PDA

View Full Version : Drinking during a time trial

bcm119
06-19-2006, 04:54 PM
This has nothing to do with Pinot, scotch or tequila... its on-topic for a change.

I have a hard time taking in any liquid during a time trial, because the short pause in breathing needed to swallow throws me into anaerobic breathing mode- shorter, faster breathing. It really messes me up because I'm otherwise pretty good at getting into a zone just a hair below that threshold and breathing very deeply. Also, even a gulp sometimes wants to come right back up, and I find it hard to get enough liquid in me.

Its usually not a problem because the only time trials I do are very short. However, Sunday I did a time trial that took a little over an hour (all climbing) and I was only able to drink about 4 oz of water. As a result I cramped up pretty badly in the last km push- even my foot and hand cramped, although that may have been due to cold temps at the top of the climb. Any advice?

JohnS
06-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Have you tried drinking more before you start the TT? Also, try drinking something that you really like the taste of.

Too Tall
06-19-2006, 06:38 PM
A clever trick is to use one of the really small camelbacks under a skinsuit just behind your neck and ditch the harness....snake the tube thru the straps in your helmet and "shape" the tube so it is ready to bite without use of hands.

Lincoln
06-19-2006, 07:16 PM
I tried the Camel Back in a TT and in MtB races, it didn't work for me. Too much work/breathing interuptus for too little H2O. I switched back to a bottle and learned to drink about 1/2 a bottle in a couple of big quick squirts. If you had to you could back off just a little to get in the water. You only need a couple of these "big gulps" per hour.
YMWillV--try both (in training first).

catulle
06-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Oh, the old days when one would carry a bottle or two on the bars, and sometimes add straws to the bottles to make it easier to drink. Drinking from a straw won´t interfere with your breathing as much, atmo.

39cross
06-19-2006, 08:13 PM
...Drinking from a straw won't interfere with your breathing as much...
Which do you recommend...paper or plastic?

catulle
06-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Which do you recommend...paper or plastic?

I'm partial to these, atmo...

manet
06-19-2006, 09:25 PM
____

obtuse
06-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh, the old days when one would carry a bottle or two on the bars, and sometimes add straws to the bottles to make it easier to drink. Drinking from a straw won´t interfere with your breathing as much, atmo.

what are you talking about? drinking from a straw is for coffee in atmo's car. bottles on the handlebar are mp tri geek nonsense for those that like to have a buffet on their bike....

we won't even talk about how they disavow mammallian decorum by pi'ssing where the eat....namely on the bicycle while riding in the aero position; presumably on the turd shaped foods stuck to their top tubes.

obtuse

The Spider
06-20-2006, 02:52 AM
holding the water/liquid in your mouth for a few seconds before swallowing?

Also, drink from a Arundle TT cradle and bidon, it will make you faster!