the woods I go on drop bars.

gdw
04-19-2016, 02:03 PM
I started wearing baggies because most of my rides were well over 2 hours and I could carry gel packets and energy bars in the right cargo pocket and put the empty wrappers in the left. It was much easier than trying to access a rear jersey pocket while wearing a Camelbak or pack and more comfortable than sticking the gel packs underneath the Lycra short's leg band. I've never experienced the problems some report despite using them in 6 Leadville 100's, several 24 hour events, and numerous multiday bikepacking trips. I typically cut out the liners they come with if the factory chamois is uncomfortable and wear regular cycling shorts underneath which also allows me to extend the life of some of my old shorts where the fabric is turning transparent but the chamois is still good.

Nema Crown Jewells would probably work for Mr President but might no longer be made. Some of the Fox and Pearl Izumi models might fit as well.

Zoodles
04-19-2016, 02:06 PM
'Racing suits' are indeed the most comfortable. I started wearing baggies in my local woods, however, to stop wrecking my road gear by snagging it on branches etc. I wear old shorts under some target running shorts with s target c1 shirt.

I also wear a hydration pack, mostly because I don't want to land on my pump or lose my id and because the area is downtown and popular with dog walkers and junkies and I don't want to drink whatever splashes on my bottle.

I think mtb'rs and roadies alike fall into groupthink and wear whatever they think is the thing.

p nut
04-19-2016, 03:17 PM
When I wear baggies, I can't stand to have anything in the pockets. Stuff brushing up against my leg with each pedal stroke--no thanks. If I don't stuff food/phone in my jersey pocket or camelbak, I stash them in a top tube bag, like Revelate Gas Tank or Feed bag.

avalonracing
04-19-2016, 03:40 PM
IMO baggy shorts are not going to be more comfy.. they exist strictly for looks and/or for folks who have a mental block that lycra is (insert homophobic slur).

Yup, it's a backward trend for people who are insecure about wearing lycra. I know some guys who won't wear lycra on the road.

Tickdoc
04-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Fwiw, I've got a pair of new Rapha touring shorts for sale:D

sevencyclist
04-19-2016, 04:18 PM
I feel for you President.

I have tried various baggy or slim shorts and have not found the holy grail. So I have stuck to the tight stuff and then keep a pair of regular shorts in the car to cover myself when I stop on the way back if I ever feel the need.

XC_racing
04-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Try this Endura Hummvee: https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-hummvee-short-00122297

Their medium is probably U.S. small in sizing.

Just don't use the included liner, wear the baggy over your favourite bib.

Adjustable thigh and waist and several pockets and vents.

Using these for at least 2 years on MTB/CX and road touring, don't seem to notice them after a while.

The only thing is these are not the lightest baggy but is quite durable.

Endura makes other baggies but not tried them yet.

gdw
04-19-2016, 05:14 PM
I'd wear Lycra but don't want drivers to think that I'm a roadie when riding on pavement to the local trails.:banana:

Worthless trivia: Aussie Jesse Carlsson finished second in the 2013 Tour Divide wearing Rapha touring shorts.

Repack Rider
04-19-2016, 07:39 PM
I wear bibs under cargo shorts. I keep the cargo shorts up with suspenders under my jersey, so the crotch doesn't hang up on the saddle. Cargo shorts have lots of pockets, and they're cheap at the thrift store.

I don't care to wear Lycra by itself, it has no abrasion resistance, and when you sit down on the ground you might as well be naked.

coylifut
04-19-2016, 08:07 PM
on the mountain bike, I'm more of an all mountain style rider and wear baggies for abrasion coverage, knee pads and sometimes elbow pads.

for baggies, I use cheap ripstop nylon cargo shorts that are somewhat loose at the waist. I have affixed riveted suspender buttons and keep the shorts up with minimalist suspenders. I wear bibs underneath.

Because I ride with a dropper post and the suspenders keep the shorts inline, I have no issues with catching the crotch on the nose of the saddle. I've done long 3-5 hour xc rides with this set up without notice.

I don't prefer traditional mtb shorts because they are usually are kept up by a wide and tight elastic band. I simply don't find them comfortable around the diaphragm. especially on long grinding climbs.

for most rides these days, I use a cage on the bike and and a Da Kine fanny pack with another bottle on the belt. I like carrying the weight low and prefer not to maintain a hydro bladder.

