PDA

View Full Version : Another OT - Old style lighting crossbar mount

Veloo
04-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Sorry... another OT from me.

Looking to install a new light in this OLD house. Got one of these cross bars with a threaded sliding nut.

Anyone ever remove one of these? Looks pretty wonky. Not sure how long the metal cross bar is but removing it will mean a lot of plaster and dust.

We had a very simple light in this spot before. The new light is a hanging multi LED light and is about 10 lbs.

http://unionlightingandfurnishings.com/lighting/chandeliersaccessories/largependants/wn0734702851.html

Tandem Rider
04-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Have you opened up the new light for a look yet?

Most ceiling mount lights use some version of a "crossbar" to mount the "tube" in the middle. The "tube" is actually a standard pipe thread and the new one will probably thread right in making the new light installation pretty painless.

Veloo
04-17-2016, 02:33 PM
The new light comes with hardware that will mount onto the new silver, round electrical box. The box is secured to the cross bar with a nut that threads onto that sliding threaded part.
I'm just wondering if I should rip out the cross bar and install a newer, up to date mount.

I do have a habit of not leaving things well enough alone. Also tend to go overboard and do things like install a coat rack that will hold 300 lbs.

Tandem Rider
04-17-2016, 04:25 PM
If the threads are the same, I would avoid ripping up the ceiling and use the existing hardware. The existing looks to be cast rather than stamped, cast is stronger anyway.

jimdohertyjim
04-17-2016, 07:36 PM
If the new light fits into the old box use the old box. The only thing you may get with a new cross bar and box is the depth of the box. The depth helps when pushing the wire back into the box. Pre-fold the wires into the box before wire nutting to the light. It helps get the wires into the box.

Plus most newer cross bars and box combo are just stamped sheet metal bars and plastic box and are going to be more flexible than the one in the wall.

Bob Ross
04-17-2016, 07:56 PM
I've installed three different modern overhead ceiling lights in the past ~5 years, and every single one of them worked just fine with 40-70 year old inceiling hardware such as the nut & crossbar pictured in OP.