PDA

View Full Version : Good idea for a helmet

CSKeller
04-17-2016, 03:17 PM
This looks great for those that commute and ride at night often.

Anyone buy one or see it in person?

As a person that puts a lot of miles in commuting to work, I'm all for better visibility and safety from the mindless occupants 'operating' cars and trucks on the road. :crap:

https://lumoshelmet.co/

ultraman6970
04-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Thought on this thing like 30 years ago, surprise me took that long to come by, hope f... Mike Sinyard doesnt have some patents already since years ago with this concept.

Wish this guy luck, great product. My kids helmet had something similar but it is a super small led in the back of the helmet.

dgauthier
04-17-2016, 06:57 PM
To really be seen you need a helmet that sends a text to the car behind you, telling the driver to "look up"...

oldfatslow
04-17-2016, 07:58 PM
Too really be seen you need a helmet that sends a text to the car behind you, telling the driver to "look up"...

That's awesome and completely true. Laughing out loud as the reality of it is so disturbing.

CSKeller
04-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Too really be seen you need a helmet that sends a text to the car behind you, telling the driver to "look up"...

Maybe it should be followed by "Move over or you will be shot"

Seems like people are too glued to their phones to realize they are driving a 2 ton missile at high rates of speed.

Peter P.
04-17-2016, 09:04 PM
I think that's a fabulous idea!

As an alternative, more manufacturers should create adapters for their typical battery powered headlight/taillight so they could easily mount to your existing helmet, preferably with a quick release on/off attachment.

henrypretz
04-17-2016, 09:14 PM
The Bill Nye endorsement meant more before Sarah Palin said he's as much a scientist as she is ... :eek::rolleyes:

cinema
04-17-2016, 11:45 PM

so goddamn true :crap:

jmoore
04-17-2016, 11:56 PM
I like it! I'd like to see a kit that you could retrofit to an existing helmet.

Mark McM
04-18-2016, 10:39 AM
More lights is probably a good thing. But I'm not sure the head (helmet) is the best place to put them. Lights placed on the bike are always pointed in the right direction - the red light on the back always points to the back, white lights on the front always point toward the front, yellow lights on the side always point toward the side.

But on a helmet, if you turn your head to the right, the white light points toward the right, the red light points toward the left, and the yellow lights point toward the front and back. When you look down (as we often do when cycling), the white light points down, and the red light points up.

The turn signals are interesting, but they might be confusing if the rider turns his head, and the signals are either on the wrong side, or not visible to other road users.

Helmet mounted lights are good for seeing (you can point them were you want to see), but I'm not sure they are the best for being seen.

OldCrank
04-18-2016, 12:50 PM
actually I think the movement of the rider's head helps.

I picked up an LED blinker as trade-show swag years back. It has a flat clip, maybe for a pocket or belt? It clips right on to the the adjustable helmet band.

It faces rear, angled a little to my left. Where the car drivers are.

So there's a blinker under my saddle, and another one ~ 2-1/2' higher, and it's undulating a bit. Since you can see the light across almost 180 degrees, I'm not worried about the exact angles of my head or approaching cars. It's better than nothing. Height should help.

OK back to that helmet: pretty cool. I would certainly not expect cars to respect the turn signals, but hey here's hoping. And maybe you can see the Garmin display at night!

19wisconsin64
04-20-2016, 08:00 AM
And only $134 on pre-order!

This is great innovation!

Even more LED (more side LED lights) would improve upon this great design. And hopefully the price of this and similar helmet designs to come will become lower and more affordable.

It's great that you can get a good Bell helmet for $20 now (at Costco, Amazon, Walmart, etc.) now. It will be even better when mass-sold helmets have lots of LED lights.

Avoiding an accident is better than protecting in an accident.

Cheers to the folks who brought this to market!