Ronsonic
04-19-2016, 08:42 PM
I just retired a pair of Zoic baggies, the liner died after many years. Doesn't matter much to me either way. If I'm going to be driving to trails and running errands or shopping on the way, baggies. Otherwise and especially if I'm planning on hammering it I'll wear the bibs. I've always got the camelbak with me off-road so will just wear a t shirt sometimes if it's not hot. Full kit or bum on a bike, really depends on the mood and the planned ride.

Baggies never pedal as smooth as bibs. I just don't notice after awhile.

Fuzzy2964
04-19-2016, 08:51 PM
I go with bibs under cheap board shorts (baggy swim suit). Find a board short that fits the way you want and doesn’t have a liner - works for me.

DRZRM
04-19-2016, 08:55 PM
I like the Giro New Road shorts if I don't need knee pads (so on non-technical XC) and I usually ride them on the hardtail. Tight and stretchy, they fit like the Rapha touring shorts actually. Not great for pockets though. If I need knee pads--I hate that strip of skin over my knee in shorter shorts--I wear something longer and baggier.

jimcav
04-19-2016, 09:44 PM
I go with bibs under cheap board shorts (baggy swim suit). Find a board short that fits the way you want and doesn’t have a liner - works for me.

90 degrees. 3 hrs quality road bib with no-liner thin board shorts. I would just wear bibs but I always manage to snag something so tend to wear an old jersey or more often an ultra thin wool t; and the board shorts

lzuk
04-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Shorts over bibs-it saves the bibs if you crash. Old guys wear what they brought. Young guys and girls mostly wear their kit.

Dirtdiggler
04-20-2016, 05:48 AM
I wear bibs under the Endura Humvee (liner removable), or Dickies shorts, purchased at walmart or Azonic motocross shorts..

malcolm
04-20-2016, 09:10 AM

I wanted to try them mostly for rides where I was stopping to go eat or hang out with my wife and kid, I do occasionally feel odd if I stop on a bike ride to eat or something, particularly if it's a super casual ride. They don't really even work that well for that.. they're a little strange with a normal jersey, and if you're not wearing a normal jersey you end up with you wallet and keys in the shorts and that just doesn't work that well either. But it's not like my wife or kid care, my wife wears Lycra shorts when we all go riding. And I've been walking into various places in Lycra for close to 20 years and no one has ever cared.

I don't think they're really about Armor either. It's not like motorcyclists wear baggy/flappy pants due to the need to wear armor. Armor works better in tight/form-fitting clothes.

This is pretty much my opinion as well. I've been mtn biking predominately for the past about 5 years or so. I wore the same stuff I wear on my road bikes and noticed the guys with the baggy shorts with pockets and though that may be the way to go. I tried it a few times then it was right back to a regular jersey and bibs. The baggy shorts catch on the saddle and bunch up and just generally were not as comfortable. Other than maybe a map you can't really carry much in the pockets with out making all the aforementioned problems worse.
Where I ride it seems I'm seeing more and more people in roadie attire out on the trails. When I go to mtn mecca places like utah and colorado most of the folks going up as well as down seem to be in roadie attire and the ones on the chair lifts and in the vans going up and then coming down on the downhill only routes have the baggy mtn stuff. Just my observations.

xjoex
04-20-2016, 09:25 AM
I wear baggies (mostly Patagonia Board Shorts) with either liners or dare I say, Patagonia boxers.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/b72e08b044e7190ec7716271a52d19db/tumblr_o5byeoSLtj1u1jegwo1_1280.jpg

Wear whatever makes you comfy and happy.

-Joe

dustyrider
04-20-2016, 01:07 PM
I like liners. Folks do the same with bibs. You get your choice of chamois and your choice of short. Plus the shorts can be used for something other than...gasp...biking!

kurto
04-20-2016, 01:17 PM
I've tried a ton of different baggies for mtb, and I think the best bang for buck is with DAKINE. I've gotten a couple pairs (one came with snap-in detachable liner brief) for pretty cheap from backcountry. Someone suggested the Rapha randonee shorts, and they are awesome. I bought a pair when they were 1/2 off, and if you can find some of them for a reasonable price get them. The only thing disappointing about them is the retail price :eek:

crownjewelwl
04-20-2016, 01:33 PM
i've had good luck with dirtbaggies

the bibs are really ventilated so wearing shorts over them is tolerable

i think the point of overshorts is protection and durability...i'd have destroyed all of my rapha bibs by this point

they are spendy, but the acre mtb shorts are fantastic