PDA

View Full Version : Seattle bike shops

sjbraun
04-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Is there a bike coop or a shop that specializes in restoring older bikes in the Seattle area? My son needs a new bike, nothing too fancy, just something reliable for running errands. He's a musician, (Skyrosquartet.com) so his budget is limited.

Thanks

cadence90
04-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Don't Davidson do that?

oldfatslow
04-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Give Ascent Cycles a try. They just split off of Second Ascent and offer a range of new and used bikes and gear along with great service.

https://www.ascentcycles.com/

one60
04-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Consignment shop with decent selection of bikes & frames. Also carry new bikes Raleigh & a few others. Ask about their second shop a few blocks away as they each have different selection.

gpendergast
04-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Last time I was in town I stopped by 20/20 Cycles. They were friendly and seemed to slant towards steel commuters/touring bikes.

Jad
04-17-2016, 09:13 PM
When I lived in Fremont/Seattle, there was a little shop that rented space to work on your bike with access to all their tools. Could be a cool option if he's interested in fixing something up himself. There may be better coop options around for all I know though. It was Wright Brothers Cycle Works.

gianni
04-17-2016, 09:14 PM
I would try recycled cycles in the u district and bike works in columbia city.

CaptStash
04-18-2016, 05:26 AM
You can also try Sprocketts in Magnolia. He's relatively new, but a good guy.

His best bet though would probably be Craigslist though. It shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap 1X.

CaptStash....

drewellison
04-18-2016, 01:31 PM
JRA may be a possibility. Nice guys who own/run the shop. They have a brand new location on 85th, Crown Hill area.

http://jrabikeshop.com/index.html

ojingoh
04-18-2016, 07:41 PM
I would try recycled cycles in the u district and bike works in columbia city.

Nailed it. Also Free Range in Fremont.

jefenger
04-18-2016, 08:39 PM
There's also a Recycled Cycle in Fremont right next to Davidson/333fab.

cachagua
04-19-2016, 01:47 AM
Damn.

I felt like I went through a dry spell here, through a lot of the '90s and the aughts, but are we BURIED in good bike shops in Seattle now, or what?

I feel lucky.

I think the problem was a few places tried to be great shops, each with their own idea of what that was... Now, Elliot Bay *was* great, but they didn't try to be, they just were. A number of others tried, and the results ranged from superciliousness and arrogance ("great" is French?) to outright hostility ("great" is Prussian, I don't know)... and simultaneously the internet arrived, and so it's been as easy as it's been satisfying for me to swear never to set foot in XYZ shop as long as I live. But who wants revenge, justice for a perceived slight? You want a cable, a tube, a BB installation, is what you want. And therefore, good shops.

So yes: Recycled, Sprockets, JRA, Wright Bros., Free Range, in no particular order, and others as well. Is "thriving community" too strong a term to use?