PDA

View Full Version : Good luck or bad?

jischr
04-17-2016, 07:30 PM
32 miles of riding, 40 yards from my car, pfft-pfft-pfft-pfft from the rear tire. Can’t decide if I had good luck or bad luck with that.

rwsaunders
04-17-2016, 08:07 PM
I'd call that good luck.

CSKeller
04-17-2016, 08:28 PM
Yep, having a successful ride and getting a flat at the end at home is very fortunate.

Installing a brand new tire and getting a catastrophic, irrepairable flat on the first ride more than 10 miles from home is bad luck.

cheers to good luck and a good ride! :beer:

Black Dog
04-17-2016, 08:55 PM
That is good bad luck!

Tickdoc
04-17-2016, 10:15 PM
That is good bad luck!

Or the worst kind of good luck!

Or, is it the best kind of bad luck?

I'm confused.:bike:

onsight512
04-17-2016, 10:35 PM
That's good luck. Flats are pretty much a fact of cycling.

Louis
04-17-2016, 10:37 PM
I know I've told this story here before, but it's been long enough that I'll tell it again:

Years ago, when I lived in a small apartment complex, I used to do a cool-down lap or two around the complex when I got home from a ride. So one day after an uneventful ride I'm slowly cruising around on my loop around the apartment buildings when my front tire goes over a piece of mulch. This caused it to flip up in the air then begin to land with it pointing at just the right angle up towards the back at just the right time for my rear tire to roll over it and get a puncture. It isn't as if the mulch would have stayed at that angle, because it couldn't possible have balanced in that position. Everything had to align exactly right for it to happen. One could run over that bit of much a million more times and (assuming it was able to not get destroyed in the process) I bet you wouldn't be able to duplicate that flat.

I don't know that it was good luck that I didn't get the flat until my ride was over, or bad luck that the stars / mulch would align just so and cause the flat. I tend to think the later.